Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Monitor sleep leads to constant "device connect" / "device disconnect" sounds (and other very annoying issues)

idata
Employee

I had been running an HP w2207 monitor with an AMD setup for about 3 years without any problems using the digital input. Just "upgraded" to an i5 2500k system. Running Win 7 64 bit before and now.

The w2207 works with the 2500k system wonderfully -- until power saving settings turn the monitor off. Then I'm subjected to a constant symphony of "device connect," "device disconnect" sounds. The only way to stop it is to turn those sounds off in the windows sounds screen, or to prevent the power saving system from turning the monitor off at all.

I just added an HP 2311x as a second monitor, and the problem doesn't happen with that monitor, which is a couple of years newer.

Lately, when the computer recovers from S1 standby, the 2311x comes up, but the w2207 is not even detected. I have to reboot my system for my Intel 2500k system to see it again.

I don't have these problems using VGA with the w2207, but I want to use the digital input (the quality difference is quite noticeable). Again, I had no troubles of this sort with the w2207 on my AMD system right up to the day about a month ago that I moved to the Intel 2500k system, and have been having these problems with the Intel system from jumpstreet. So this very much appears to have something to do with the way the w2007 communicates with the HD 3000 graphics in the Intel. I was using the 2509 driver, and just updated to the 2550 driver, with no change.

I hope somebody can help. That "somebody" would probably be Intel with a driver update, but I'd also love to hear if anybody can suggest a temporary workaround.

BTW, my system is rock solid stable otherwise.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

In order to fix this issue with your HP W2207 monitor, you may try the latest Intel HD graphics driver 15.22.52.64.2559:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20676&ProdId=3319&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20Enterprise%2C%2064-bit%20version*&DownloadType=%0ADrivers%0A

Additionally I recommend you contacting Hewlett-Packard* and install the latest monitor driver if it is available.

Regards,

Dago MC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, but I mentioned that I had tried the updated driver (I think I referred to it as the 2500 driver, when as you point out it is the 2559 driver). I also made sure that I had the latest monitor driver, and am using the latest BIOS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers a couple of times.

Intel, have you tested this series of monitors and S1 sleep on the i2500k? This series of monitors was hugely popular, and there are doubtless many tens of thousands of them still in service. There is no (good) reason that they should not be fully compatible with Intel GPU/CPUs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having this issue. I am using board DH67CF with a core I3-2100t

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel, can you let us know where you are on this issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel, it has been more than 2 weeks since you last replied to my query, and since then another board member said he has the same issue. Is the best you can tell us that we should go out and buy a separate graphics card so we can use basic computing functions?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ignore customers much, Intel? I asked for support, another customer chimed in to say they had the same problem, and you ignore the problem. Is that considered "best practices" in support by Intel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's been a couple of weeks since the last post, and months since the first post. Intel tech support, please provide tech support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

On a hunch, I tried a much earlier driver, 2279, from a year ago. Under the ancient driver, my monitor makes only a single "device disconnect" sound going into monitor sleep (no "device connect" sound), and it resumes from S1 sleep. Although I'm glad to have found this temporary workaround, it demonstrates conclusively that this is a driver problem. Accordingly, Intel, I hope you will acknowledge this as a driver issue and promise a fix. Users should not need to run year old drivers, and trade improvements in speed and other attributes that typically come with newer drivers, for basic functionality.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update: I'm finding that the w2207 sometimes does not come out of sleep with the older driver, but that I can restore it by disabling and then reenabling the display adapter. Again, Intel, this appears to be a driver issue, with the older driver imperfect but better than the newer driver. Can we expect you to address this issue in a driver update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having similar problems with my HDMI connected TV/AVReceiver. The solution (as provided by other Graphics companies) is to have an option on the graphics driver to disable monitor Auto-Detect. It should be a fairly simple option to add, but so far Intel has not agreed to add it. In fact the best I got was that support "may forward this feedback to the appropriate team for a future consideration."

