2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2011 5:55 PM by ExpertNovice

SATA Raid Controller (what is difference?)

ExpertNovice

New Win 7 64 bit system came with a WD 320 GB 5400 RPM SATAII drive and had the followng sata raid controller installed.

Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/PCHM SATA RAID Controller
      8.9.2.1002 2009-08-07

That drive was replaced with 2 Seagate Momentus 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3G drives.  (looks like I made a poor choice... sata vs sata ii, but not sure)

When the HDD was formated the following sata raid controller was installed

Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
      8.6.2.1015 2010-08-06

What is the difference between the controllers?

• 1. Re: SATA Raid Controller (what is difference?)
          john_s@intel

The primary differences between SATA and SATA II are 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s data rate, some encoding differences and NCQ capabilities. The ICH8M-E and ICH9M-E SATA Controllers are both 3.0Gb/s (SATA II) capable. The Seagate Momentus 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3G looks to be a SATA II HDD judging by the SATA "3G" indicator.

The "controllers" you reference in your post are actually drivers for the ICH8M-E or ICH9M-E embedded controller. The Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/PCHM SATA RAID Controller 8.9.2.1002 2009-08-07 is dated August 7, 2009. The Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller 8.6.2.1015 2010-08-06 is dated August 6., 2010. The later looks like a later driver from the date code, but the version number seems reverse.

I suggest getting the latest and correct driver from your motherboard manufacturer to be sure you're using the correct one.

Good Luck,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SATA Raid Controller (what is difference?)
            ExpertNovice

Thanks.  I will do as you have suggested.  If I can prove your answer is "correct"  (looks correct to me, along with being quite thorough) then it will be marked correct.

The "reversed" date/version number also confused me.  Originally, the system came with a SATA II and the Momentus (if my recall is correct) is a SATA 3G.  There appears to be differenced between II and 3G beyond the name but nothing that matters the typical end user but maybe to those who create drivers.

Thanks, again, for the response.

Jim