3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 3:17 AM by vladk2k

SRT interoperability issues

martixy

I do hope these forums are visited by intel reps, because short of that there doesn't appear to be a valid and comprehensive source of information on this topic(even in intels own documentation).

What I want to do for a storage solution is this(with a Z68 mobo):

1 SSD drive, part boot drive, part SSD cache(a.k.a. SRT)

2 RAID0-ed disks that make use of the above mentioned cache

1 Big media strorage drive for... well, media storage

How would I go about making that work(and keeping TRIM as well, since from what I understand SRT is some kind of special RAID0 and RAID and TRIM don't play well together).

• 1. Re: SRT interoperability issues
          allan_intel

Hi there!

TRIM mode is supported only if your hard drive is not part of an array. In this case, you will accelerate your SSD hard drive and this will become RAID 0.

Thanks

Allan.

• 2. Re: SRT interoperability issues
            martixy

Could you elaborate a bit more on the whole setup.

The main question was actually about splitting the SSD into two parts - data section(acting as a boot drive) and cache section.

I have since found that technically there is a way of doing, it's just WAY too complicated.

Are there any plans to simplify that process?

I also read that intel plans to add TRIM to RAIDs in with an upcoming RST update. Is there a time frame to that?

• 3. Re: SRT interoperability issues
              vladk2k

I have a RAID1 volume in an array accelerated by an 18GB volume on the SSD - the remaining 65 GB (90 GB SSD) have been used to install the operating system.

What I did was to boot with the old operating system, enable acceleration on the SSD - this created the two "RAID 0" volumes (I've put RAID0 in quotes because that is the way they are displayed, even though there is no RAID0 array, only two volumes marked as "data" and "cache") , and then boot with an OS install disk to install on the remaining space.

It doesn't seem that complicated - the only issue is that you need an OS to be installed on the HDD before configuring the acceleration.