1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 3:08 PM by sulinder

DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds

sulinder

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody can help with my issue with this Intel motherboard.

I'm having irregular fan speed problems with the board. Both the front and the rear case fans (connected via the 3-pin connector on the motherboard) exhibit this problem.

The CPU fan (4 pin) seems to be fine however.

I've read previous posts on these forums and I 've tried turning off the c-state in the bios but the problem still remains for me.

The problem is that the fans seen to be spinning up then going back to regular speed, speeding up again, going back down within a span of 3 or 4 seconds. So the fans will speed up for 3 seconds, go back to regular rpm, speed up for 3 seconds, go back to regualr rpm and so on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
          Flying_Kiwi

What CPU populates the board? What BIOS version is installed? What fans (and do they have LEDs built into them)? What OS is installed and have you correctly installed the chipset drivers, then other drivers including the Intel Management Engine software for the board (in that order)? Are the BIOS settings at default values other than the CPU C State C1 setting?

• 2. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
            spearson

It may not help, but I would also suggest that you go into BIOS Setup, navigate to the Fan Monitoring and Control scene and select the option to have QST perform a fan redetection during the next boot (this will occur after you save and exit from BIOS Setup)...

• 3. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
              sulinder

Core2Duo e6300

bios is 0131

No LEd on the fans. 7 64bit and the chipset drivers were downloaded straight from the Intel site. The fan issue starts as soon as I turn the computer on so the problem is not OS dependant.

First the chipset drivers were installed and then the ime software...in that order.

Bios settings are optimized default.

• 4. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                sulinder

i'll check the fan redetection settings and post back. thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                  Flying_Kiwi

If it does it before the OS even loads then spearson's suggestion is on the money. You can also monitor the fan speeds within the BIOS - are they correctly registered there? I remember there's a setting to do with what profile you want the fan speeds to follow but you said you've loaded defaults and saved out of there so as long as the profile is normal that shouldn't be it.

• 6. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                    spearson

Yes, I am referring to the QST fan surging issue, which can occur if you have two fan headers that are controlled by a single fan speed controller and you only plug a fan into one of these headers. If you do not give QST an opportunity to analyze the situation and disable unused headers, this surging will occur as QST tries to get this fan (which appears to it to be a stalled fan) to start spinning. We do not want QST to (at least by default) do this test during every boot because fan noise is generated during the detection process (because of what has to be done to verify whether the fan is indeed missing (or broken completely) -- which would be a significant annoyance to many folks)...

BTW, reading back through the responses, let me explain the setup parameter a little better. When you go into BIOS Setup, the redetection parameter will be set to either "Disabled" or "Always" (i.e. every boot). If it is then set to "Next Boot" by the user, the redetection will take place during the next boot operation and then the parameter will be put (back) in the "Disabled" state...

...Scott

• 7. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                      sulinder

spearson,

so i changed the settings as you suggest but the problem didn't go away. Although I'm able to see the rpm of both the front and rear fans in Speedfan...before it was showing just the front fan speed.

However, the problem remains.  I might as well connect the fans to the power supply direct by buying a 3pin to molex adapter or something before this problem is pretty annoying.

• 8. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                        Flying_Kiwi

sulinder wrote:

spearson,

so i changed the settings as you suggest but the problem didn't go away. Although I'm able to see the rpm of both the front and rear fans in Speedfan...before it was showing just the front fan speed.

Earlier you mentioned the front and rear case fans were connected through a 3 pin 'connector' ie singular. Are you using a splitter cable to enable 2 fans to be powered from one header (if so, try it with each fan having its own motherboard header)? If you want a free bit of software to monitor all of your fan speeds (along with other motherboard features such as voltages and temperatures on the DG45ID), there's Intel Desktop Utilities which is avail from the download page - I'm not familiar with any other fan monitoring software. Does IDU correctly show your fan speeds (note that you'll need to remove or disable other monitoring software (at least temporarily) while IDU is installed to make sure IDU can do its thing properly?

