12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2012 2:30 PM by duda_ce

PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)

duda_ce

Hello everyone,

For about three weeks my PC has been turning on by itself, most of the times during the night (while I'm sleeping) and close to noon or on the afternoon. A few times it turns on by itself a little while after I turn it off (Shutdown option in Windows).

I see no regular pattern, since the Windows Event Viewer records show the times for system boot up and shutdown. The PC tuns itself on at different times, also there's no regular time gap between the last shutdown and system boot up.

Here's my PC configuration:

- Intel DH67CL motherboard (B3 stepping),

- Intel i7 2600 processor,

- 8 GB Kingston RAM (2 x 4 GB),

- 1 x Intel X-25 40 GB SSD in SATA2 (boot drive),

- 2 x Seagate 1 TB HDD in SATA0 and 1 (mirror RAID),

- 1 x internal LG DVD-RW in SATA3,

- 1 x internal card reader (in USB internal port),

- MS keyboard,

- Logitech mouse,

- Seventeam Power Supply Unit,

- Cooler Master case,

- APC Back UPS no break unit model BE-600BR (connected through USB to PC),

- Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Here's what I've tried without any success (the PC keeps turning on by itself during the night and afternoon):

- In Windows, disabled the Wake from Sleep in every power profile,

- Ran different anti-virus and anti-malware software (got no infections),

- Disabled Wake on LAN in BIOS,

- Disabled all other boot and wake up options in BIOS,

- Disabled boot from external and USB devices,

- Connected the power supply directly to the wall power outlet (instead of coming through the APC power backup unit),

- Removed all USB external devices (keyboard, mouse, APC backup unit),

- Removed LAN cable,

- Disabled all Wake on LAN options in the Ethernet card options in Windows Device Manager,

- Replaced the power switch wires for the reset wires in motherboard front panel connector (power/reset/led),

- Removed the power switch wires (1 pair, mentioned above) from the motherboard front panel connector,

- Reset BIOS to its default,

- Flashed BIOS again (to latest version 0132),

- Installed latest device drivers,

- Installed latest SSD Tool,

- Flashed SSD to latest firmware.

The only thing that really seems to work is to enable "Deep S4/S5" in BIOS, but I think this worked around the problem and didn't go to what really caused it.

I'm afraid the cause of the unusual "turn ons" can lead to other problems, like ruining some other PC components (drives, memory, etc.) or onboard devices (like USB ports, VGA, keyboard controller, etc.).

Any idea?

Notes:

- Even when the PC is off (shutdown S5 state) with "deep S4/S5" enabled, the keyboard numlock and function (MS keyboard) leds sometimes are lit.

- Hibernate option is disabled to free up space in the SSD boot drive.

- I'm not used to put my PC to the stand by mode, only shutdown.

- Intel Desktop Utilities is not installed since all versions up to the current one (3.2.1.042a) are presenting some sort of compatibility issues with Windows and the resident/running services, causing latency peaks leading to audio and video drop-outs (as I posted in another discussion).

- I bought and assembled this PC in April/2011.

- I also forgot to tell that I have no pets at home.

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
          Flying_Kiwi

duda_ce wrote:

- I also forgot to tell that I have no pets at home.

That's very open minded of you to think that could have anything to do with things How long has this problem been occurring for and do you recall any changes you made just before the ghostly turn ons started happening?

When this question pops up it's usually Wake on LAN that's behind things and unplugging the LAN cable (for testing purposes) exposes it but I see you've tried that (along with many other things I'd suggest trying) with no success and the problem still occurs.

Apart from the case power button, is there any other way of turning this PC on from it's S5 state (eg on my PC I have an iMON LCD Module in the case and the remote for this will also turn on the PC from a fully powered off state, I also have a Comprotech TV card capable of performing this feat to record scheduled programs)?

You could try simply unplugging the PC from the wall and allow any residual power to drain away from the internals for 10 minutes or so (that's the advise for my TV card if/when the powering up function misbehaves). Then plug it in again and see if that makes a difference (testing over a number of nights etc). If this makes no difference, the next step would be to temporarily remove/disconnect any devices responsible for a yes in the above paragraph to eliminate them from suspicion.

