3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 6:46 PM by scottdavis

IRST 10 inits rebuild on standby

tocguy

After updating IRST to version 10 my system now initiates rebuild whenever (I think) the system goes into Standby mode. Its an EVGA E760 mobo with 4 Seagate ST31000340NS drives in Raid 10. Neither IRST nor DOS SeaTools indicates which drive, if any, caused the error.

It's a multiboot system with Win XP Pro and Win Vista Ult 64. In XP the Windows System Event log will register about 20 Event 9 timeout errors before successfully starting the rebuild. In Win Vista, the Windows System Event log will register just a single Event 9 timeout error before starting rebuild.

This has now occurred about 15 times.

HELP?

• 1. Re: IRST 10 inits rebuild on standby
          scottdavis

It sounds like your system is not entering Standby cleanly.

Have you made sure your BIOS is up-to-date, as well as the version of RST that you are using?

• 2. Re: IRST 10 inits rebuild on standby
            tocguy

Hello Scott,

Can you point me to a resource for how to "cleanly" enter Standby?

I've tried all version of IRST and am currently at 10.8 and was in rebuild while writing the original post last night.

Thx.

• 3. Re: IRST 10 inits rebuild on standby
              scottdavis

I had a problem similar to this myself and could not solve it.

There was something buggy with the OS and/or RST.

Whenever I would shut down my computer, RST would not be stopped cleanly, and the next boot up virtually guaranteed a rebuild status.

I was not really offering a solution as much as a diagnosis.

I moved the array to another machine, and that was my solution.

In your case, since Standby is involved, you might want to upgrade your BIOS because standby issues can be caused by bugs lurking there.

If not there, then perhaps a driver on your system is causing it, so you might want to updates those as well.

If that fails, there are still lots of possibilities - your power supply, some other hardware and/or software conflict - it could take a long time to figure out the cause, and there might not be a cure once you find it.

This is why when strange things like this issue happen, you best be ready to either: 1) spend a lot of time playing with your system. or 2) give up and use a different system.