1 2 Previous Next 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2009 4:56 PM by RSS

Slipstreaming Intel Matrix Storage Drivers in XP

I was hoping someone on this board could help me with slipstreaming Intel's latest Matrix Storage driver into an unattended XP install CD.  I am looking to slipstream the files as TEXTMODE drivers, which should make the task easier.  Unfortunately, all efforts to do this so far have resulted in failure.

First, before I tried anything, I slipstreamed SP3 into XP, copied my WINNT.SIF file to the I386 directory of the CD, and created a bootable XP unattended install disk that works like a charm.  So I know the basic disk works.

Second, I modified this base XP install CD as such:

-At the root of the CD I created a directory called $OEM$ and then created a folder within that called TEXTMODE. Inside this $OEM$\TEXTMODE folder I copied the files from Intel's latest F6 floppy (f6flpy3286.zip):

-In the I386 directory of the CD, I created a folder called $OEM$ and once again, copied the contents of Intel's latest F6 floppy (f6flpy3286.zip).

Note: So I now have two directories that hold the contents of Intel's latest F6 floppy: $OEM$\TEXTMODE and I386\$OEM$

-Then I modified the WINNT.SIF by changing the line OEMPreinstall=NO to OEMPreinstall=YES

-Finally, I added the [MassStorageDrivers]* and [OEMBootFiles] sections to the WINNT.SIF as below:

"Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller" = OEM
          "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller" = OEM
          "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

*The OEM entries under [MassStorageDrivers] came from the [SCSI] section of the F6 floppy's TXTSETUP.OEM file.

-After all this, I make a bootable CD like before and test it.

Now, technically, this should work.  But each time I've tried it, I get the following error during XP's TEXTMODE install period:

"File TXTSETUP.OEM caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

Does anyone know what needs to be modified to get this to work?

BTW, I'd rather not use a program like nLite since it makes changes I'm not aware of and I would like to keep this as clean, simple and straightforward as possible.

1 2 Previous Next