1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 11:28 AM by Javed Lodhi

What exactly is a Core Duo 2 processor with Centrino technology?

I work in retail and am new in selling computers.  Now although I'm not totally igonrant when it comes to computers, I am still relatively new.  I just sold a customer a computer with a Core Duo 2 processor with Centrino technology, but was wondering the difference between that processor compared to the Centrino 2.  Doesn't the Core Duo 2 with Centrion technology support Wireless N as well as the Centrino 2?  I mean, what's the big selling point here?

• 1. Re: What exactly is a Core Duo 2 processor with Centrino technology?
          Javed Lodhi

Dear Guest,

Core Duo 2 is Core2Duo meaning a dual-core processor with shared L2 Cache unlike CoreDuo processors which do have 2 processing core but the L2 Cache of each core is not shared with the L2 Cache of other core.

Centrino is a platform-marketing initiative from Intel. It is not a mobile CPU - rather, the term covers a particular combination of mainboard chipset, mobile CPU and wireless network interface in the design of a laptop. Systems equipped with these technologies should deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability.

One of the significant difference between Centrino and Centrino 2 technology is that Centrino supports Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset Family with Intel® Graphics while Centrino 2 supports Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset Family with Intel® Graphics. Furthermore, recommended technology for Centrino 2 is Intel® Turbo Memory. Centrino does support 802.11a/b/g and n and so does Centrino 2 however in Centrino 2, you have the option of upgrading it with WiMAX built into your laptop powered by Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology. Adding the optional WiMAX technology will position you at the cutting edge of 4G wireless.

For more clarity on Centrino and Centrino 2 technology, you must read the following:

Centrino 2

I hope this clarifies it however in case you need further clarification or have any queries, feel free to contact us.

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!