4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2011 7:37 AM by Dryne

win7 backup failing on dx58so2, sort of

texgeekboy

I had 2 WDC Blue Caviar 500 GB SATA drives (6 GB/s) connected to the two 6 GB/S ports) running Win7 Pro X54.  I am using 1 for the OS drive (C drive), and the other exclusively for the images of the daily Windows backup.  In spite of running chkdsk on the drives all the time, the backup would hang well before the halfway point.  I had a spare SATA drive connected, so I tried backing up to that, no problem.

I just took the 6 GB/s backup drive off the 6 GB/s port and connected it to another port, and the backup ran fine.

I suspect there is a problem with running backup on Win7 when the C drive is connected to one 6 GB/s port, and the backup drive is connected to the other.  Has anyone else observed this?  The drives are in AHCI mode.

• 1. Re: win7 backup failing on dx58so2, sort of
          Dryne

I am guessing that Windows is probably logging some information you would find in the event viewer that may give clues as to the issue.  Can you check event viewer's Windows Logs for any relevant information?

• 2. Re: win7 backup failing on dx58so2, sort of
            texgeekboy

Thanks for the idea, but I have been looking for that.  The MS site has info about where to find it, and to be honest I didn't see it was all that helpful.

I need to add that the backup hangs at different points (24%, 33%, 42%, etc.) of completion.  My BIOS is at the latest revision.

I initially thought it was a win7 or disk problem until, as a last ditch attempt, moved the disk off the 6 GB/s port onto one of the 3 GB/s port, and the backup has run nightly without a hitch since.

I've done software development for 30+ years including some low-level I/O, but not at the BIOS level.

While this could be a win7 software issue, I am thinking it is a BIOS issue.

• 3. Re: win7 backup failing on dx58so2, sort of
              Dryne

It could be a faulty cable where the issue only presents itself at SATA3.  I encountered this problem with my SSD drives, and the message in the event viewer gave the answer.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: win7 backup failing on dx58so2, sort of
                texgeekboy

Thanks, I'll look into that the next time I'm tooling around inside the box.  For now, since the backup is running unattended and correctly (I hope), speed isn't an issue.