6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 11:25 AM by Aiglard

DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.

Aiglard

Ok so I bought a new DH67BL intel motherboard monday, and tried installing my new stuff and can't get past a few problems.

First off, the board sometimes report the following problem during startup.

The following was a problem detected.

CMOS: battery failure. Right before loading windows XP 64 bit.

I've manged to install and run windows XP 64 bit, for a maximum of 5 hrs, but then it crashes with a BSOD.

So I have a i5-2500, a DH67BL motherboard, 8gig of 2X4gb ram of ddr3, an ocz SSD, and using a 8800Gt 512mb.

With a generic DVD-RW, I managed to install windows XP 64 bit, and then after 5hrs of browsing the internet and playing with my favorite in firefox, boom, BSOD, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, with a disk.sys reference.

0x00000050 (0xfffffadfc404e210,0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffadf29e57290, 0x0000000000000000)

adress

fffffadf29e57290 base at fffffadf29e5300

datestamp 45d69708

I changed the video card for a GT9600 512mb, same thing, the same BSOD.

So I then changed the SSD for my 500gb hdd, and same thing after loading windows and the intel drivers, while I was stable for all of an hour, and then the same BSOD.

So knowing from my searches that it's the following.

Error Message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Explanation:

This  Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The  system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks  for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing  data is identified as being located within an area of memory that  cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the  data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service,  antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this  type of error.

User Action:

This Stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty  hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually  related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video  RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to  see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or  replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the  system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners  manual for your computer.   Another cause of this Stop message is the installation of a buggy system  service. Disable the service and determine if this resolves the error.  If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible  update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your  computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the  operating system choices. At the resulting Windows 2000  Advanced Options menu, choose the  Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service  is added at a time.  Antivirus software can also trigger this Stop message. Disable the  program and determine if this resolves the error. If it does, contact  the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.   A corrupted NTFS volume can also generate this Stop message. Run  Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. Restart the system before the disk  scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for  problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.  Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error  messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver causing the  error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.   For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to  the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.

So knowing that, usually  related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video  RAM, I've excluded the HDD or SSD possibility, and excluded the video ram possibility, so my next test will be to see if using a single stick of ram will stop the problem.

My question is this, given my problems, and details, can anyone help me?

Because I bought all of it online, and I already paid a tech 100$ to be told my mobo needed to be hard started... (because it stopped after the post and wouldn't load the windows setup and then wouldn't start whatsoever) Anyway, so in a long winded way, I feel I got scammed there, I live in a very small city lost in the middle of nowhere, and I bought everything online, and would dearly love to know if I need to return my board, cpu, or ram for a replacement, as I only have 30 days, and when trying to solve those, it can take a while.

Thank you all for your help if you can, and a merry christmass to all!!!

• 1. Re: DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.
          Flying_Kiwi

There's one very important bit of hardware that you haven't told us about yet - what powersupply (make and model/wattage) is in this PC? I wouldn't be to hooked on that specific page fault error as being too indicative of whats going on. It's always a good idea to go back to basics with any fault-finding on a new system. In practice this means removing ALL superfluous hardware and software and testing again. Certainly don't go loading up all your favourite software and games etc until you've got it running stable or it'll be time wasted when you just have to do another fresh installation.

As you already have built in graphics on the board, I'd try it with the video card removed altogether and just the keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged in. What BIOS version is on the motherboard? As long as it's at least ver 0105 or higher, that should support all i5-2500 CPU variants.

Did you use the F6 driver installation for an AHCI setup with Win XP (perhaps with the Intel RST Floppy drivers slipstreamed into the installation CDROM)? Ax you are not using a recent OS with this recent board, there's a chance this may be a contributing factor if its still just on IDE mode. Is there any compelling reason why you chose to go with XP x64 rather than Win 7 as installing XP on such a setup really is a pain due to the F6 installation issue and the fact you don't have a native floppy drive (unless you have a compatible USB one). This model of board had a known issue with the SATA ports (along with many 6 series boards) when first released. You could download and run the utility available on your boards download page to ensure your board has had this issue addressed.

At this stage I wouldn't be in a hurry to send bits back because without determining if any parts are faulty, the replacement is likely to still give the same error (as you've already found with the graphics card and SSD replacements). If, however the above test shows you have a board affected by the SATA bug then you should have the board replaced with a B3 stepping revision or newer which will be unaffected by the issue. Your CMOS battery shouldn't be failing at this early stage so make sure the battery is correctly installed and the contacts are clean (maybe with some contact cleaner on a cotton bud (or 'Q-tip' as they're known in America). A new coin cell of the correct type should be very cheap but make sure the power is unplugged from the motherboard if you do change it. Also check nothing is contacting the motherboard in places where it shouldn't be connected (especially on the back of the board) as this could result in the battery discharging (eg a lost screw wedged in between the board and chassis).

