14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 8:35 AM by Spencer crawford RSS

Intermittent connection with WiDi

thumser Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

The connection to a 1080p FullHD TV always connects but then while watching a video it stops working and one has to reconnect. It seems random and i have also checked and updated to the latest drivers as specified http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031109.htm .

I am always using WIDI in Presentation mode (only TV is on)

My spec as follows

Acer Aspire 5755G

4GB

i5 2430M

Win 7 64bit

WIDI Software 2.1.42.0

with

Netgear and also Belkin widi adapter (same problems)

Any help appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    electronicsguy_SP Community Member

yup, I have the same problem. (though i have netgear ptv2000). so the problem seems to be on the software side in the laptop. When connected, it works perfectly. But randomly drops. Sometimes when it drops, it even forgets the settings and when I reconnect, I have ti type in the pin as if i'm connecting for the 1st time.

I wrote about this before on this forum, but no real reply from Intel's side.

• 2. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    mahirana Community Member

Hi

I work in the WiDi engineering team. I'm curious to get more details about your set-up, how far is the adapter from the NB, from the acess point? What kind of content are you streaming? If you provide more details, I'd like to help you troubleshoot your issue.

Thanks

Manish

• 3. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    thumser Community Member

Hi Manish,

the adapter is about 1 to 2 m away sometimes even less. The connection seems to drop on Videos as I usually watch new DVDs and Bluerays but it also drops while surfing the internet.

I also just installed a new version Intel Widi 3.0.13. over the weekend without any change. The odd thing is that the connection drops after roughly 10 minutes more often than not.

BTW I also changed the Netgear receiver too, i.e. I am using new hardware (PTV2000) since February. Same result though

Any idea?

Best Regards

Steffen.

• 4. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    thumser Community Member

Hi there,

I didn't have the "loss of setting" thing. However I changed the WiFi router channel as I thought other signals may disturb the quality and cause the problem - without any luck.

I was looking all around the net but could not find others with the same issue. Seems kinda odd to me. Perhaps a very specific issue with the setup I have. What kind of hardware are you running it on also what software version do you have (widi)?

Regards

Steffen.

• 5. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    Community Member

Please try to reduce the "Roaming Aggressiveness" on your WiFi adapter.

1. Open Device manager

2. Open network adapters. Double click on your Intel WiFi xxx AGN

3. In the Wi-Fi properties window go to the Advanced tab.

4. Clickroaming aggressiveness. This value is set at 3 (medium) by default. Change the value to 1 (lowest)

5. Try WiDi again.

Please report your results back here.

Shashi

Intel WiDi - Applications Engineer

• 6. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    thumser Community Member

I changed the settings and tried it a couple of times. It disconnected between 8 to 14 minutes while playing videos. No luck.

Any other idea?

Regards

Steffen.

• 7. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi

I get these problems from time to time - arbitary loss of connection and arbitrary loss of settings even with the latest v3.xx of widi and ptv2000 latest firmware.

Intel - what exactly have you changed to make the widi connection more reliable? the latest updates do not even appear on your website, so no point in asking for changelog

secondly - why should end-users manually have to adjust the wifi adapter settings? isn't that what the widi software is for? it should not only pick the best settings, but also remember and tune itself to the user conditions. do you implement anything like this in your app?

Manish - I don't remeber exactly what I was playing when these occured. But I generally either play video files locally on my laptop or stream thru youtube or netflix.

config:

laptop: vaio vpcsc1afm/s  (it has intel 6250 i think)

widi: 3.0.13 (the errors are the same thru software versions 2.1.42 - 3.0.13)

ptv2000 latest firmware

windows 7

my gripe with intel graphics driver: its the orignal which came bundled with the laptop and sony refuses to release an update for it. Now Intel, please please re-write your graphics driver so that we can directly download it from your website onto OEM laptops - which support switachble graphics.

(an alternative discussion of mine gave a link to a NBR forum post which outlines how to mod the inf file to support this - its just a few lines of code. Why doesn't intel support this? it would make things so much easier for the end-user to directly download driver updates from your website).

