2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 12:50 PM by pirivan

Motherboard Intel DH67CF

arylkov

Can I use a PCI express slot in your motherboard Intel DH67CF not for the video card, such as TV tuner?
      Thank you.

• 1. Re: Motherboard Intel DH67CF
          pirivan

I actually have this exact issue with this motherboard (the DH67CFB3) and my Ceton PCI-E x1 tuner.

I sent the below to Ceton detailing this:
          "I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI-E tuner card. I had it installed in my previous HTPC and it worked without any issues. I have since (today) moved it to a new HTPC with an Intel Intel BOXDH67CFB3 motherboard.

While installed in the single PCI-E slot available on my new motherboard and the system is booting, I see the tuner activity lights flash red, then blink blue and then finally go to a solid blue. In the DH67CFB3 BIOS it says that the PCI-E slot it is installed in is 'not populated'. As you might imagine it is not detected in Windows as the BIOS cannot see it.

I tested the PCI-E slot with another PCI-E x1 card that I happen to have (not a Ceton tuner) and it worked fine and was detected in the BIOS.

My motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS version. I assumed it would work with the Ceton based on this review [url]http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-core-i3-2100t-and-bh67cf-mini-itx-motherboard[/url]).

Any thoughts about how this could be resolved?"

I received back from Ceton the following response:

Glad you gave the details about the lights and boot sequence. The Ceton tuner is progressing through boot up sequence normally. Even if the BIOS do not recognize the card, it is still powering the slot. You can double check that the InfiniTV is functioning by placing it in your original machine if you like yet from your description it seems to be working fine.
          I went to Intel's website and see that it list the port as a PCIe 2.0 16x graphics connector. This indicates the port is designed for supporting graphics cards. This means very few devices other than graphics cards will function on this type of slot. As mentioned above the slot will still have power. References below.

Expansion capabilities One PCI Express* 2.0 x 16 discrete graphics card connector
          [url]http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67cf.html[/url]
          [url]http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/desktops/desktop-board-dh67cf-media-brief.html[/url]

What you can do is look through the BIOS menus carefully and see if there is any way to disable this or change how it handles the PCIe slot. We have seen many systems that allow you to alter how the slot is handled but not all systems will do this. Sometimes they are marked as SLI but since this only has one slot it may not have this option as it appears to be a dedicated graphics slot as the datasheet indicates from Intel’s website Also, it might be worth contacting Intel and seeing if there is any hidden BIOS switches for this device that might allow it to function as a PCIe generic slot. Let us know if you find any switches or if Intel has suggestions. Include a diagnostic report with your reply so we can see the system's details as well.

Let us know how it goes.
          Ceton Support.

While I do see what he is getting at it feels like a bit of a waste of time given that I was able to get the a eSATA PCI-E x1 card to work in the PCI-E x16 slot on that same motherboard.

I should have mentioned to him that I did play around with the BIOS functionality to make sure the slot wasn't being disabled in some way but I think it is all set (again given that the eSATA PCI-E x1 card worked, it clearly is functioning).

I contacted Intel and as expected received the following response:
          "Victor: The motherboard PCI Express* slot is designed for graphics cards, but not limited to them. There are no switches in BIOS to make it work like a standard PCI Express* slot as it is not limited to video cards. The only option in BIOS that can help you with the proper recognition of the card is called "expansion card text" You will find that option on the boot tab. "

Has anyone been able to get the Ceton PCI-E x1 card working in the DH67CFB3 PCI-E x16 slot?  I am on the latest BIOS that was available (I installed it before I installed the Ceton Tuner)

• 2. Re: Motherboard Intel DH67CF
            Hoopster

I just had a chat session with Intel regarding this board.  I want to use an x4 PCIe 4-port SATA II controller with this board to expand SATA II disk support to 8 drives for my unRAID server.  According to the Intel tech, although the PCIe x16 slot is primarliy designed for a discrete graphics card, it will support "any industry standard PCIe card."

My current ITX board is having problems with the SATA controller (very slow read/write speeds), so, I may give this board a try.