4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 8:44 AM by pcx

F7 Hang

pcx

I'm trying to update the BIOS on a DH67CF motherboard.  I downloaded the latest BIOS onto a 16GB usb key, enabled F7 support in the BIOS.  F7 launches the update menu, I choose the USB key from the menu, I select the .BIO file from the USB key, hit ENTER and nothing happens.  The update never starts, the screen locks up (requiring a hard boot).  I thought maybe it was "thinking" but it just sits there, even after 30 mins.  The PC doesn't have an OS loaded yet, so I can't try EBU.  Thoughts on what to try next? 

• 1. Re: F7 Hang
          Flying_Kiwi

Load the OS and then try with the express method, otherwise read the instructions carefully for the F7 method to find out whats wrong. How is your 16 GB (presumably not 16 MB) USB pendrive partitioned and what other files are on it. Do you have a smaller pendrive that you can use (large pendrives can be problematic unlike smaller ones - I have a 128 MB one that's ideal for this sort of thing). Where have you placed the BIO file ie in what folder/subfolder (if not in root - all possible problems). Have you double checked you have the correct file for your board - the list goes on...

• 2. Re: F7 Hang
            pcx

I managed to get the BIOS updated from v0078 to v0125 using F7, but trying to get from v0125 to v0132 hangs my PC every time.  All I can figure is that there's something wrong with v0132...

• 3. Re: F7 Hang
              Flying_Kiwi

Any reason why you need 0132? Intel only recommends updating to cure problems you may be experiencing. That said it should work as many others who post here are using that BIOS version so you'll need to go back and check the instructions (and have a look at what I wrote above). Perhaps use the Express method (rather than F7) for the final upgrade to 0132. Make sure your antivirus software is disabled at the time of running any Express method BIOS flash.

• 4. Re: F7 Hang
                pcx

Actually, the BIOS update is just my first attempt to remedy a Win7 install problem.  I setup two 500GB drives in a hardware RAID1 mirror configuration and Win7 fails to install on it.  Microsoft told me to take it up with the board vendor (in this case, Intel).  None of the RAID troubleshooting tips on intel.com address this problem, so I'm trying to make sure that the board is up to date with the latest BIOS and firmware because that's always first question that tech support asks.  Personally, I don't care what BIOS this board runs, I just want Win7 to install on the RAID array.  Since I can't get Win7 to install, I can't try a BIOS update with EBU.  One thing at a time I guess...