2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 1:17 PM by Primuspilus

Smart Response with Windows 7 on the SSD?

Primuspilus

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could clear up something for me, as there seems to be a lot of conflicting information concerning Smart Response out there.

I have a new system running a Crucial M4 64GB SSD as main storage - my plan was, and is, to add a HDD and enable Smart Response (I blew the budget on my build, so wanted to wait a month before adding it).

Now that I've researched the tech., I'm concerend that I have my W7 OS on the SSD, so the 100MB boot and recovery partition is there.  If I try to add the HDD and configure the SSD to be a cache, will the partition be deleted and so Windows 7 irreperably broken?

Can anyone advise, is this correct, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here - do I need to clone my OS and drivers etc. to the HDD, then wipe the SSD, disconnect and enable Smart Response?

Grateful for any advice.  My relevant system specs are below.

Many Thanks.

i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz

Gigabyte-GA-Z68X-UD4-B3

Crucial M4 64GB

Corsair XMS3 @1600MHz

• 1. Re: Smart Response with Windows 7 on the SSD?
          millersh

I have personally tried this on one of my systems.  The partition table on the 64GB SSD will be lost, thus resultingly in the loss of your OS.

If i were you, I'd do the following:

1)  Clone the OS and drivers to the HDD

2)  Disconnect the SSD and boot from the HDD to verify the clone worked

3)  Upon confirmation that the HDD boots, connect the SSD and delete its partition using disk management in windows.

4)  Then enable Smart Response Technology.

Note:  I hope you installed the original Win7 OS with the BIOS in RAID mode (not AHCI mode).  Otherwise you will need to reperform the OS install.  Smart Response requires that RAID mode is enabled in the BIOS.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Smart Response with Windows 7 on the SSD?
            Primuspilus

Many thanks for this - you've pretty much confirmed what I expected.  It looks like the slightly longer way around to fix it than I had hoped, but at least I will be able to make full use of the 64GB for caching.

Cheers,

Nick