4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2011 4:58 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Intel D945GNT mobo harddisk speed is slow

Ninja_gamer101

hello friends,

first of all i want to tell ou that i am not much in hardware stuff, so please be a little detailed with me for what i need to do._______ ok that apart ,here is my problem i am facing from last two months and i have tried many methods given in this forum and other places where i can find something relative on google i tried almost everything in them.

here is my hardware/software configuration:

1. Intel chipset- Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
      2.Memory Controller: 82945G/GZ
      3.I/O Controller: Intel(R) 82801GB/GR I/O controller hub (ICH7/ICH7R) SATA Controller found in IDE mode
      4. graphic cards : nvidia geforce 6200 turbo cache(i guess it doesnt relate with my problem)

device ide mode is : ultra dma 5 for harddisk and system OS is: win 7 prof.

the problem is that my old 160 gb hard disk gives speed of 50mbps data rate(i use super copier to check it with large files)
      while the new harddisk is only giving me ~25-30mbps data rate while dma mode is same for both .

FYI: old hard disk is now removed from system and i am using this 500gb harddisk only

i have tried uninstalling ide device and reboot system ,even tried the dma reset.vbs found on net for speed problems.
      also tried changing data cabel(red id) with new one and port changing for harddisk. even tried reformatting on disk.

somewhere i read that new harddisks have more speed in AHCI mode (i have no idea whats that) but my hard disk is very slow as you can see now, if you can please help me about how can i make it atleast at that old drive speed Or can i use AHCI mode for my hard disk.

• 1. Re: Intel D945GNT mobo harddisk speed is slow
          Ninja_gamer101

Manufacturer Intel
          Model D945GNTL
          AA Number AAC96315-405
          BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
          BIOS Version Intel Corp. NT94510J.86A.4089.2007.0718.0501
          BIOS Release Date 07/18/07
          System Memory 2.0 GB
          Built-in Audio Driver Component Sigmatel STAC9220
          Built-in Audio Driver Version not detected

this is the mobo specs.

• 2. Re: Intel D945GNT mobo harddisk speed is slow
            Flying_Kiwi

Your board is not officially supported by Win 7 due to its age but you may be able to get it running OK with this OS. The support page for the D945GNT is a good place to read up on your board - the manuals covering BIOS settings will be downloadable from the docs menu on the left. To install the AHCI drivers you'll need to follow the 'F6 installation' routine outlined in the F6readme.txt file contained within the Intel RST flopy disk drivers. This will likely mean that you'll first need to go into the moptherboards BIOS setup and change the settings for your HDD controller over from IDE to AHCI (see the manual earlier referred to on how to do that). To do things properly, this will also mean a full OS reinstall from scratch is reqd. so if you haven't already backed up any of your important data, do so before proceding!

In summary:

1. Back up your important data to external media
            2. Download the RST drivers, other 945 chipset drivers and motherboard manual. As your board is so old, everything other than the manual will have to be obtained by searching for Win 7 drivers for the (discontinued staus) Intel 945 Express chipset. You may also be able to find compatible Intel ME and Audio drivers on the Intel website that'll do the trick - have a good search. Save these to external media.
            3. Make an F6 RST driver floppy as described in the F6readme.txt
            4. Change your motherboards BIOS settings over to AHCI (from IDE - use the motherboard manual for instructions)
            5. Reinstall Windows from scratch following the F6 installation method described in the F6readme.txt

You may also find that flashing your motherboards BIOS to the latest version helps (especially with Win 7 compatibility). Again the readme pdf on the latest BIOS download page explains things. Lots of reading up to do!

Let us know if any of this is unclear

• 3. Re: Intel D945GNT mobo harddisk speed is slow
              Ninja_gamer101

Thanks for answering my question though i have few doubts:

1. will going ahci or raid improve my disk speed on this mobo as it is ich7 family?

2. i have win 7 do i need reinstall, or not?

3. is floppy drive my only solution cause i dont have one , can pendribve work as alternate to it?

4. also the page link yo  gave says The F6 installation method is not required for Microsoft Windows Vista* or Microsoft Windows 7*.

thnx

• 4. Re: Intel D945GNT mobo harddisk speed is slow
                Flying_Kiwi

In order:

1. AHCI may offer a performance improvement over IDE depending on your drives capabilities. It supports features such as Native Command Queuing and usually adds additional powersaving functionality/compatibility. Certainly given you have a 1 TB HDD (which can't be that old), it's likely this will support NCQ so you should give AHCI a try (no need for RAID though and with 1 HDD it won't be possible or show up as an option, irrespective of your chipset). This link will tell you what your chipset is capable of (although your motherboard manual should also cover that).
                2. See this link: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022239.htm - not essential, you can just run the exe within Win 7 (from the actual HDD). If it was my PC I'd perform a fresh install.
                3. Same link above
                4. Same link above - Vista and Win 7 come with native support built in but (as with almost all native OS included drivers) it's reccomended that these native drivers are replaced with Intels latest.

You could just backup your data to external media and try flipping the motherboards relevant BIOS setting over to AHCI and see if Windows boots up (this may fail though, necessitating a full reinstall) but if it was my PC, I'd perform a reinstall of the OS anyway. Intel RST (which covers both RAID and AHCI drivers), has it's own support section here with lots of information so have a good read! Again, let us know any further Qs.

Additionally, here's an artical I came across comparing each - exactly the sorts of things you were asking about.