3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 3:16 AM by Flying_Kiwi

DH67BL issue with 6GB and 3GB sata ports

Norris

Hi,

I'm using a DH67BL board without issues (other than this...) ... but there is no way I can get both a 6 GB SATA port active and also a 3 GB SATA ports active.

I have three devices

1 Tb - SATA 3

500 GB - SATA 2

DVD - SATA 1

I can plug any combination into the two 6 GB ports and they work fine, but whatever I plug into the 3 GB ports they are not recognised by the BIOS.

Has anyone come across this, and fixes, or a bad mobo ?

Regards

Chris

• 1. Re: DH67BL issue with 6GB and 3GB sata ports
          Flying_Kiwi

Norris wrote:

I have three devices

1 Tb - SATA 3

500 GB - SATA 2

DVD - SATA 1

I can plug any combination into the two 6 GB ports and they work fine, but whatever I plug into the 3 GB ports they are not recognised by the BIOS.

Firstly, is this board one that has had the Sandybridge bug rectified so it's at least a B3 stepping - if not get it RMA'd under warranty. I assume the above applies when using the 6 GB ports ie if you plug everything into just the 3 GB ports, all works fine? Have you a recent BIOS version installed? Have you correctly configured the BIOS? Given standard HDDs can't transfer data anywhere near fast enough to utilise the full bandwidth capabilities of the 3 GB SATA ports yet (with the exception of cache transfers), there's little advantage in using the 6 GB ports unless you have high performance SSD storage. That said, you should still be able to get your devices correctly recognised in the BIOS so something is not right.

Is this a new build that you've just assembled? Have you double checked for the obvious things like insufficient power, incorrect board mounting with the board tracers making contact where they shouldn't and correct connection of all parts involved (using the correct cables)?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DH67BL issue with 6GB and 3GB sata ports
            Norris

All good ideas, hopefully I've exhausted most of them.  It is an early board just before B3, but supplier was not keen to return it early after bug first identified - the bug reportibly just degrades peformance, I'm a tad further doiwn that track :-)

- I used the original BIOS, but also did an update to the current verrsion - no diff

- Did a BIOS defaults reset, no diff

- I'm trying to hook up a SSD, it suffers from the same issues, it doesnt matter what I plus into the 6gb port - all good, but anything plugged into the 3 = no response

- I've had it built for a while, and ages ago now (months) the DVD disappeared (on the 3gb port), no reason I know why, just recall it going and couldn't spot the fault at the time. Didnt bother me too much, but now I'm sticking in a SSD i'm looking to get it sorted.

The only thing I havent done is stick them all into 3GB ports ... I'll give it a try.

I've dropped the supplier an email also, see if they will take it back on the current issue, let alone B3.

Thanks for the response, its good to hear some good ideas and feedback :-)

Cheers

(I'm assuming youre in NZ also )

• 3. Re: DH67BL issue with 6GB and 3GB sata ports
              Flying_Kiwi

Norris wrote:

I've dropped the supplier an email also, see if they will take it back on the current issue, let alone B3.

Thanks for the response, its good to hear some good ideas and feedback :-)

Cheers

(I'm assuming youre in NZ also )

As the Sandybridge bug is a known issue Intel is addressing with their boards, the supplier definitely should RMA it and get you a newer one (and free of charge). In turn their supplier will also reimburse them so it should be no skin off their back.

I've been in the UK now for nearly 12 years after I emigrated from NZ in 2000.