Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Raid 5 failed not accessible

idata
Employee

I have a RS2BL080 controller with 5 SATA 3TB hard drives. One of the drives failed and just got a replacement. Nots ure if I did it wrong but I booted into the bios, and saw the fifth drive was in red and missing as it was before. Associated the new drive with the virtual drive. The missing drive dissapeared. Clicked on the drive and said Online. Immediately went optimal. Didn't say it was rebuilding. Went into Windows and couldn't access the drive said it was corrupt. Pulled up the Web Console and showed the original 4 drives were under a Patrol Read state. Closed the web console and went back in and the patrol read was gone. Tried doing a consistency check. Got the below a bunch and then said it was disabling reporting due to to many errors.

Controller ID: 0 Consistency Check found inconsistent parity on VD

strip:

( VD = 0, strip

= 0x2a40)

Am I out of luck? What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Does the RAID Web Console show whether the drives match firmware?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply. Here is where I'm at. All drives HAD the same firmware. CC44. I sent in the drive the was always causing issue and they replaced it with a refurb of course. So now it seems all is working however the refurb drive has CC45. I tried to get this from Seagate however they say it's a factory only firmware and isn't given out. So I now have two different ones. Not sure if I should be concerned.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Hmm. My instinct says "if it's stable now, leave it alone". If Seagate isn't concerned about the mismatch, it's probably not an issue.

How long did you have the original drive in production, before it failed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They aren't concerned as I never mentioned the raid. I was asked however I know the answer would be we don't support it with these drives.

0 Kudos