As many of other guys who have experienced that, I woke up one morning with "Operating system not found" and BAD_CTX as serial number.
I was thousands miles from home and I only had the laptop itself and Ubuntu Live CD.
I immediately started reading this forum and found the following:
- the contents of the drive is not restorable in any case;
- latest firmware 0362 (for my intel 320 series) does not resolve the issues;
- the best way is to begin an RMA procedure to stimulate Intel fix their ****.
Unfortunately it's not so easy to RMA the drive in a country where I was especially when you don't have a printed purchase confirmation.
The support also INSISTED on using a SSD Toolbox tool which is Windows-only, requires:
- .NET 3.5
- Windows Media Player 11 redistributable
Pretty odd requirements for an SSD diagnostic tool which is Windows-only, ergh?
So I spent the whole day trying to work around space limitation issues when running from flash, installing Wine, installing DLLs to prove to WMP11 my "Windows" machine is "Authentic". I've tried several different Wines, several DLLs. All with no luck. My hot kisses to this tool's developers.
So I've started to dig deeper on my own.
Install the tools from:
$ sudo apt-get install hdpam partx smartmontools
Ensure there's no partition table:
$ sudo partx -s /dev/sda
partx: /dev/sda: failed to read partition table
$ sudo smartctl -s on -d ata -A /dev/sda -T verypermissive
smartctl 5.41 2011-06-09 r3365 [i686-linux-3.0.0-12-generic] (local build)
Copyright © 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, smartmontools.sourceforge.net
SMART support is: Unavailable — device lacks SMART capability.
=== START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
Error SMART Enable failed: Input/output error
$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda
ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: INTEL SSDSA2CW080G3
Serial Number: BAD_CTX 00000150
Firmware Revision: 4PC10302
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16
$ sudo hdparm –user-master user –security-set-pass abc /dev/sda
$ sudo hdparm –user-master user –security-erase abc /dev/sda
$ sudo hdparm –user-master u –security-erase-enhanced abc /dev/sda
$ sudo hdparm --dco-restore /dev/sda