3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 11:16 PM by Flying_Kiwi

Computer won't start after updating BIOS

optimus

Hi guys,

New to Intel Support and sorry if my question has already been asked by somebody else.

Few days ago, I updated the BIOS for one of my MB (Intel D845EBG2). It is the correct version for my MB and followed the instructions word by word. But when I rebooted my computer, I get the error messge that it can't find ither the OS or the HDD. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the HDD. I disabled the Floppy Disk Drive because there is none. No matter what boot sequence I chose, I get the same error message.

This is one of the messages I get:

A disk read error occured

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I am 100% sure there is nothing wrong with the HDD. This problem started after I updated the BIOS.

-Primary IDE Master: [Maxtor 6L300RO]

- Secondary IDE Slave: [LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635]

- Diskette Controller: [Disabled] I do not have any installed

Boot Device priority:

This sequence does not work

1st Boot Device: [SS-LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1]

2nd Boot Device: [PM-Maxtor 6L300RO]

This one neither

1st Boot Device: [PM-Maxtor 6L300RO]

2nd Boot Device: [SS-LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1]

There one thing I notice, in the Boot section, it shows:

1st Drive : [PM-Maxtor 6L300RO] (for the HDD)

1st Drive : [SS-LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1] (for the DVD ROM)

Why does it show "1st Drive" for both!!

I appreciate your help

BIOS version: PT84520A.86A.0015.P08

Intel Pentium 4

2.40 GHz

I appreciate any help from you.

optimus

• 1. Re: Computer won't start after updating BIOS
          Flying_Kiwi

This message normally means the system isn't accessing your boot drive for one reason or another but I wouldn't be worried as you still have the drive with its data intact on it. Have you gone into the BIOS and loaded default settings and saved out of there - something I would always suggest after a BIOS upgrade (although make sure you note down any non-standard settings (if any) you previously configured the system for so you can go back in afterwards and change them back).

For testing purposes, it'd also be worth simply disconnecting the optical drive from the system (leave it in there, just unplug its power lead and the PATA ribbon cable from the motherboard secondary port - I suggest you do this when its powered down BEFORE resetting your BIOS to default values and saving out of there. The HDD should be on the primary IDE port (which it is) but it looks like your optical drive is (still?) jumpered for slave mode - this may be why the system has become confused about the 1st drive. If you check the manual for your DVD drive (or even the label on it may help), you should see how to configure it for Master using a jumper - change the jumper position to the matching pin locations and then after loading defaults and saving/shutting down, plug the DVD drive back into the Secondary IDE port (making sure no bootable DVD's/CDROMs are in the drive when it boots). Commonly PATA optical drives are configured or jumpered for slave mode because people often hook them into the same ribbon cable going to the HDD - a bad idea that'll reduce system performance as the faster hard disk drive has to slow down to match the optical drives speed in order to share the same cable - its a bit like cars on a motorway travel best if they're going at the same speed.

Perhaps the new BIOS has made changes with the IDE functioning of the board - the release notes should tell you more (available from the same page you downloaded the BIOS from). It's always a good idea to make sure you have a current backup of all your valuable data (before you flash) in case there are problems during a BIOS upgrade. Let us know how you get on or if you have further q's.

• 2. Re: Computer won't start after updating BIOS
            optimus

Hi Flying-Kiwi,

I thank you very much for your response. For your first question, yes, I did go to the BIOS and loaded the dfault settings, but still getting the same error message. There has been no change before and after the BIOS update, I mean I had the DVD ROM set as secondary slave and of course the HDD as Primary Master. The BIOS sees the HDD as the Primary master, but it just doesn't boot from it. I also disconnected the DVD ROM, same thing. I will keep trying and if I findthe solution, I will post it for other people, but I am also expecting the same thing from other people who already had this kind of problem.

Right now I am checking the HDD with the manufacture's program (Maxtor PowerMax) and so far no problems with the HDD. All tests passed.

God bless you all and happy new year.

Optimus.

• 3. Re: Computer won't start after updating BIOS
              Flying_Kiwi

optimus wrote:

I did go to the BIOS and loaded the dfault settings, but still getting the same error message. There has been no change before and after the BIOS update, I mean I had the DVD ROM set as secondary slave and of course the HDD as Primary Master. The BIOS sees the HDD as the Primary master, but it just doesn't boot from it. I also disconnected the DVD ROM, same thing.

If you disconnected the DVD drive BEFORE loading setup defaults and saved out of there (make sure it doesn't exit without saving), you should NOT still get two devices showing as the 1st boot device. If you re-jumper the DVD drive to be master (as it should ideally be in the situation you describe), again you should not get two first boot devices showing up. Does doing this at least solve that problem (aside from the more important failure to boot)?

Be careful using the manufacturers software with this drive - you can easily wipe all your data off it (although you should get warnings first). If you have a spare compatible blank HDD (or one with data you don't mind loosing), you could simply swap that in to replace the current HDD, install your OS onto it (then drivers), shutdown and plug your current drive into the Secondary channel instead of the DVD drive (and make sure the BIOS sees it as at least second in the booting order) then boot from the other drive and you should see your original drive in Windows ready to copy your files from. Of course if there's nothing on your HDD that you need to save (because you've already backed it up before you flashed the BIOS?) then you can just run the zero fill option on the drive utility to obliterate everything from this drive then install Windows fresh again.

Whatever you do, you should also re-jumper your DVD drive to Master if it has its own IDE Controller channel. Do you need any help figuring out how to do that - let us know.