Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Which Processor to use for a workstation in the financial industry

idata
Employee

Good Morning,

I'm a new user in this forum. My company is a small hedge fund in the financial industry and we are looking to replace our old worstations with newer ones. We are a bit confused with the choice of the processor, mainly the differences between an I7 and a Xeon and what we should take. These workstations will need to run 24/7 a lot of financial related software like bloomberg, reuters and other real time programms. All our important data are already saved on a server (that we are not intending to change => we are just looking at individual workstations). Typicaly, we often have something like 8-10 Excel opened, 1 bloomberg, 1 reuters, 1 matlab / mathematica, 1 Eclipse / 1 Visual studio and some background processing for simulation purposes. We don't care about graphical performances or multimedia performances, it's all about having a strong and reliable computer that can support an important amount of load (a lot of programms running a the same times for long periods). It's not really a matter of how fast computation can be done but rather more how much program can we run efficiently without the computer crashing or being too slow (is it a RAM problem ?). Money is also a concern as the price differences seems important between the 2 processors.

What could you advice ?

Thanks

rgds

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please provide the RAM part number, it is usually a long number so we can find the specifications of that RAM.

Also provide the processor model that you are currently using so we can check voltage requirements.

I would suggest either the 2nd generation Core i7 processors or the Intel® Xeon® processor for your needs, in this case since you will be running many applications at the same time, then the more cores the processor has, the better performance the system has, since it can handle more tasks at the same time.

Also you need to take in consideration high amount of RAM since you will be running many applications at the same time on the same system.

So you might want to think about 8-16 GB RAM.

If you need to compare the features of our processors please check this link:

http://ark.intel.com/ http://ark.intel.com/

From there you can select any processor family and then you can compare different models, even from different families side by side.

0 Kudos