• 9. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi

Can you tell if you're connecting at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? This can be seen in the router settings. Log on to your AP using the default IP address given my the manufacturer and you can confirm this. If you're connecting at 5 GHz band, then modifying the roaming aggressiveness will help. If you're at 2.4 GHz, then that won't do much. We'll dig deeper to see if there's any interference that's causing this problem.

Would you know any other devices in your environment that are being used at 2.4 GHz band while you're running WiDi?

How many other laptops using WiFi, anything getting downloaded? Movies being played from netflix, hulu?

Cordless phones at 2.4 GHz?

Microwave running?

How many other APs do you see with the system when running WiDi? and how many of them have as strong signal strength as your AP?

I'm sure you might not have all these running at the same time, but I'm listing the possibilities of all things that could be running in a typical home. Basically, anything else going on in your environment at 2.4 GHz is sharing the same channel bandwidth that you're using to use WiDi.

Also, please share your WiFi driver version? 14.2.?

Thanks

Manish

• 10. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi

The wifi settings are set to use 2.4 and 5ghz bands. Does that apply to widi too? I dont see any separate setting in my vaio wireless wizard settings for the widi only. what does it have to do with router settings?

no other laptops or wifi devices around. no cordless phones around, but a nokia mobile phone.

yes the microwave is there - but i specifically started wifi yesterday and switched on the microwave for 2 mins, and there was no problem. As I mentioned before its not easily reproducible.

I am not going to fiddle around with roaming aggressiveness settings. I think even if it does  change anything, it would be a temporary fix. The app should take care of these settings, not the user.

distance from the netgear adapter is around 20 feet. other wifi access points i see number around 7. Only my wifi router has the highest signal strength. all other are below 2 bars.

online streaming content from various sites, not just netflix. (hulu, amazon).

plus treaming video locally from the laptop.

wifi driver ver:14.2

the random drop (with other without forgetting widi settings) is not very deterministic, but happens every 2-3 weeks.

• 11. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    thumser Community Member

Hi MANISH,

Can you tell if you're connecting at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

I AM RUNNING ON 2.4 Ghz. I CHANGED IT TWICE NOW TO 5 Ghz AND THE CONNECTION SEEMS STABLE (EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT BE TOO EARLY TO TELL). THE AP DOES NOT SUPPORT 5 Ghz SO THIS FIX IS NOT HELPFUL FOR ME AS I CANNOT USE THE INTERNET WHILE USING WIDI. WITH 2.4 Ghz. I TRIED VARIOUS CHANNELS AND HAVE CHOSEN AN UNUSED ONE WHERE NO OTHER AP IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON BUT NO CHANGE THERE.

I GUESS THE WIFI ADAPTER CANNOT USE 2.4 GHz AND 5 GHz AT THE SAME TIME. RIGHT?

Would you know any other devices in your environment that are being used at 2.4 GHz band while you're running WiDi?

THERE'RE ROUGHLY 5-8 OTHER AP'S NEARBY DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF DAY. ALSO TWO SMARTPHONES WITH 2.4Ghz AND A WIRELESS HOMEPHONE.

I TRIED THE 2.4 GHz, WITH ALL OTHER POSSIBLE SOURCES (HOME PHONE, MICROWAVE, SMARTPHONES, EXCEPT OTHER AP FROM NEIGHBOURS) SWITCHED OFF BUT NO SUCCESS.

How many other laptops using WiFi, anything getting downloaded? Movies being played from netflix, hulu?

NO ONLINE MOVIES BEING PLAYED, SOMETIMES PC IS DOWNLOADING IN THE BACKGROUND. I HAVE NOT TRIED TO SWITCH IT OFF YET BUT I WILL DO NEXT.

Microwave running?

How many other APs do you see with the system when running WiDi? and how many of them have as strong signal strength as your AP?

ROUGHLY ABOUT 2 WITH STRONG SIGNAL.

I'm  sure you might not have all these running at the same time, but I'm  listing the possibilities of all things that could be running in a  typical home. Basically, anything else going on in your environment at  2.4 GHz is sharing the same channel bandwidth that you're using to use  WiDi.

CORRECT.

REGARDS

STEFFEN.

