1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 10:48 PM by Buzz-3

DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working

Buzz-3

Intel does not have email support for the DZ68BC board.  I am trying to find a workaround with the front panel usb ports not being recognized as being usb 3.0.  The latest drivers do not make a difference.  WD 2TB USB 3.0 and Lacie 2TB USB 3.0 devices do not function properly and cause system instability, no restart or shut down control.  Any one have the same problems with this board?

Thank you......

• 1. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
          Flying_Kiwi

You're using the latest drivers but what about the latest BIOS version? The last time I saw someone reporting problems with their USB 3.0 ports and external drives, it was due to application interference from Antivirus software (which has since been patched) so have you tested this in a minimal configuration ie just the OS, all it's live updates, the chipset drivers and other motherboard related drivers/motherboard essential software installed?

When it does work, if you're not getting decent performance, are you sure you are using the USB 3.0 headers and not the USB 2.0 Hi-power headers? Is your chassis equipped with USB 3.0 front ports - although USB 2.0 hardware is supposed to be backwards compatible, if these aren't top quality ports and cables and they're only designed for USB 2.0 speeds max, that could explain your problems. I would have thought you'd prefer eSATA External drives for peak performance and best power control.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
            vbaderks

I am using Windows 8 Developer edition with a DZ68BC board (bios v27) an I have not seen problems with the USB 3.0 front headers and 2.0 USB external harddisk. Windows 8 has a new USB 3.0 stack and support for USB 3.0 is out of the box.
            Windows 8 developer edition is a free download, you can always try it if you need to determine if this a hardware problem or a driver problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
              Buzz-3

Thank you for the interest in my situation Flying Kiwi. Your 792 post is very impressive. This is a first for me to join a forum for problem solving.    I have the latest bios updates with XP Home and noticed my OS is at the bottom of the list for support and very limited at that. I have to much in software to update to a newer OS.  I do not want to surrender more control in the newer Vista, 7 and 8 OS as much as I would like 64 bit platform.

I have found the rear USB 3.0 (blue plastic internal pin) ports do not give me the windows pop-up reminder to use the 3.0 device on a faster port.  I do get an error when Drive Image 7.0 does a backup to the Lacie USB 2Tb 3.0 external. Supposedly the data was compromised and I need to save it somewhere else.  Looking on the Lacie drive saved file appears to be the correct and intact back up image less one normal file that usually accompanies the backup process. On teh USB power headers, I don't have a feel when to use or problems from incorrect ussage.  Can you help me with that?

I am on my 4th USB 3.0 device replacement when it may have been the board USB 3.0 problem.  I have also had problems with a PCIexpress and PCI  to IDE controllers to bring on new and old IDE drives.  They made my system so instable with Winlogon.exe problems.  Overall I am not impressed with my choice to go with the Intel DZ68BC board and should have looked at other boards for my needs.  I'm not sure if I should return the board and jump ship on Intel.  The next few days will decide.

Lastly, I am very disapointed in Intel support on this board. Forgive me if I offend any Intel loyalist. I once was myself but times change and so does the corporate internal mission statement. The series 6 chipset on this board is no where to be found for submitting questions with email and there is no other way to reach Intel support other than chat which is not available. You all are the only thing going for help and I am very grateful for any and all experiences.  I find it strange for Intel to offer so few choices for support beyond Intel web self help.  Has a sense of disregard for the paying customer.

I'll keep chuggin along.  Thanks again for any and all comments and Merry Christmas!

C.F.

• 4. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                Buzz-3

Thank you vbaderks.  Are you using the 32 or 64 bit platform and whawt OS were you using before?  How long have you had this board?

Thanks,

C. F.

• 5. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                  Flying_Kiwi

C.F. wrote:

I have to much in software to update to a newer OS.  I do not want to surrender more control in the newer Vista, 7 and 8 OS as much as I would like 64 bit platform.

<and then>

The series 6 chipset on this board is no where to be found for submitting questions with email and there is no other way to reach Intel support other than chat which is not available.

You have a state of the art board but your choice of OS is far from matching. In the first of your quotes above you expressed concern with software compatibility when using OSs newer than XP. Microsoft have gone to great lengths to make the move from XP to Windows 7 as smooth as possible. Windows 7 Professional and above have a special Windows XP mode that can be downloaded and installed, This allows for a virtual copy of Win XP SP3 to run on the PC so you should have no excuse for compatibility concerns stopping you.

