6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 7:04 AM by wangcheng

Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle

wangcheng

Dear community support:

I have boot problem with my brand new DH67BL motherboard + i5 - 2500.  The motherboard was a part of EPP bundle (Core i5 2500 + DH67BL) on. Upon receiving the bundle, I assembled the system following the instruction manual.

Following extra items are used:

Coolermaster 460W power supply (3.3V - 22A, 5V - 2.5A, 12V1 - 18A, 12V2 - 18A). It worked perfectly on my previous Core 2 Duo system

Kingston DDR3 1333 4G memory (KVR1333D3N9/4G 1.5V Double sided, 256x8 / 256x8), installed on the DIMM 1 slot

Seagate 7200.12 500G SATA HDD

But I found the system cannot boot at all, with following symptoms:

1) There's no activity on the monitor

2) There's no beep warning sound from onboard speaker

3) There's no power LED warning pattern (always on after system on)

4) CPU fan is spinning, but heatsink is always very cool after running for 15 minutes.

I can make sure the connectors (2x2,12x2, cpu fan connector) are properly connected. And I tried to disconnect / reconnect them many times but it doesn't help. Remove CMOS battery for 1 min after shutdown doesn't help either.  Could you give some advise?

Best Regards,

Wang Cheng

• 1. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
          Flying_Kiwi

Do you think the board has at least BIOS rev 105 or newer installed on it - the minimum that supports your CPU family (although I'm not sure if having an older version would stop it booting altogether)?

Aside from the fact that installing a matched PAIR of DIMMs gives better perfomance in dual channel mode, In my experience putting one stick of RAM in some boards that are supposed to be accepting of this configuration can be problematic (even though 2 sticks of the same RAM may work fine). Do you have some other compatible memory you can try - or perhaps you can just exchange what you've received for the amount you actually want as a pair of DIMMs ie 2 x 2 GB? Maybe someone with the same board model has tried this and can comment if the board worked with one 4 GB module?

If you've checked and double checked everything is in order with the manual, that's all I can think of for now, short of a faulty part. Have a look at the Intel No Boot Troubleshooting page

• 2. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
            wangcheng

Is there anyway to check the BIOS version without booting (Or check against the manufacture date)?

Actually i have 2 x DDR3 4G memory sticks and planned to install on DIMM1 and 3 for dual channel. But now even single memory stick configuration doesn't go.

Should I try my CPU and motherboard on other ppl's system? Though i think CPU is unlikely to be faulty.

• 3. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
              Flying_Kiwi

wangcheng wrote:

Is there anyway to check the BIOS version without booting (Or check against the manufacture date)?

Not that I'm aware of - short of phoning the supplier and asking if they know from any in the same batch they may have used to assemble customers computers with. According to the BIOS release notes that you can download from Intel, 105 was released at the start of March 2011 so you've got old stock if it doesn't at least have that BIOS version (although the boards are ofter sold without the very latest/current BIOS version installed). I know when I got my DG45ID, the BIOS version was very old and resulted in problems with the fans hunting - it still booted though and allowed me to perform a flash upgrade.

Actually i have 2 x DDR3 4G memory sticks and planned to install on DIMM1 and 3 for dual channel. But now even single memory stick configuration doesn't go.

Does that mean you've tried it with both sticks correctly installed in the right sockets at the same time? If not, try that first. I recall I had an old Intel 820 chipset board which wouldn't boot with my one 512 MB RIMM (yes, that old) installed and I had to obtain 2 x 64 MB RIMMs, install those, flash the BIOS to the latest version and only then it allowed me to boot with my preferred memory.

Should I try my CPU and motherboard on other ppl's system? Though i think CPU is unlikely to be faulty.

Given this is a new PC, I'd get in touch with the supplier and see what they have to say - they may even flash it for you to the latest BIOS IF this is an issue that'd stops the board from booting and they sold all the bits as a bundle.

• 4. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
                wangcheng

Finally I managed to find the root cause: one pin in the LGA1155 seat is bent. After fixing it, system can boot!

Thanks anyway!

• 5. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
                  Flying_Kiwi

Did the board not arrive with a plastic CPU socket covering cap in place? That's very poor quality control if Intel let one slip though like that. I'm glad you've found the cause and rectified it.

• 6. Re: Boot problem on DH67BL + i5-2500 bundle
                    wangcheng

There is a socket cover. I'm not sure how it's bent.