2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2012 9:42 PM by Ben

Intel DX58SO with I7.  Memory snafus.  Beware.

rogersmithiii

I built a personal system based on an Intel DX58SO motherboard, and an Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950.    Bought this motherboard because I wanted to run 4 monitors, and this Mboard had two PCI Express 2 16 slots.

When I purchased the parts, I headed over to the Crucial memory web site, and ordered what they told me to buy - (1) 4 gig, DDR3-1333 PC3 10600 DIMM.

After about a year, the motherboard died.  Troubleshooting over the phone, the Intel person told me that the I7 CPU contained the memory controller (as opposed to having it on the Mboard), and that the I7 would only run at a FSB rate of 1066 mhz.  They further related that using faster memory (DDR3-1600 or 1333) was a waste of money.  The controller would only end up running at 1066.  They warned however that they advised against using anything other than DDR3-1066 because faster memory would burn out the memory controller.  They told me that this was the reason why my motherboard burned out.  They couldn't seem to explain why if the memory controller sat on the CPU, and that was the part that was sensitive, why the CPU didn't burn out instead of the motherboard.

Anyway, calling Crucial back, no one had any idea that this was an issue, and kept telling me that DDR3-1600 was what I wanted.  After an hour on the phone with Crucial, I finally ordered (4), 2 gig, DDR3-1066 DIMMS to give me 8 gig.

You'd figure that Crucial would understand this reality, and sell the right memory.

• 1. Re: Intel DX58SO with I7.  Memory snafus.  Beware.
          jm77

Thanks for the helpful post. I actually upgraded to 12GB 1600 this week and had a fair amount of trouble -- sometimes it would boot, sometimes not; other times it would boot, but would take 60+ seconds (I have an SSD).

Finally, after some research, I found that tweaking the voltage settings seemed to help.

Hopefully my board won't suffer the same fate yours did.

Memory:
          Corsair Vengeance CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 12GB (3x4GB) 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V XMP
          Motherboard:
          Product Name                       DX58SO
          Version                            AAE29331-702
          BIOS Version                       SOX5810J.86A.5561.2011.0516.2023
          Images of my current BIOS settings:
          • 2. Re: Intel DX58SO with I7.  Memory snafus.  Beware.
            Ben

Whoever you spoke to at Intel was not entirely correct regarding memory controllers, and ram speeds.
            The speed advertised on a ram package is the maximum clock the manufacturer achieved during testing.
            Your ram will automatically adjust itself and run at the speed the memory controller needs. (half of 1066 on i7-950) There will be no excess load on any component based on clock speed...

HOWEVER, ram voltage is an issue with the i7 and this mobo. It only supports ram up to 1.65V.

You must make sure that the bios does not up the voltage to your 1600 ram. The mobo only supports up to 1.65 V ram, and the QPI/uncore voltage must be within .5 V of your ram voltage.

I'm not 100% sure if the bios adjusts the voltage in auto mode, but I've run 3x2gb corsair DDR3-1333 in this mobo for about 3 years at 1.5v, default timings, fully stable.

In most motherboard failure cases it is more likely an issue with your power supply, or simply a defective mobo, which although rare happens occasionally.
            The memory theoretically could have caused the failure, but is not the most likely cause