2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 9:23 AM by WelmoedJ

    Matrix Storage RAID1 repeatedly marks drive 2 as failed

    WelmoedJ

      Hi All

       

      May I pick your brains to find a solution to my recent problem?

       

      I have an older 945PBL chipset computer with RAID1 array, both drives Seagate Barracuda 120Gb.

      OS is Windows XP Professional SP3 (localized Dutch), with all MS updates up to now.

       

      After some 5 years the second drive is reported "failed".

      Can happen, so I replaced the drive, had Matrix rebuild it and after a couple of days of problemless operation, the issue is back again.

      Checking this drive with Seatools revealed no hard drive issues.

      For certainty a new drive has been installed.

      Shortly thereafter the problem was back again.

      This new drive also has been found problemless by Seatools.

      I have tried both available software versions v4 and v5 of Matrix Storage, but they behave alike regarding this 2nd drive failure.

       

      FYI:

      I have had this type of error with another computer in a RAID5 array where each time - after about half a year's perfect operation - the second drive failed.

      In that case I replaced the (3) Barracuda's with 3 Fujitsu MHW2080BK (2.5" 24/7) drives. This solved this computer's problems. ----

       

      For this current issue I also decided to swap the Barracuda's for the same Fujitsu's.

      This went well for some 3 weeks, but now the problem has also hit the second Fujitsu drive: reported failed!

       

      Of course there is a difference in handling between RAID1 and RAID5, so comparison is IMO not applicable.

      Yet I feel that there's something either in the software or in the hard drive approach that is causing this error in RAID1.

      In another thread I noticed a remark to set "Volume Write-Back cache" to NO, but haven't tried that yet.

       

      Anyone of you feel up to advice and suggestions to help solve the problem?

        • 1. Re: Matrix Storage RAID1 repeatedly marks drive 2 as failed
          WelmoedJ

          Update:

           

          1. Changing the Write back from enabled to disabled, didn't solve the problem. Three weeks, no problems and now this error (2nd drive failed) pops up again.

           

          2. Setting the 2nd drive in the management program to accept the failed drive again starts rebuilding and finishes without problems.

           

          3. The first drive has never failed

           

          4. Changing the used SATA cable to another connector doesn't change the fact that the 2nd drive fails again (remind this drive has been exhanged more than once.

           

          Someone has a clue or usefull advice?

          • 2. Re: Matrix Storage RAID1 repeatedly marks drive 2 as failed
            WelmoedJ

            In other thread I have provided my findings in this still ongoing problem:

            Compressing these  findings:

            - The software reports drive 2 to be reported as failed, though the actual bad guy is drive 1 (called iastor0 as observed in the logs).

            - Neither of the drives report a failure while testing with factory disgnostic tools.

            - Using the latest version 7 for this system shows the software is protecting data while gettin gready in Windows (XP SP3).

            - Watching boot sequence the RAID screen shows both drives being Normal but the volume to be "Degraded" (started last week)

            - Once restarted the RAID screen shows "Rebuild" for this volume.

            - After Windows installed itself the Storage Manager starts rebuilding and completes without issues.

            - The changes I made to prevent interference by the bad HP and corrupting SEARCH software only were good for clean logs on those programs.

             

            My conclusion:

            - The RAID ROM has become defective

            - The RAID ROM (obviously) is not upgradable (no EEPROM or FLASH as the BIOS is)

            - The RAID software (version 4, 5 and 7) have flaws making all these problems occur

            - Software RAID is nice as long as it works but it is cumbersome to switch from Intel RAID to any other software RAID (incompatiblility and therefore only a totally new installation perhaps might solve the issue.

             

            I also observed that a lot of issues are reported on RAID but almost nobody seems interested in offering help or advise.

            Even no chime in from Intel support!

            Anyway I hope my findings may help someboby to solve his RAID1 problem.

            I won't invest more time in it, can use my time better.

             

            RAID on a software only basis is totally over for me.

            Perhaps cheap while on board, but in the long run too expensive (time).