5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 7:46 AM by artaxerxes

Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?

artaxerxes

So far I have located the Intel® Desktop Board DQ67OW Executive Series

This is a mATX board and if it had one more PCI slot - it would be perfect.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/desktops/desktop-board-dq67ow-executive-brief.html

Any others?

• 1. Re: Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?
          fsofos

Almost all Intel Desktop Boards from the Classic Series feature a parallel Port.

• 2. Re: Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?
            Flying_Kiwi

Although there are other boards with what you want in the Classic Series as mentioned, they don't all have the same security/business oriented features as the Exec series and (I suspect more importantly for you) as they're not using the Q67 chipset the PCI slot functionality may not be the same as what you are used to - in short the slot is in every way normal PCI but the functionality is not!

Several people have posted on these forums about certain PCI (as opposed to PCI-e) Soundcards and TV Cards not working properly with their shiny new non Q67 based Sandybridge boards. Apparently there's something different with the Q67 chipset which doesn't present this issue - I'm unsure of the details however. What are you wanting to fill those PCI slots with and if you've yet to buy them, can you not go for PCI-e versions? Many TV cards and Soundcards will have a similar class of card for both PCI or PCI-e. Similarly, what is it you need the parallel port for - is there a USB port on that printer as well (I know mine has both) or can you pop a cheap parallel port print server onto your network if it's a parallel port only printer?

Also remember that you can get add-on cards to provide various ports such as parallel and serial ports and the cards plug into motherboard slots - otherwise there are some USB devices that do the same. A few additional options that may help....

• 3. Re: Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?
              artaxerxes

I looked on the Ark - here are all the boards including the Crow Road one linked above.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/51856,51857,51855,60652,54876,61218,51999

All have but one PCI card - so I will need to do some shuffling.

I need the native paralllel port for 1bit of data from our fMRI - it saves re-writing MATLAB, Presentation and E-Prime legacy code.

Expansion Parallel cards are no good in the case of DP67BG which we had before as the memory address of the port was hijacked and so MATLAB would not address it.  Also expansion cards often do not have the hardware interrupt whihc makes them useless for Presentation.

Quite a quandary.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps.

• 4. Re: Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?
                Flying_Kiwi

You have addressed why you need a parallel port (I'm assuming the MRI equipment interfaces via this method and doesn't have a USB interface)? I understand what you mean about some PCI-Parallel adapter cards having compatibility issues and needing their own drivers etc (and offering varying levels of functionality compared to native parallel ports). Eventually (and not to far away) boards with parallel ports WILL go the way of the Dodo so you (or your software provider) will need to plan for change down the track.

Why do you NEED the PCI slots (rather than PCI-e)?

Again both of these technologies are on the way out all together so any putting off with regards to future proofing now, will just make it harder when the next batch of PCs are due to be purchased - or will you be retired or working somewhere else by then

• 5. Re: Parallel Port on LGA1155 Board?
                  artaxerxes

Yes I am merely delaying my pain.

The PCI cards for yet more legacy hardware... generally high end but 6 year old serial cards, motion capture systems and the like.

But these are easily replaceable with PCIe cards - just an extra expense.  We will soldier on with one PCI slot.. or maybe get one or two Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 whihc have parallel and 2x PCI for the second string stimulus machines.

There is a massive gap in the academic market for a  cheap replacement to the parallel port which retains code portability and simplicity.