• 2. Re: HD67BL mobo, bsod problem.
            Aiglard

Ok the power supply is an Antec 500 watt ps, comming with antec sonnata III tower.

I have absolutely nothing but the bare minimum on, that means a HDD, or SSD, one video card, ram, mobo chip and monitor, with mouse and keyboard.

So, I'm really running the bare minimum, as for loading a lot of software before it's stable, I didn't install anything beside firefox to get the right drivers, because nvidia webstie will not let me download them with ie 6, as for windows XP 64 bit, I read a lot of review that said that windows 7 and ssd with this board are hard to make work. Maybe I was lead astray, I'd be more then willing to do the jump to windows 7.

The only thing I can do at this point is use only 1 stick of ram at a time and see if the issue persist.

Like I said, I think I've ruled out it being a bad video card, or bad HD or SSD, I also have another SSD to test, but don't think that would solve it.

At this point I believe it's a motherboard issue, I did manage to install the latest bios version for my motherboard, when I installed windows for the first time with the SSD, like I said it ran fine for a fll 5 hr, and then out of nowhere, bsod, and then couldn't avoid more and more bsod everytime I booted, so closed it for the night, and posted this yesterday.

Didn't work on it on christmass, since I was busy, so tomorow, I'll keep working on finding a solution. I did read the entire manual, but couldn't find anything of help concerning this problem.

I do have another antec sonnata III, so I can always switch the ps and see if that helps, I truelly hate having to do this however, as I have to completely disassemble the pc to switch ps, thats a downside of those very nice antec case.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and hopping to find a solution to that.

I believe I have 30 days to find out if the piece is defective, and I know not to ship back any piece before I'm sure its defective, just to receive a similar piece back with the same problem.

Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and helpful post.

• 3. Re: DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.
              Flying_Kiwi

Aiglard wrote:

Ok the power supply is an Antec 500 watt ps, comming with antec sonnata III tower.

I have absolutely nothing but the bare minimum on, that means a HDD, or SSD, one video card, ram, mobo chip and monitor, with mouse and keyboard.

So, I'm really running the bare minimum, as for loading a lot of software before it's stable, I didn't install anything beside firefox to get the right drivers, because nvidia webstie will not let me download them with ie 6, as for windows XP 64 bit, I read a lot of review that said that windows 7 and ssd with this board are hard to make work.

That answers my concerns about power, a good reliable make with plenty of power to spare so I wouldn't see the need to go swapping PSUs around - it's also plenty of power to not need to take the Graphics card out for testing purposes - although strictly speaking, you could do this and use the inbuilt graphics card to have a truely minimal system, even though I understand your intention is to use a discrete card long term) As far as the OS choice, fair enough although since that review was written, perhaps fixes with Win 7 have come along (eg SP1)? There's no way I'd be buying Win XP (even x64) to put on a new home PC these days (and I say that as a person who was initially reluctant to let go of XPs simpler and more intuitive interface). It'd be worth trying Win 7 SP1 with your preferred hardware if you have that as an option. There's a trial 90 day version of the 'all-in' Enterprise edition available for 'IT Professionals' for free on Microsofts website.

There were a few other points I raised which you've not touched on:

1. Have you performed an installation with AHCI drivers or are you just using IDE HDD mode in the BIOS?
              2. Was it a standard OS installation using default values in the installation and in the BIOS settings (and did you load BIOS defaults and save out after updating your BIOS - something you should do as a matter of course IMO).
              3. What about the flat motherboard battery warning - have you looked into that yet because that definitely should not be happening and it may hold the key to what's gone wrong. Did you take the battery out and clean the area with contact cleaner - have you inspected the motherboard for things touching the tracers and connecting where they shouldn't (such as a lost screw trapped between the back of the board and the case side)? Has this message came up again or was it a once only one?

I see little point in trying just one stick of ram unless you think one may be faulty. If they're both new and you've used ESD precautions when handling them (such as not touching the gold connectors and touching the case to earth yourself before plugging them into the slot) are they the correct RAM for a DH67BL? If you bought it all together as a bundle to be used together, the supplier should have checked this but if you have the RAM make and part number (maybe on the receipt if not on the sticks themselves), you can usually check independantly on the RAM manufacturers website for compatibility with specific motherboards.

Finally, I've just noticed that the board model number in the subject header had the first two letters in reverse order so I've corrected them in my postings (you could edit yours to do the same if you wish - that way people searching for threads covering this board using the correct terms will pick up the thread).

