4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 2:47 AM by phiiil

Migrating 4 disk RAID5 from ICH10R to Cougar Point PCH

phiiil

Hi. Basically, is this possible? I have 4 2tb disks on a Asus P6X58D-E board in RAID5, about 5tb of data in the array. I have just bought an Asus P8Z68-V PRO. Can I just plug these 4 drives into the 4 SATA 3gb/s ports on the new mobo and it will recognise the array from the ICH10R controller on the previous mobo? I know of somebody who has done this with a RAID1 array but I fear it may be more complicated with RAID5.

Any help greatly appreciated, I can't currently afford the backup storage with the flooding in Thailand pushing HD prices up so if somebody has tried this before (moving a RAID5 to a different motherboard) or knows that it would or would not work, a concrete yes or no would be helpful before I try it.

edit - I have just seen this http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-022435.htm (Moving a RAID volume to a different system), which is definitely encouraging! Do I need to plug the drives into the same number ports on the new mobo or is it clever enough to figure that out for itself?

• 1. Re: Migrating 4 disk RAID5 from ICH10R to Cougar Point PCH
          PeterUK

Yes you can move any RAID form a old Intel chip to a newer Intel chip being that it backwards compatible just enable RAID in the BIOS of the new board before you install a OS on another drive.

If the OS is on the RAID array you are moving it may not boot the OS on it but the array will be fine.

• 2. Re: Migrating 4 disk RAID5 from ICH10R to Cougar Point PCH
            phiiil

Thanks very much Peter, that's what I needed to hear.

The OS isn't on the array, it's just media storage. So I just plug the four drives into the new motherboard (in any order) and enable RAID in the BIOS and it will sort out the rest and present me with my RAID5 array as if nothing has happened? Is it best to install Windows (on an SSD, not related to the array at all) first before plugging them in or does it not matter? I assume I will just install RST in Win and the array will pop up as it is now on the ICH10R?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Migrating 4 disk RAID5 from ICH10R to Cougar Point PCH
              PeterUK

Its best to installed the OS first with RIAD enabled and with the newest RST before plugging the array on.

The order doesn’t really matter but there is reason for doing so should the array fail due to two or more drives having just their boot info corrupted and being able to recover the array (not supported by Intel as a tool for doing this), this has nothing to do with the array being degraded if one drive fails as having them in any order will be fine to recover the array.

If you wish to put them in order make a note from RST (not MB) the port and serial number its the order thats important not the port so if you had this:

port 0 sn 00001

port 3 sn 00008

port 4 sn 00009

port 5 sn 00002

You can move them to:

port 2 sn 00001

port 3 sn 00008

port 4 sn 00009

port 5 sn 00002

Like I said its not important to do this any order will do and if one drive fails running as degraded it will still be fine.

• 4. Re: Migrating 4 disk RAID5 from ICH10R to Cougar Point PCH
                phiiil

Thank you, I will report back if I have any problems.