Regarding your second quote - you are absolutely correct that it's not good enough that any new chipset motherboard should be ommitted from the dropdown list. You should be able to get telephone tech support for your motherboard if you have all your boards identification numbers (incl AA and serial number) ready when you phone them. If you really wanted to email them from the link at the bottom of the Contact Support page (rather than clicking on the motherboard graphic and using the phone number provided for your region), I'd just select a different motherboard and explain in the notes of your contact the correct board. Whicever way you do contact them, make sure you tell them that the dropdown submenu list of 6 series boards needs updating.

If it was my board I'd be upgrading the OS as already mentioned by vbaderks. If you wanted to try Windows 7 Enterprise, there's also a free 90 day trial version available for 'IT Professionals'. You could also pay for a Technet Subscription and then you get to test the latest official versions of a whole range of Microsoft Software.

• 6. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                    Buzz-3

Thank you Flying_Kiwi and vbaderks,

Intel was reached with a chat session this morning.  They are technically not interested or acknowledging it is their problem with front USB 3.0 header issues.  I have three separate USB 3.0 storage brand devices that are not functioning as USB 3.0 devices with either front panel USB 3.0 ports.  The rear board ports work without issue with all three storage USB 3.0 devices.

Intel says I need to get device support and the device(s) say I need Intel to support.  Intel is released from support due to XP and states no problems are reported with USB 3.0 and Windows 7.  Also PCIe or PCI to PATA interface card functionality is not their problem in that they built in compliance, functionality is not their responsibility with regard to PATA storage interfaces.  Clearly XP is not the intended OS for the Intel DZ68BC board even though XP is the dominant OS out here.  Eventually I will be forced to Windows 7 but the learning curve is a bit daunting at this point.  I am not ready to sacrifice system usage just to have the functionality gain.  I don't begrudge Intel for the lack of backward compatibility/support.  I am in the company millions with a stable, familiar XP system and being marginalized to the fringe is awkward.

I am not finding much that is current about Windows 7 reviews regarding the XP hold outs and experiences/issues migrating. I understand a Windows 7 SR2 may be in the works for a late spring release.  Don't know if that will help or hinder integration of expensive Adobe, Sony software/plugins and hardware compatibility.  I don't mind the problems when I know there are solutions.

Thanks for the help and comments folks.

C.F.

• 7. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                      Flying_Kiwi

C.F. wrote:

Intel was reached with a chat session this morning.  They are technically not interested or acknowledging it is their problem with front USB 3.0 header issues.  I have three separate USB 3.0 storage brand devices that are not functioning as USB 3.0 devices with either front panel USB 3.0 ports.  The rear board ports work without issue with all three storage USB 3.0 devices.

That throws a new light on things! I didn't realise the rear ports were working without issue. How do you know (for sure) that it's simply just that your cases front USB ports and their leads that go to the motherboard aren't up to the task of dealing with USB 3.0? I did mention in an earlier post in this thread to check your case ports and leads for compatibility - what does the case manufacturer have to say about it? If they just give a vague 'they're USB ports' type response and won't be clear on whether they've been successfully tested with USB 3.0 motherboards, I think we may have found the culprit.

You may be able to find a USB 3.0 compatible rear face plate header adapter and salvage the leads, sockets and connectors and transfer them to the front of your case if necessary but really IMO the ball is now in the case providers/manufacturers court to come up with a working solution.

• 8. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                        Buzz-3

Intel support for testing USB 3.0 board front headers is to upgrade to Windows 7.  That test would cost me $260.00 and who knows the hours in learning a new system.  I don't knolw how XP could know the difference of functionality from front to back USB 3.0 headers.  I guess if Intel thinks this is the solution,  what does that say about their products or their support?  I chose this board for a strong forward growth and reasonable backward legacy support allowing the best combo for my total hardware/software/experience with the Windows platform.  My studies for this board didn't anticipate the "grey" area inconpatibility issues and underestimated the corporate push to get us to spend one way of the other, sooner or later.  I never doubted being in the "bait ball", just how many predators would be flying through!

On your point of front connectivity and the case manufacture, Corsair Carbide Series 400R Midtower, I will check in on them with the issue and run that lead.

I can tell we share a respect for problems and an equal respect for those that solve. Thanks for added horsepower in my efforts.  I'll pay it forward when I can.

Regards,

C.F.

• 9. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                          vbaderks

I have both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 preview x64 version installed (dual boot). I just bought the DZ68BC 2 months ago (when it was released in the Netherlands)

• 10. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                            vbaderks

I have my DZ68BC in a Fractal Design Define R3 case with 1 front USB 3.0 port. Actually Fractal Design sells an USB 2.0 -> USB 3.0 upgrade kit for about 10$ (with an internal USB 3.0 header). Finding an alternative front port may not be that difficult.

The technical docs for the DZ68BC state that they support: Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit).