My no 1 hunch for hardware that may cause this problem is the PSU - obviously you don't want to go buying a new one (or RMAing under warranty) unless you are sure so do you have another suitable PSU you can take out of another PC or borrow from friends or family 'for testing purposes'? If so, swap that in and see what results you get. It'd also be worth carefully inspecting the case power switch and its wiring (possibly even unplugging it from the board after the PC is switched off and seeing if that makes a difference testing it over a number of nights (obviously you'd need to connect it again when you want to boot the PC). You may want to do this test before swapping PSUs to possibly save more work. Some things to try anyway.... let us know how you get on.

• 2. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
            duda_ce

Thanks a lot Flying_Wiki,

below are some answers to your questions:

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

How long has this problem been occurring for and do you recall any changes you made just before the ghostly turn ons started happening?

I recalled the latest changes were about one week prior to the problem start, but no hardware changes, just new drivers downloaded Intel and installed.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Apart from the case power button, is there any other way of turning this PC on from it's S5 state (eg on my PC I have an iMON LCD Module in the case and the remote for this will also turn on the PC from a fully powered off state, I also have a Comprotech TV card capable of performing this feat to record scheduled programs)?

No other way to turn on the PC, no other device attached, just the configuration mentioned in the first discussion post + a standard LG display.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

You could try simply unplugging the PC from the wall and allow any residual power to drain away from the internals for 10 minutes or so (that's the advise for my TV card if/when the powering up function misbehaves). Then plug it in again and see if that makes a difference (testing over a number of nights etc). 

I'll try that, but it will take a while since I'll have guests at the PC room for a week or two...

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

My no 1 hunch for hardware that may cause this problem is the PSU - obviously you don't want to go buying a new one (or RMAing under warranty) unless you are sure so do you have another suitable PSU you can take out of another PC or borrow from friends or family 'for testing purposes'? If so, swap that in and see what results you get.

I'll check if I can get one PSU from a friend or relative.

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

It'd also be worth carefully inspecting the case power switch and its wiring (possibly even unplugging it from the board after the PC is switched off and seeing if that makes a difference testing it over a number of nights (obviously you'd need to connect it again when you want to boot the PC).      I've already replaced the power switch for the reset switch, also unplugged the power switch wires, no positive result.

I've already replaced the power switch for the reset switch, also unplugged the power switch wires, no positive result.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your tips. Just some little more information:

- The numlock and function leds on the keyboard sometimes (not always) are lit just a few seconds after powering down the PC when the "deep S4/S5" option is enabled in BIOS (it doesn't happen when "deep S4/S5" is disabled in BIOS), and if they are lit, they keep this way for a while (I'm not sure if it lasts until next PC power up using the power switch) - Note: the MS keyboard also has a function button in addition to the caps, scroll and num lock.
            - I've read in a few forums that the motherboard battery may not be charging properly and the PC turns it on by itself to try to charge it. I already removed the battery and reinstalled it, but no success. I didn't find in the market a brand new to replace the existing one, but I'll look again for it. Anyway, I really don't think this is the problem, since I never got a BIOS message to replace the battery or something like that, the clock is running ok without any delays, I never got a BIOS setting changed by itself or reset to the defaults and also the event log in BIOS don't have any record of this type of problem. Also I don't think there's any sort of instruction on the motherboard to act this way.

- The suggestion that I have found in a few forums (and seems the more reasonable to me) is that my computer is haunted and that I should call the Ghostbusters, one of the posts even lists their phone number...

So I'll keep looking. The "deep S4/S5" option seems to be a good temporary solution, but as I explained earlier, I'm concerned that the actual reason for the unusual power ups could cause damages to the motherboard components, processor or any other devices.

Once again, thank you for your time. Have a great 2012.

Best regards.

• 3. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
              Flying_Kiwi

duda_ce wrote:

I've already replaced the power switch for the reset switch, also unplugged the power switch wires, no positive result.

