Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Changing the graphic card? (HD 3000)

idata
Employee

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to change my integrated Intel graphic card to an another GPU from Nvidia or ATi, on my Dell inspiron 15r laptop.

CPU:I have an i5-2410m @2.30 GHz 2nd generation

GPU:I actually have an Intel HD 3000

Why? Because i went to a computer shop where you can make upgrades, repair, etc. and the peoples from the shop tell me to ask on this forum before upgrading due to the ''integrated'' graphic card.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

You may want to contact dell, and ask if that model supports a discrete card...

Most laptops that don't have discrete cards the motherboards do not support this. You'll want to give them your service code (on the bottom of your laptop)

You can't turn the Intel HD off so your looking for another graphics card to help what the Intel HD can not do.

Intel HD is built into the CPU...

sorry for the bad news, hope you can get a discrete card.

idata
Employee

Ok guys after a bit time of searching i found this thread on tomshardware.com

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320416-33-integrated-graphics-discrete-graphics-card http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320416-33-integrated-graphics-discrete-graphics-card

Tell me if i've really understand. On this thread, it says that we can get a discrete card without removing the integrated one. There is a possibility to choose which GPU you want to use. Am i right?

0 Kudos
ND
Novice

Nice topic , I don't know I don't read all, but me too I want to change graphics card on my Inspiron 15R N5010 and I have Intel i3 Core, but I don't know if I have discret card (WHAT IS DISCRET CARD) and if yes if a Nvidia notebook card work with Intel i3 core.

+ I don't know if my father will approve to buy a graphic card for me

0 Kudos