Note: when I mentioned Windows 8 preview as a OS to test your configuration I was thinking in the line of installing Win8 side by side (dual-boot) on a small partition just for the purpose of testing your front USB 3.0 connection, not a replacement Os. The drivers in Win8 for the USB 3 port list in Window Device Manager: Renesas USB 0.96 eXtensible Host Controller (Microsoft). The latest drivers on the Intel download are from Renesas Electronics v2.1.28.0.

• 11. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                              Buzz-3

Intel support for XP Home is "as-is" with barely driver support for on board hardware and is at the bottom of the list for supported OS.  With the website reference to "as-is" it does give them a separation reference point to limited support.  They do take advantage of it and very quickly.  They offered discussion enough to impart some interest but bailed at the first opportunity.  Again this board was not targeting XP at all.

I noticed in the research documentation for Windows 7,  USB 3.0 is not that well supported and seemingly integrates as you reference in Windows 8.  That comes as a surprise given USB 3.0 has been around for a while now.  I thought is was a good time for the advancement in hardware connectivity but it seems I could have waited a few more years till the drivers were better written to the spectrum of hardware now available and later as well.

The reluctance of changing OS not only is from the learning curve but the lack of understanding as to how corporations/manufacturers integrate data mining through the back door of our systems with updates, auto or manual.  It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have data that is proprietary to my business and personal endeavors.  If you look at all privacy and terms of use language of all hardware/software corporations it is to protect them ultimately.  It is not for them to protect us against them, that is our job or the government if they can align with consumers over lobbying corporations.  We are on our own when it comes to our identities and concerns.

I have a fairly good hand on how XP reaches out to the world.  Windows 7 and 8 are totally unknown to me.  There is no code written or offered to consumers that will work in Windows 7 or 8 that monitors the content of what leaves our systems when connected.  Their assurances are a protocol for liability and not a true statement as to what they do collect.  This is the nature of corporate structure verses consumers, deniability.  We do pay for everything, one way of the other.

On topic,  I have the USB 3.0 current drivers and BIOS updates.  Dual booting on my new build may be a great way to AB for trouble shooting.  Of course the other option is as you say, third party interfaces.  Thank you for the suggestions and comments.

• 12. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                                Buzz-3

I wonder if there is a widget that plugs into a USB port and measures the transfer rates and confirms stated functionality?

• 13. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                                  Flying_Kiwi

C.F. wrote:

Intel support for testing USB 3.0 board front headers is to upgrade to Windows 7.  That test would cost me $260.00 and who knows the hours in learning a new system.  I don't knolw how XP could know the difference of functionality from front to back USB 3.0 headers.  I guess if Intel thinks this is the solution,  what does that say about their products or their support?

<snip>

On your point of front connectivity and the case manufacture, Corsair Carbide Series 400R Midtower, I will check in on them with the issue and run that lead.

There's no contesting you're first point unless you failed to mention the USB 3.0 ports were working fine on the rear of the board - a very important point I only picked up on later in this thread.

As for that model of case, the case comes with USB 3.0 ports all right and the cable has the 20 pin (19 used) plug at the end according to the video on the makers website so it should suit your board. All I can think of is a possible manufacturing fault with your particular case front USB 3.0 ports/cable/plug but the fact the rear ports work fine and the front ones don't is leading me away from thinking it's OS related (unless there are some Win XP limitations to do with USB that newer OS's don't have). I really do think the case manufacturer is the place to approach though because they'll be the ones that get the horror story reports if this is a common issue with the case and new motherboards.

• 14. Re: DZ68BC and USB 3.0 front headers not working
                                    Buzz-3

While trying to narrow the problem to front or rear USB 3.0 I did test WD and Lacie external 2 TB USB 3.0 drives and a Patriot 32Gb USB 3.0 thumb drive on both front and rear ports 3.0 ports.  The Lacie drive was not recognized as a device at all on the front USB 3.0 ports.  The device manager did not see it either. The WD drive and thumb drive were recognized but not as USB 3.0 and a balloon pop-up with info to connect to a faster super speed USB 3.0 port when it was already plugged into the front USB 3.0 port.  This indicates to me that the front USB 3.0 ports do not function as USB 3.0.  I have emailed Corsair with the problem and am waiting to be acknowledged and addressed.  Likely tomorrow.  The Corsair leads from the front panel to the board header appears to be designed for the connectivity as you have mentioned.  I am suspect of the header with some USB functionality on the front ports although not USB 3.0.  I'll know what shakes out in the next few days.  Would be great to have a the DZ86BC club and pool everyone's experiences with hardware and software.  It sure could help those that Intel will let fall through the cracks.  We are not OS specific to this board.

1 2 Previous Next