So you have, sorry I missed that part. You really have tried lots of different things and documented them well - I only wish everyone who posts here was so proactive and thorough. I noted your comments about the keyboard lights but you also mentioned you'd tested it with the keyboard unplugged and it still booted without user interaction - to me that rules out the keyboard itself as a cause of the booting (although the lights coming on *sometimes* are a mystery - try and see if there's any pattern to when the keyboard lights stay on and when they don't.

I suppose one other thing you could try after the PSU swap (if it comes to that and you still have no luck) is a fresh install of the OS from scratch and then install and test each driver one at a time (given you mentioned the problem started occurring a week or so after drivers were updated). I don't understand how drivers could be causing this however as when the board is shut down, they're not loaded.... well perhaps the Intel ME software and the ethernet chip boot from LAN firmware - I'm not sure how that could be causing this intermittant problem however. Also, if this was a driver issue, we'd have alot more people complaining about the same thing. I assume you've double checked the system to ensure there's no wires (or bits of case, lost screws etc) in contact with places on the motherboard where they shouldn't be - that's the sort of thing that really can cause damage and its user induced so your warranty may not cover you in those sorts of cases.

I'll be following this ghost mystery with interest!

• 4. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                duda_ce

Hi Flying_Kiwi. Thanks for the suggestions.

Up to now, I was not able to get a PSU to test it. Since I had some guests at home I had enabled the "deep S4/S5" option and the PC didn't turn on by itself. Also I was not able to get a pattern regarding the keyboard lights, but I noticed on the second day or so and afterwards (with the deep S4/S5 enabled) that the lights were not coming up anymore (still a mistery).

Last Thursday or Friday (Jan 5th/6th) the guests were gone and I noticed there were 2 new drivers (Lan 16.8 and Audio 6.0.1.6526). I installed them, disabled the Deep S4/S5 and the PC was doing ok until today. When I arrived at home from work it was on (for 3 or 4 days it didn't turn on by itself, not considering the week with the deep S4/S5 enabled, with this option enabled the PC never turned on by itself).

I was hoping the new Lan drivers had something to do with it, but it seems they don't.

Well, I'll still looking for a PSU, this reply was just to update.

Thank you and have a great 2012.

Best regards.

• 5. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                  Flying_Kiwi

I wouldn't go splashing out on a new PSU unless you are sure this problem is caused by the existing one. Much better to borrow one from a friend etc for testing or even send the PC into a computer repair store and ask them to test it, than run up a bill for something it may turn out, is not required.

Remember that you can rule out the LAN altogether by simply leaving it turned off for many days but leaving the ethernet cable unplugged from the PC the whole time. If it then boots up, you can bet the LAN has nothing to do with things!

• 6. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                    duda_ce

Hi Flying_Kiwi, sorry for taking so long to reply.

I finally borrowed a PSU, tested it and the computer keeps turning on by itself.

I also tried other things with no positive result:

- removed the boot disk (SSD) power cable (and the computer turned on asking for boot disk),

- formatted the boot disk and reinstalled the system (I had to do it due to other software error) and installed the old drivers that came in the CD with the MoBo and,

- updated BIOS to version 146.

Don't you think it may have something to do with the battery, even though the clock is on time and the event log in BIOS doesn't display any errors? I'm thinking of looking for a new battery and replace it.

Another things I noticed: sometimes the PC turns on by itself right after (few seconds) shutting down and, when shutting down, the keyboard lights blink in no regular pattern or sequence (at least I was not able to detect one), sometimes it blinks two, sometimes, three, ...

Well, it seems that I'm running out of options. Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help and effort.

Best regards.

• 7. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                      Flying_Kiwi

Which PSU did you borrow to test this with (make and model)?

To answer your question, as long as the time is not lost, no I don't believe the coin cell (motherboard battery) is to blame for your problem.

Have you checked that your Kingston RAM is exactly the correct part number and approved for this specific motherboard.

