0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 1:42 PM by L.Bigelow

USB controller memory leak?

L.Bigelow

Hello! I have a memory leak, showing up as a gradual increase in Pool Nonpaged Bytes until finally a BSoD occurs when it hits the limit.

perfmon-2011-12-01-09-08-crop2.png

Systernals Process Explorer showed a lot of registry activity, attempting to read the nonexistent value
      "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\UsbFlags\FlushPortPowerIrpsFlag".

I have no idea what that means, but it got me looking more closely at the USB controllers.

If I disable some of my controllers, the leak slows down; if I disable all but two, the problem seems to be fixed.

I currently have the 2330, 2831, 2832, 2834 and 2836 disabled in Device Manager, and the 2835 and 283A enabled.

devmngr-USB-30-32,34,36 off.png

Even with only two controllers I can still connect a mouse in USB 1.1 mode and two external drives in USB 2.0 mode.

If I want to connect my USB floppy drive, I have to re-enable some more controllers temporarily.

OK, so what's my problem? It works doesn't it? It's an almost four year old laptop; I probably zapped the chip somehow...right?

Or have I screwed up a driver update? Does this make sense to anyone?

EDIT - I should mention one more thing: around the time I noticed this, I had added an ExpressCard USB 3.0 adapter and HDD.

Thanks for reading this.

08 MSI laptop, MS-1719 (aka GX700) from AVADirect

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz T7500

2GB DDR2

XP Pro

CHIPSET: Intel Crestline PM965

Intel ICH8 USB Controllers (x7; 5 UHCI & 2 EHCI)

driver ver 9.1.1.1016