It is possible that there is a registry key to control this behavior already, but support will not discuss it.

--B

idata
Employee

Intel, you have no shame. What will it take for you to address this longstanding issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the exact same issue. If I forget to turn my primary HP monitor off before the dual monitors go to sleep, the graphics subsystem disconnects and reconnects the device over and over. After hours of this, eventually system usually blue screens. So, it's effectively impossible to have a stable, always-on system without excessive power consumption.

The primary monitor has been used with several other Windows 7 systems, with Nvidia and Radion drivers, with no problem. I'm using Core i5-2500K CPU. Have tried many different versions of HD 3000 Graphics drivers.

How hard would it be for Intel to add a driver option to disable automatic monitor detection? This seems to be the standard practice, and it would not require Intel to test the driver with many different monitor models.

I am extremely discouraged about Intel as a result of the lack of support or any attention to this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem, is there a solution for this annoying problem? Every time that I turn of my monitor I hear the connect and disconnect sound, and the worst part is the the resolution flickers when I turn the monitor on which screws up open windows and icons, everything on the desktop becomes mixed up. Who's bright idea was it to implement this feature and how can can it be turned off?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have same issue. Just built 2 "identical" computers with the following specs - differing in the Monitor only (detailed specs below).

The computer with the HP w2207 monitor connected via DVI (note that this monitor also has a USB hub connection in that it has a USB "in" and allows 2 USB devices connected to the side) will NOT go to sleep IF the monitor has already attempted to go to sleep (in which case it just cycles making USB device connect "bink/bonk" noises). Note that everything works IF you tell the monitor to never go to sleep and the computer attempts to sleep - this issue happens when (the majority case) the monitor attempts to enter sleep mode before the computer. Once the monitor attempts to sleep, it does go dark but then makes connect/disconnect "bink/bonk" noises in an endless loop and prevents the computer from entering sleep mode.

- ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

- G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

- Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC

- Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Windows 7 Pro w/SP1 (6.1.7601)

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Video Bios 2124.0

Intel Driver Version 9.17.10.2875

I am going to try the following:

- See if using VGA instead of DVI connection gets rid of issue

- See if disconnecting the monitor's USB cable (and thus disabling the USB ports on the side of the monitor) work (not acceptable but just want to see if it affects it).

- Check to see if there are any more recent Intel video drives or HP monitor drivers.

Please post here if anyone finds a solution.

NOTE: If you set your monitor to NEVER SLEEP, this seems to work (gets rid of the cycling bink/bonk noises and computer will eventually sleep), but really do not want my monitor to stay on for a couple hours until my computer enters sleep mode.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I just built a new computer with i7-3770k, and I am also having issues with the w2207 as original poster has said. Once the w2207 display turns off to save power the usb connect and disconnect loops until I wake it up. Has anyone solved this issue? I have latest intel drivers.... I am connecting using hdmi to dvi cable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PMeye1
Beginner

Go to - control panel - sound - sounds tab then scroll down and click on device connect. In the pulldown under sounds in lower left, scroll up to select {None} at the top. Repeat for device disconnect, apply, OK and close. It won't make noise for any hardware connections, but you should enjoy the peace.

0 Kudos
SReus
Beginner

Thanks to the tip, but the problem is also that windows don't like it very much and after a hour or longer the system is unusable.

0 Kudos
ASalv3
Beginner

I have the exact same issue, but i use 4770k and gtx 780 sli.

Before i got the bluescreen yesterday, i did not have these sounds when the screens went to sleep.

And before that when i got my new ssd's in raid 0, i had those sounds randomly happening even when the screens where on, but they disappeared after a while.
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Please make sure you have the graphics driver installed. Here you can get it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Here you have some installation instructions:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

Please update completely the BIOS to latest version and run all windows updates.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
SReus
Beginner

I have also the same problem and no update has fixed it. The problem is since month and no reaction from intel ... next time no intel gfx.

0 Kudos