12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 6:10 AM by puneetp

Suspecting Desktop board failure.

puneetp

I have this computer which now won't boot upon pressing the power button, the previous day it was working fine. First I thought, the cabinet's power button must have been broken, so I checked and found out it was fine. I even seated every hardware on a whole other cabinet, it still won't boot. Then, I suspected it must be the PSU, so I removed it out from the cabinet and tested it and that is working fine. I know it's not the RAM or the Video Card, because there are no beeping POST codes. The worst has happened, its either the motherboard failure or the processor failure (crossing fingers) or BOTH! (X.X)

Are the board circuits really busted??!

Specs. -

MoBo : intel Desktop Board DH55TC Media Series

Processor : intel Core i3-530 LGA1156

Purchased on June 2010

• 1. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
          Flying_Kiwi

How did you test the PSU as no-load results may differ to actual performance. Have you simply tried powering off the system and leaving it unplugged over night - sometimes this seems to 'reset' PSUs?

• 2. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
            puneetp

Tested the PSU by shorting the green wire and black wire  in the 24 pin connector.

Its been 4 days since the incident, the computer still won't power on.

• 3. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
              Flying_Kiwi

So you 'tested' the PSU unloaded - how do you know it doesn't perform differently when a load is put on it?

Has the 4 days it's been sitting idle, time while it was also unplugged from the mains (note that otherwise the board will still be receiving some power). Unplugging from the mains really can make all the difference!

What about the memory (although reading the GPUs requirements, I'm also unsure if the PSU is up to that)?

• 4. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                puneetp

Un'loaded'? I did power the PSU from the power socket if that is what loaded would mean.

Yes the System is sitting idle since 4 days without being plugged in to the AC mains.

• 5. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                  Flying_Kiwi

puneetp wrote:

Un'loaded'? I did power the PSU from the power socket if that is what loaded would mean.

The PSU normally feeds power to the motherboard and various computer innards such as hard disk drive(s), graphics cards, optical / DVD / Blu-ray drives etc. If you unplug the 24(20) pin ATX connector and other motherboard power supply connectors and test there when power is being provided to it, what 'load' is the PSU having to power (apart from the piddly current the multimeter needs)?

I'm glad the computer was totally unplugged from the mains (with the green light of the motherboard extinguished) for 4 days because that is what I meant.

• 6. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                    puneetp

Oh... then I did run it unloaded. But then again I used another PSU (from another computer), and still the computer wont boot.

• 7. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                      Flying_Kiwi

puneetp wrote:

But then again I used another PSU (from another computer), and still the computer wont boot.

How do you know that other PSU was powerful enough and up to the task of powering your computer?

What brought this on - you mentioned it was working fine one day and the next day it just wouldn't work at all. Were there any problems with booting previously (perhaps intermittant problems)? Has there been any thunderstorms in the area or the chance of a voltage spike getting through to this PC? Is the PC protected with some sort of surge suppressing device on the mains supply? Computers very rarely fail in this way out of the blue with absolutely no warning signs.

• 8. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                        puneetp

No, there weren't any booting problems previously.

The previous day I did plug in two internal HDDs (Ofcourse, I did this after I shut down and unplugged the system from the mains), and later that day I did boot the system to access these drives and there was no problem at all.

• 9. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                          Flying_Kiwi

What you wrote about there is all before the problem occurred so possibly disturbing the power supply cabling or the (admitedly small) additional power taken by the added HDDs has had something to do with things. As you haven't answered my other question yet, how do you know the PSU you swapped in to test the board with was up to the task and powerful enough for your PC?

What are the chances of lightning coming down the mains and a voltage spike causing damage - have you had any thunderstorms lately? Is the PC surge protected?

• 10. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                            puneetp

Actually, I do not know if other PSU was up to the task and powerful enough for my PC.

No, there weren't any thunderstorms lately.

Yes, the PC surge is protected.

So, you're saying that the added HDDs could have ruined the PSU and I ought to buy a new PSU.

• 11. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                              Flying_Kiwi

puneetp wrote:

So, you're saying that the added HDDs could have ruined the PSU and I ought to buy a new PSU.

No that's extremely unlikely because HDDs normally only consume a tiny amount of power (and even if that did result in an overload situation, your PSU should have prevented itself from being damaged by that situation). I'm considering what happened immediately prior to the problem occurring and as you've indicated there were no thunderstorms in the area and your PC is protected against power surges anyway, that leaves only the changes you made to it as being a contributing factor - that or something has just died perhaps due to old age at the same time - that really would be quite a coincidence though).

If you tell us what PSU you trialled in your PC we can try to work out if it was up to the task of powering it otherwise it's something I'd suggest, at this stage, you take to a professional to let them test and ascertain what's gone wrong with the system. It may not be your motherboard that's failed as motherboards don't tend to fail out of the blue by simply not booting up one day (unless they've received damage from lightning or been physically damaged etc). The professional will be able to determine the minimum no of new parts (if any) that are needed to get this up and running again rather than going down the path of buying a new motherboard and finding it's possibly not to blame.

• 12. Re: Suspecting Desktop board failure.
                                puneetp

Yes, you're right, I should take this to a pro who could take a look at.

I'll get back with what was wrong with my PC, any time soon.