• 12. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi

Hi MANISH,

Can you tell if you're connecting at 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

I AM RUNNING ON 2.4 Ghz. I CHANGED IT TWICE NOW TO 5 Ghz AND THE CONNECTION SEEMS STABLE (EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT BE TOO EARLY TO TELL). THE AP DOES NOT SUPPORT 5 Ghz SO THIS FIX IS NOT HELPFUL FOR ME AS I CANNOT USE THE INTERNET WHILE USING WIDI. WITH 2.4 Ghz. I TRIED VARIOUS CHANNELS AND HAVE CHOSEN AN UNUSED ONE WHERE NO OTHER AP IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON BUT NO CHANGE THERE.

I GUESS THE WIFI ADAPTER CANNOT USE 2.4 GHz AND 5 GHz AT THE SAME TIME. RIGHT?

I’d expect you would have a more stable connection at 5 GHz and this is mostly because there are few other devices that use this frequency band (some cordless phones do work at 5.8 GHz), whereas the 2.4 GHz band is shared with many other devices. You’re right, the WiFi adapter cannot use both at the same time, atleast not yet.

THERE'RE ROUGHLY 5-8 OTHER AP'S NEARBY DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF DAY. ALSO TWO SMARTPHONES WITH 2.4Ghz AND A WIRELESS HOMEPHONE.

I TRIED THE 2.4 GHz, WITH ALL OTHER POSSIBLE SOURCES (HOME PHONE, MICROWAVE, SMARTPHONES, EXCEPT OTHER AP FROM NEIGHBOURS) SWITCHED OFF BUT NO SUCCESS.

This means that the devices or the source that’s interfering with your WiDi connection is probably not one of your devices and something else (like a neighbour’s AP, which is out of your control).

NO ONLINE MOVIES BEING PLAYED, SOMETIMES PC IS DOWNLOADING IN THE BACKGROUND. I HAVE NOT TRIED TO SWITCH IT OFF YET BUT I WILL DO NEXT.

Thanks. The downloading could be one potential conflict with WiDi as it shares the same channel.

Microwave running?

ROUGHLY ABOUT 2 WITH STRONG SIGNAL.

if these are on the same channel, they could be contributing to your problem.

I'm  sure you might not have all these running at the same time, but I'm  listing the possibilities of all things that could be running in a  typical home. Basically, anything else going on in your environment at  2.4 GHz is sharing the same channel bandwidth that you're using to use  WiDi.

CORRECT.

If it’s easier, feel free to call me at ****** Phone # edited out-----personal info. ---- and we’ll try to work on this sooner.

REGARDS

STEFFEN.

Message was edited by: Moderator. Personal information edited.

• 13. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    Dan Community Member

I'm having the same problem. I just updated to 3.5.40.0, and now it prompts me to enter a code every time. I can usually get it to connect, and it will be stable for a while, but then it will start to momentarily freeze. It gets worse and worse until finally it disconnects. When I reconnect it continues to freeze. So frustrating.

Here are my specs;

Alienware M11X3

i7-2637M

intel centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250

D-LINK SYSTEMS MainStage DHD-131

• 14. Re: Intermittent connection with WiDi
    Spencer crawford Community Member

**This is in response to everyone, not just user "Dan" **

Hi,

Currently I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate PC, with built in Intel Widi capabilities (the main reason for the tablet was Widi). It is used in a conference room (no video streaming), mainly just extended display for presentation and editing purposes. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUES.

So far I have followed all the steps in updating all my graphics, wireless, and widi hardware and software. The device worked flawless for the first < 2 weeks. I finally got the Intel Widi v3.5 on here and it still gave all the same issues...Random disconnect, usually while opening I.E. 9 or changing websites/tabs in IE9. We do NOT use any streaming while the disconnect occurs.

I have ran a consistent ping to other providers ( ping 8.8.8.8 ) while using Widi, to insure it wasn't my connection causing the disconnect. I was correct, it was not the connection...No drop or spikes when disconnect occurs.

I manually did all updates with Intel's update software.

Everything for Windows has been updated.

I have been researching for the past 2 hours, and FINALLY came across something that has seemed to "bandaid" the issue. One commenter suggested for his Toshiba xxxxx, to turn the power settings to "high performance" to turn up the "boost".

So far, it has worked without issue for the past <45 minutes...will keep you updated, as my job is to make this thing work.

Hope this helps,

Spencer

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points