• 4. Re: DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.
                Aiglard

Thank you very much for your assistance and regards to details.

As for your questions, sorry to have missed them.

1- The setup would not load with AHCI, thus I had to use IDE for the SATA configuration.

2- Like mentioned in number 1, i had to change that setting, I also updated the bios after full isntall, however the very first time, since I had problems, I did turn off the onboard audio, to axe any problem from that angle, otherwise didn't touch anything else.

3- I did a thoughrough inspection, and when i brought the board to the store, the guy also checked it and told me the battery was good and tested fine, no stray bolt or anything around it, I just re-checked it just to be sure earlier. You never know.

Ok, so I took out the video card, and the second stick of ram, the computer has been running for 9hr+ and counting. I'm not loading anything fancy, simply letting windows XP update, and got firefox as stated earlier, I did run my game Rift after the 6 hr mark to "stress" the computer some, and even though the graphics are horrendous with the onboard cpu video, it played fine.

So, I'm thinking at this point it's either a bad stick of ram, or my CPI express port has a problem?

If the comp makes it through 24 hrs of continuous non-problematic running, I'll then try adding my video card, and see how it does, do you think it's a good idea? or should i try the second stick of ram first?

As for the component fitting together, I took a good hr to double check every component, specification, and compatibility, I bought Adata ddr3 1333 premier ram.

I also always make sure to work in such a way as to prevent any stray static electricity, it could happen I made a mistake, I am only human. however to the best of my ability, and this is the 50th+ comp I've assembled, I've never burned any components so far, hopping never to, but it can happen.

I'll admit, I only know so much about computers because in my beginning, after buying a lemon, from a store that was less then helpful, I had to learn on my own. So I did learn a lot, and still learn everytime I build a comp.

Finally as far as XP, the main reason being like I previously mentioned that I read many reviews discouraging the use of windows 7 for SSD and this board, they might have been wrong, saddly the internet is not always reliable, should have read more info on that. I'm more then willing to buy a windows 7 copy if it solves my issue.

• 5. Re: DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.
                  Flying_Kiwi

If the ram is one of these (4 GB) Adata modules then they list them as compatible: AD3U1333C4G9 or SU3U1333C4G9 here (after entering the relevant motherboard details).

It may well just be that your system is less stressed without having to power the graphics card and handle the data transfer it generates. I'd definitely be inclined with further testing to put the additional DIMM in first (checking everything on the DIMM contacts and its matching slot is spotless). I once had memory errors and BSODs after getting a tiny bit of Arctic Silver CPU paste on a DIMM slot. Cleaning it off with contact cleaner and a cotton bud fixed things good as new. The graphics card can go back in last, once you are certain the whole system is stable.

As you have assembled 50+ PCs (more than me), maybe you can be considered an IT Professional and download the free 90 Day trial of Win 7 Enterprise to 'try before you buy'. If you find you like that more (and it turns out to work with your particular SSD fine) then you can buy the product, assured that it meets your needs. I'd hate to suggest you buy Win 7 and then find that it still has the problems your read about in the review and that you're not happy with using it. Although using Windows XP x64 with this board is listed as having 'as-is' support status for the board, from what I've seen, it looks like the necessary drivers are there to support that OS - so it should run fine once everything is correctly installed. The reason why the AHCI drivers didn't install when you attempted this, may be because you hadn't integrated the drivers into your XP installation CDROM correctly (something you don't have to worry about doing with Win 7)? Intel has a section devoted to F6 AHCI/RAID driver installation here (checkout the links from that page as well). Don't worry about the fact it keeps referring to RAID drivers - the AHCI drivers are included in the same package and the instructions refer to both. If you are wanting to run an SSD, I would have thought having these drivers correctly installed may make a difference.

Necessity is the mother of invention and I started learning about computers a little like you. After I bought my 1st PC (a 486 DX2-66 with Win 3.1), I got it home and found the mouse didn't work. I went to the trouble of packaging it up, driving 30 mins back to the shop and on finding they took around 1 minute to fix it (they just loaded a mouse driver off a floppy), I figured it could save me some time if I got to know the same sorts of things. Let me know if you need help finding the Win 7 trial but when I checked today, there was a link to it from Microsofts home page.

• 6. Re: DH67BL mobo, bsod problem.
                    Aiglard

Well, I took out the video card and one stick of ram, and it ran fine for over 33 hrs, so I get up today, it's still playing a video, and hasn't bsod. But as I am eating my toast it rebooted. I'm hopping it was a windows update, has it didn't bsod, I changed setting so they don't reboot, so I could catch the message.

Anyway, it either seems it's a psu problem, ram, or bad video card slot.