As you have a complex system with an SSD and a USB connected UPS, my thoughts as far as determining the culprit are to simplify things as much as possible but alot of this you've already tried unsuccessfully eg unplugging USB devices and the LAN cable. You could try replacing the SSD with a single regular HDD though just for testing purposes. At least if you find the problem goes away with a regular drive as the boot drive, that's something you could get back to Intel with, to aid in their own testing. Sorry but I'm unfamiliar with what the S5 deep sleep BIOS option is all about so perhaps others (or Intel Tech Support) can provide guidance there.

• 8. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                        duda_ce

Thank you Flying_Kiwi,

The PSU I borrowed is also a Seventeam, but an old one, model ST-420BKV-03F.

The memory modules are 2 x KVR1333D3N9/4G, I didn't check if they are approved since I was unable to find this information, but it matches the basic requirements.

Thanks for the comments. For now I'm gonna stick with the Deep S4/S5 enabled in BIOS and hope no component is damaged from now on.

When I have the time and get a new HDD I might take a shot and install a fresh system.

Just to remind, I got this PC in April, so it took about 8 months working smoothly until this problem began.

Thank you for your effort and time, if I get some more information elsewhere or make new tests I'll post here.

Best regards.

• 9. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                          Flying_Kiwi

Here is the Support home page for the DH67CL and you'll find a link to system memory on the right. Unfortunately the list of tested memory comprises of only one type of a different brand and the further link gives a different brand still so thats no help in your case.

A search of the Kingston memory website shows other versions of their modules as being the modules of choice for your board (although the numbers are close and most of the specs are probably correct - I've not checked the datasheets in detail). Perhaps it'd be worth contacting Kingston to ask them why your modules aren't listed as compatible for this board.

If it's been working fine for 8 months that may be because an upgrade to either drivers, software or firmware has resulted in the memory being worked harder or in a way that previously it wasn't (eg using more advanced features associated with powersaving states etc). Again, maybe the memory manufacturer can throw some light on what the differences are.

• 10. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                            duda_ce

Hi Flying_Kiwi.

I've contacted Kingston's support and the difference between KVR1333D3N9/4G and KVR1333D3N9H/4G is that the "H" refers to a "full size" module (30 mm high) and the KVR1333D3N9/4G refers to a "low profile" module (18.5 mm). Intel suggests that "full size" modules are used (some people not agree), but mine KVR1333D3N9/4G, despite of not having the "H", are full size (30 mm high), and so Kingston says they're compatible to my motherboard. They also said if I had a compatibility problem it should occur right away when the PC was assembled, it would not happen after several months. They even suggested that I run "memtest"; I did so and got no errors.

Well, I've enabled the "deep S4/S5" option in BIOS and will keep looking for something different, if something happens I'll post here. I hope it at least keep this way, that nothing more serious happen.

Thank you for your effort.

Best regards.

• 11. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                              Flying_Kiwi

duda_ce wrote:

They also said if I had a compatibility problem it should occur right away when the PC was assembled, it would not happen after several months.

This is true to a point but if other changes to the system are made since first assembly (changes such as enabling more advanced features which may 'work' the memory harder or use some more advanced features - which it may or may not have), that could explain things. If you have no access to test the system with other memory then short of others chiming in with their experiences/ideas here, it's over to dealing with Intel Tech Support for a solution. Best of luck.

• 12. Re: PC turns on by itself (from S5 state - DH67CL MotherBoard)
                                duda_ce

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

thanks a lot for all the support. In fact it will be kinda difficult for me to get other memory to test. I'll try to, but have no much hope.

Regarding my previous post, I read it again and I wrote "I will keep looking for something different", sorry for that, but in fact I meant that I'll keep my eyes on my PC, updating the latest drivers and BIOS software and watching the results.

Well, in fact the problem is not a big deal since I'm used to turn the PC on by hitting the power button and for security reasons I don't like to keep wake on LAN or other "auto on" option enabled, so the "deep S4/S5" option does just fine.

From everything we've tested and all your posts I understood that my motherboard is ok, the problem may be some sort of driver or minor hardware incompatibility and that I don't have much risk of a harware failure/damage, than I feel much comfortable and relieved.

I really appreciate your huge effort during these two months. If something new comes up I'll post here.

Best regards,

Duda.