8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 2:27 PM by rfossella RSS

i7-3930K Processor Max Memory Size???

BigButtons Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I'm preparing to build a new Video Editing Workstation (Adobe After Effects, Premeire etc). I planned on using a i7-3930K Processor (3.2GHz) and the DX79SI Motherboard. While looking at the processor specs I noticed that the Memory Specifications says " Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB". The motherboard supports up to 64 GB RAM which is what I had planned to use. Does the processor's Max Memory limitation mean that I would be wasting my money populating the mobo to its' max RAM capbility?

It seems a bit counter intuitive that a motherboard specifically designed for the i7-3930K & i7-3960K (also 32 GB Max Memory) processors would support more RAM than the processor would allow.

Can someone shed some light on the Proceesor Max Memory Size parameter and if this means I am prevented for utilizing more than 32 GB RAM on the motherboard?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Bob

In the event the processor is limted to 32GB of RAM does intel have a motherboard that supports dual i7-3930K or i7-3960K processors? Is that even supported (Multiple i7-3930K/3960K processors)?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points