Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Computer hangs/freezes when TV powered on

idata
Employee

Using the latest Intel HD Graphics Drivers (version 2559), my HTPC computer hangs whenver the TV is powered on while the computer is awake.

Configuration:

- ASUS P8H61-M

- Intel Core i3-2100

- 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance

- Windows 7 SP1, fresh install with all latest patches

- TV: Samsung DLP 6163W, connected through DVI

- Receiver: Denon, connected through SPDIF

Repro Steps:

1. Turn the TV on
  2. Turn the Receiver on
  3. Turn the computer on
  4. Wait for Window Login screen
  5. Login as a user (Note: This step is important. If the compuer is on the login screen, the problem doesn't reproduce)
  6. Wait a min (until desktop is initialized)
  7. Turn the TV off
  8. Wait 2 min (the TV takes a couple of min to turn off. One the TV is completely off, a windows sound is played - heard through the receiver)
  9. At this point, the computer is still alive, as I can see and browse files through its network shares
  10. Turn the TV back on.

Result:

Immediately after turning the TV on, a windows sound is played, then the computer hangs (network shares become unavailable). Only way is recover is to do a hard reset. After the hard reset, you are back to step 3. above and can reproduce the problem again. Note that sometimes the problem only happens if you repeat steps 7. to 10. a couple of times. Expected:Computer doesn't hang and TV show the desktop screen

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

UPDATE: Adding an ATI 5450 to the machine and using it as the main display adapter fixed the problem.

Message was edited by: rpaquay

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi there!

Do you have same problem with an earlier version of the graphics driver?

Did you probably try version 8.15.10.2509?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20389&ProdId=3319&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2832-bit%29*&DownloadType=%0ADrivers%0A

Have you loaded customized driver from Asus?

Are you using any video adapter? Like DVI to HDMI

Thanks

Allan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have tried both latest version from Intel web site (2509) and the ASUS drivers from the motherboard install DVD (2361).

There is no video adapter - it's motherboard DVI => TV DVI.

Sound comes from motherboard SPDIF to receiver SPDIF.

0 Kudos