2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 11:16 PM by aruntechie123

Impact of setting Hardware Acceleration to None

aruntechie123

Hello All,

We get a blue screen (igxprd32) while right clicking "My Computer" in the left pane of Windows Explorer. If I turn down Hardware Acceleration to Zero, then there is no blue screen and all is fine.

My question is : What is the impact of setting Hardware Acceleration to None?

FYI, We operate in a corporate business environment and will affect many such laptops.

XP Professional

SP3

A few details of the harware are :

HP Elitebook 2560p

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family DRAM Controller - 0104

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1C10

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26

* All drivers are latest as per HP website

Thanks for your assistance.

• 1. Re: Impact of setting Hardware Acceleration to None
          dnickason

The first thing I would do is see if Intel has a newer driver than HP is offering you.  I normally recommend getting drivers from the OEM, but it's possible that HP just doesn't want to test Intel's newer driver for their older hardware, so they're not staying current with Intel.  Make sure you have the HP driver available in case of a bad result, but I've never had an issue with a driver from Intel.

Secondly, r-click issues can be caused by shell extensions.  If you go here and get the free Shell Extensions Manager http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - just run the executable (there's no installer).  Turn off all the 3rd party (non-Microsoft) shell extensions and see if the problem still happens.  If yes, re-enable everything and move on.  If no, re-enable one at a time or small groups until you see which shell extension is causing the blue screen.  You can then either upgrade the app in question, leave the shell extension disabled, or contact the vendor tech support for the app in question.

Lastly, hardware acceleration.  Probably the best thing would be to just disable it and see what happens.  If you start having a bad experience with graphics-related tasks, you'll probably have to contact HP and hope for the best.  But especially on business PCs with minimal graphics needs, you might not notice enough of an effect to matter.

• 2. Re: Impact of setting Hardware Acceleration to None
            aruntechie123

dnickason, Sorry I missed your reply. I later determined in Jan'12 that a new driver from Intel had been released and used that. I had already tired r-click extensions but they did not work for me. Finally, yes we just tinkered with hw acceleartion and no issues were observed.

Thanks very much for your advise. A bit late though :-)