Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

82579LM Drops connection repeatedly on 100Mbps Network

idata
Employee

Platforms Tested:

Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Lenovo X220 with 82579LM ethernet adapter drops connection about every 5 seconds and then reconnects

Driver version tried 11.8.84.0 and 16.7 / 11.13.51.0

Tried forcing Rate to 10Mbps and the connection was maintained, but TCP/IP conenctions for running applications are dropped about every 5 seconds

Tried on 1Gbps network and the connection is NOT dropped.

Tried connecting to a different 100Mbps switch and the connection is maintained.

I don't know the make/model of the switches. I don't have access to them. I tried the connection at different physical locations.

Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Lenovo X201 with 82577LM ethernet adapter does not drop connection on same network and cable

Application TCP/IP connections are maintained.

Does anyone know of a solution for this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi RickB,

I like the cool helicopter avatar you chose to use in the Intel communities.

You might be running into a situation where the signal from some switches or on some cables doesn't quite meet Ethernet specs. That might explain why you do not have the drops connecting to some switches, but you do have an issue when connecting to other switches.

Watch for the next software release, which I expect will be available soon. By soon I mean you will find counting the time until the next software release in days rather than weeks. Depending on the exact cause of your drops, a driver update may or may not help, but I think the next driver has a good chance of helping you.

The other thing is to make sure your computer has the latest updates to BIOS and/or firmware from Lenovo. I have not checked to see if the X220 has updates available, but as a general rule, these updates can affect your built-in network connection.

I am looking forward to hearing about your results from any updates you make.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos