7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 7:43 AM by joe_intel

BIOS recovery not working

optimus

Hi guys,

Can we please get some help here! I asked this question 6 days ago and there is no help from anydoby. Here is my problem:

I switched the CMOS jumper to recovery mode, but there is no post, only black screen. Put the jumper back to normal mode, I get the post, but the recovery does not work. The main problem now is why is switching the CMOS jumper from normal to recovery, does not work.

I put the .BIO in a floppy disk and rebooted the computer with. The light of the floppy drive remained on for more than 10 minutes (the instructions say 2 to 5 minutes), but all what I get is a black screen.

Blessings to all of you.

Optimus.

• 1. Re: BIOS recovery not working
          Dan_O

Which board are you using?

• 2. Re: BIOS recovery not working
            optimus

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The mobo is a Intel D845EBG2 (discontinued).

• 3. Re: BIOS recovery not working
              Dan_O

Dumb question - the instructions say to do the recovery floppy with the jumper removed, but in your first post you mentioned putting it back.

Did you put it back before, or after, putting in the floppy?

Are you sure you have the same BIOS version on the floppy, that was on the system?

And, last question, when you try booting normally, what's the last thing you see on the screen?

• 4. Re: BIOS recovery not working
                optimus

Ok. The instructions say that it would take about 5 to 10 minutes for the update to take effect. Well I left the computer for more than one hour and nothing happened. All what I was getting was a black screen and nothing else. Even the floppy drive was not doing anything. I could not even hear it spinning or doing anything. And yes, I did remove the jumper, and when I removed it, as I said in my post, nothing worked. Just a black screen that stays there for ever.

Here is the answer to your questions.

Did you put it back before, or after, putting in the floppy?
                I removed the jumper, put the floppy disk in the drive, rebooted. Nothing happened for hours.

Are you sure you have the same BIOS version on the floppy, that was on the system?

Yes, I do have the same BIOS version on the floppy that was on the system. I downloaded it from Intel website.

BIOS update [PT84520A.86A]

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.  Intel® Desktop Board D845EBG2 (this is my mobo)

And, last question, when you try booting normally, what's the last thing you see on the screen?

When I try to boot, all what I was getting is "A read error has occurred...press ctrl alt del to restart"

The update may have cause a communication problem between the mobo and the HDD. The HDD is in very good condition. I'm using it now on a different mobo and it's working just fine.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate.

Optimus

• 5. Re: BIOS recovery not working
                  redjohn

I am having the same problem I googled this problem and found no solution to it. Couple of other people also posted the same problem on intel community and still there problem hasn't been solved.

• 6. Re: BIOS recovery not working
                    Neumann

Same problem on DH61BE. only black screen when remove the jumper fro BIOS recovery. If i can not recover the bios I would must send back to our business partner. It's really bad, because we have 50pcs of this motherboards. I was try several of this board and some recovery with no problem and some nothing. Any idea what else try than battery remove, load default bios and remove ddr memory ?

• 7. Re: BIOS recovery not working
                      joe_intel

I am sorry for your issue.

Those suggestions may help. Let’s remember there are multiple BIOS update methods.

Desktop Boards; BIOS update instructions

You may also consider trying with the system in minimum configuration (integrated graphics, one memory stick, no extra devices).

In general we recommend incremental updates as best practice, especially when there are many versions in between the current one being used and the latest one; you can jump every few versions until you update to the desired version.

Some motherboards require more specific update steps, such as the DH61XX series; these instructions are usually indicated in the release notes (in blue print or text boxes). This is important because some of these BIOS versions include very significant changes that are recommended to be updated in such order instead of skipping them to reach the latest version.