10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2013 8:48 AM by wagnerguitar

DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132

dj.pandemic

Hi! I have a HTPC using DH67BL, the system is fairly bare bones, (i3-2100 CPU, 2x2GB 1333 Kingston Ram, LG Sata Blu-Ray Drive) using onboard VGA, worked perfectly under BIOS 0125, then I upgraded to 0132 and BAM everytime I restart from Windows 7 the system gets to the point where it should powerdown and restart. BUT all I get is a whitescreen and nothing else. I then have to hold the powerbutton to turn it off.

IF I turn it back on, I get no display and dont see and HDD activity on the frontpanel lights

Hotswapping displays does nothing

Using a different display does nothing.

While  off if I unplug the psu from mains, hit the power button on the PC to rundown any residual power, then plug back in to mains and power it on it works fine... untill i need to "restart" from windows, then I get it all over again!!!!

I have swapped ram channels, used different ram, used a different PSU, reinstalled windows, and still have the issue.

further to that some degenerate thought it would be a  good idea to blacklist ALL previous BIOS versions in the current 0132 so  I am unable to downgrade to proove that it IS the bios or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

BRAD

• 1. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
          dj.pandemic

FYI the 0132 BIOS is set to defult settings - only change is SATA drives are set to IDE - otherwise I was unable to install windows at all!

• 2. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
            Flying_Kiwi

dj.pandemic wrote:

FYI the 0132 BIOS is set to defult settings - only change is SATA drives are set to IDE - otherwise I was unable to install windows at all!

There's something fishy going on there as Win 7 should install fine with the HDD controller in AHCI mode (and that's preferrable for performance and power state compatibility reasons). Maybe its a bad flash and you need to redownload the upgrade and run it again. It'd also be worth loading default values and saving out of there after flash upgrading your board as not doing sometimes can cause problems.

What have you got plugged into your SATA ports (other than the LG Blu-ray drive (I'm assuming you've checked for firmware upgrades for that) and do you have any USB devices or cards plugged into any of the boards slots? I suspect if you can solve this failure to be able to instal Win 7 with the HDD in AHCI Mode, it'll solve these other issues.

• 3. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
              dj.pandemic

Still no good, reflashed with the .bio file from F7 prompt. Reset to defults, ensured the SATA controller set to AHCI (Which it was from deafult).

Started installing Windows, at the point that it needs to restart for the second time during instillation it get the same freezing issue and need to power off in the same manner as described in my first post.

LITERALLY the only items I have plugged into the motherboard are:

CPU

RAM

PSU

HDD

ODD (No firmware update avaliable)

And the USB ports:

Keyboard

Mouse

On another note, the "White Screen" I am getting isnt always white, sometimes its a pink, light blue, grey...

• 4. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                Flying_Kiwi

Now there's an even newer BIOS version out (from a couple of days ago), if you are sure it was the BIOS update that did it, you could upgrade to the latest version and then, if required, revert to 0125 (if needed) - that said, I wouldn't be surprised if going back to 0125 that way does make this a fault free computer again because I simply don't think these problems are caused the the new BIOS on your board. I can't help thinking this is something specific to your computer or the way you've flashed however because there hasn't been a mass outcry from other DH67BL owners all with the same problems. If you use a different method to flash the next update eg use a different USB Pendrive and USB port or Burn a BIOS flash CD-ROM etc, then that will reduce the chances that you've put a foot wrong somewhere or a hardware failure has played a part during the flashing process.

Message was edited by: Flying_Kiwi to account for removal of BIOS reverting option

• 5. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                  dj.pandemic

So i upgraded to 0146 and still no good, has the same problems

Looks like I'll be up for a new board

• 6. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                    whale

Sound like the board or the CPU may be faultily.

I think you should contact Intel Support for RMA..

• 7. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                      Flying_Kiwi

dj.pandemic wrote:

So i upgraded to 0146 and still no good, has the same problems

It's very strange that updating a BIOS should damage a board in this way though and I would have thought if you'd flashed the BIOS to 0132 but used a different method (for the purpose of independance) to flash to 0146 it must just be a strange coincidence. It'd be worth taking a look at the CPU socket pins to ensure none are bent as this may cause graphics problems (although, again it's not related to the BIOS flash). Let us know what Intel Tech Support have to say about it.

• 8. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                        dj.pandemic

Well.... I'll be buggered!

It was a hard drive issue that was causing the problem, I think the newer BIOS has some sort of incompatability with WD 2TB green drives, I tried 2 during my troubleshooting efforts and had the same results.

Lastnight I jammed in an old 250GB SATA 1 drive and had no problems... kind of good news/bad news tho as the drive is noisy as hell and I'm not sure i want to try the "which drive wants to work in my PC route" potentially costing me bucketloads...

anyway, thats a different issue alltogether, thanks for the assistance throughout this

• 9. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                          Flying_Kiwi

That's surprising You could try contacting WD to see if they know anything about this and to see if they have a newer firmware version for your drive to counteract this issue.

• 10. Re: DH67BL Problems after BIOS update to 0132
                            wagnerguitar

Anyone knows if, after update for bios with ivy bridge support, the MOBO loses the support for sandy bridge?