3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 1:43 AM by kazavo4ka

question about vmq (vmdq) on Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1

kazavo4ka

Hello there

preamble:

- Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1

- Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter (82576 controller)

I download drivers for network adapter from there, install them with "PROSet for Windows Device Manager" and "Advanced Network Services" checkboxes, after that I know that there is a minimum two different ways to activate vmq:

1. Manually edit registry (settings for adapter and settings for hyper-v)

2. Automatically enable vmq by using prosetcl.exe command line utility (prosetcl adapter_setsetting MY_ADAPTER_NUMBER *VMQ Enabled)

and it work fine. At least I think so

The general question is - how I can see that this technology is really work in this configuration (e.g. hyper-v server, not full windows server installation)? I know that I can use same prosetcl.exe utility to view current status of vmq (enabled or disabled), but what if I need some more information - something like ststistics information about how vmq worked?

In full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP 1 EE with Hyper-V role and full installation (proset and other stuff) of drivers to network card there is simple way to see if the vmq really work - look at network adapter properties from device manager. Like that:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1029/vmq.png

this feature allows me to see at least some peace of information about vmq, but how can I get same information on my Hyper-V Server when there is no device manager snap-in available?

Connecting to device manager on that Hyper-V Server from computer with full windows server 2008 r2 installation (with intel drivers and proset installed, and same network adapter) don't work - it didn't show additional adapter settings like it looks in local device manager snap-in.

I will very appreciate if anyone can help me with this question

p.s. sorry for my English, I don't know it very well yet