4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 5:48 AM by KeeperUsiel

DZ68BC   Intel Express Installer CD

bobnI

Working on a build useing a DZ68BC motherboard .  The drivers and applications on the provided cd are outdated, as usual. Wondering if there is any compelling reason to utilize the intel express installer program on my system?

• 1. Re: DZ68BC   Intel Express Installer CD
          KeeperUsiel

Funny you should mention that.

I just finished building a brand new system based around a DZ68BC last Thursday. I figured "Hey, the drivers are on the disc are out of date so I'll just download the latest drivers off the website, throw them on a flash drive and install the latest once Windows* finishes installing".

Six unstable Windows installs later, I decided to install using the Express Installer off the disc and then run the new drivers to "update" the old ones. 7th time was stable and swift.

So I figured "Eh, maybe bad downloads/corrupt copy to flash drive/desktop from flash drive". I downloaded the updated drivers again on a different system, burned them on to a disc and once again re-installed Windows, which was stable without any drivers installed. Started installing the downloaded drivers and it got ugly.

Went back to installing off the disc and then updating after a full format and reinstall and it is again very stable and swift.

*Windows 7 Professional x64

• 2. Re: DZ68BC   Intel Express Installer CD
            rseiler

Keeper, your experiences thoroughly confuse me. Which of the downloaded drivers caused the instability, and what kind of instability are you talking about?

It really should just be a matter of installing the latest chipset driver and only a couple more things after that. I don't know how any of them would cause instability.

• 3. Re: DZ68BC   Intel Express Installer CD
              bobnI

Thanks for the info, I have downloaded all of the latest drivers and was about to put them on a flash drive and install.  Thought there might be a problem not useing the express installer, after your experience I think I will use it.

• 4. Re: DZ68BC   Intel Express Installer CD
                KeeperUsiel

Howdy rseiler,

Network driver and the MEI package, specifically, seemed to be the most problematic. I should specify that, in the case of the NIC driver, I was only installing the drivers and not the PROSet software.

One of the things I had noticed is that the NIC driver installer seemed to spawn a lot of msiexe processes and was installing a ton of Visual C runtimes. It may be different if I had installed the OS with Service Pack 1 rolled in to it but my disc is a release retail copy so I'd have to roll my own with something like vLite.