Going back to a question I asked earlier, does the *BIOS* show all of your fan speeds correctly (I use the same BIOS version as you so it's under Advanced -> Hardware Monitoring)? If not, perhaps you have a fan which has an electronic fault - do you have another you can temporarily swap in to replace the one that's not reading. You should be able to get a front and rear case fan working fine with this board when connected through the motherboard headers - thats what I have with my DG45ID (which I'm using to write this). The advantage of doing it this way is if you put the system into hibernate or sleep state all your fans shut down - when connected directly to the PSU molex connector, they keep running.

• 9. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                          sulinder

Fans are attached seperately to the 3 pin connectors.

Fan speeds show up fine in both the intel utility and speed fan.  In the speed fan log feature I can see the spikes as the fans go up in rpm and go back down.

I'll try the fans in another motherboard and see if the fans are culprit.

Thanks

• 10. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                            Flying_Kiwi

It's good they're connected to their own headers. What about monitoring of the fan speeds in the BIOS (and the fan profile settings there)? If you can't get it to behave on boot before an OS loads, I suspect you won't after its finished loading and everything else complicates things. Just out of interest what fans are they and what speed/size? I'm not sure what fans the board is capable of powering up to (I think it'd be in the Tech Specs) but you don't want to be hanging the computer fan equivalent of a Jumbo Jet engine off those headers or it might pose problems.

Have these fans always behaved this way on this board, otherwise when did the problems begin (after doing what)?

• 11. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                              spearson

I can't tell for sure, but it still sounds like you have not done the fan redetection. Did you navigate to the screen and set the Redetect Fans parameter to "Next Boot"? When you save and exit from BIOS Setup and it begins the reboot (POST) process, you should hear all fans go to full speed, stay that way for approximately 6 seconds and then slow down...

• 12. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                                sulinder

I selected the Next Boot option for fan detection. And yes, you are right...the fans power up at full speed for a few seconds before they go down in speed.

• 13. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                                  sulinder

Flying kiwi...the front fan is a 180mm that comes with the Silverstone TJ08E case and the rear is a 120mm fan.

The 180mm fan has these specs on Silverstone's website:

Model No.
                                  SST-AP181
                                  Color
                                  Black
                                  Bearing
                                  Sleeve
                                  Rated Voltage
                                  12V DC
                                  Start Voltage
                                  10.8V DC (in low rpm mode)
                                  Rated Current
                                  0.45 AMP
                                  Rated Power
                                  5.4W
                                  Speed
                                  700 ; 1200 rpm
                                  Effective Airflow Range
                                  1.2 ; 3 Meter
                                  Airflow
                                  80 ~ 130 CFM
                                  Static Pressure
                                  Max 1.1~2.45mmH2O
                                  Diameter
                                  180mm
                                  Noise Level
                                  18 / 34dB(A)
                                  Air Speed
                                  1.9m/s ; 3.1m/s (measured at fan exit)
                                  Dimension
                                  180mm (L) x 180mm (W) x 32mm (H)
                                  • 14. Re: DG45ID irregular inlet/outlet fan speeds
                                    Flying_Kiwi

sulinder wrote:

Flying kiwi...the front fan is a 180mm that comes with the Silverstone TJ08E case and the rear is a 120mm fan.

I must be getting older because it wasn't so long ago that 140 mm was THE size for large slow fans but according to page 58 of the DG45ID Tech Specs:

Table 31. Fan Header Current Capability

Fan Header Maximum Available Current

Processor fan 2.0 A

Front chassis fan 1.5 A

Rear chassis fan 1.5 A

So your 180 mm monster at 0.45 Amps isn't even loading the board to a third of the headers capabilities. Now to answer my (still unanswered question) what is the BIOS showing when you monitor the fans speeds IN THE BIOS - do they seem to accurately reflect what you hear and are the speeds registered for both fans consistently? When one fan speeds up does the other behave the same?

1 2 Previous Next