Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

How do I Install an INTEL WIRELESS 4965AGN 802.11N 300MBPS MINI PCI-E CARD

idata
Employee

Should I start crying or simply just keep banging my head on the wall?

I want to install a INTEL WIRELESS 4965AGN 802.11N 300MBPS MINI PCI-E CARD on my Dell Inspiron 9400. My faithfull old laptop (2006) is still going strong, but the old original Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection is a bit slow and limited to a max 54Mbps.

I thought installing it was going to be a simple, straight forward procedure but I cannot get the computer to recognise the new card. This is what I did:

1. Downloaded the drivers for the card from Intel - Wireless_14.2.0.10_v32.exe

2. Uninstalled the old Intel driver and software

3. Removed the old 3945ABG card which had two antenna connections

4. Installed the new drivers and software

5. Installed the new 4965AGN card, connected the previous antennas to terminals 1 & 2 and third antenna to the centre terminal 3.

6. Re-booted

First thing I noticed was no WiFi light came on on the laptop, then I got a taskbar popup message saying "A physical WiFi Adaptor is not installed etc."

Can anyone advise on how to do this and get it working?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello systeman,

I've noticed that you are installing an aftermarket Intel(R) Wireless Card on your notebook.

In regards to your inquiry, Installing an aftermarket wireless adapter in your laptop can cause several issues which may affect usage of the wireless adapter or laptop. Some of these issues may include the following:

- The OEM may have installed the wireless adapter with a lock to prevent installation of another adapter.

- Your adapter may not be electrically compatible with your laptop that may cause the adapter and/or your laptop to no longer function.

- Wireless hardware installation and use is subject to regulatory approval, and the adapter purchased may not support your local regulations.

W would recommend and encourage you to contact Dell* to determine if the product is approved for use in your laptop, as they can provide a validated hardware list specifically for that model.

For additional information, refer to:

Intel® WiFi Products - Upgrade or exchange Intel® wireless adapter hardware

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006006 http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006006

Intel® WiFi Products - Why doesn't my laptop recognize my new Intel wireless adapter?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Systeman,

I would recommend downloading version 13.4, as driver version 13.4.0.139 is the latest release that actually supports the 4965 model.

Stitchz,

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. You gave a very diplomatically crafted response that redirects a support request to Dell, a response that might be appropriate after making an honest attempt to look into the question posed. You obviously did not take the time to read the first page of search results for '4965' in this forum, or you could not have missed:

/message/140992# 140992 14.2.0.[1]0 - ProSet contains no driver (or lacking inf) for 4965AGN, which creates incompatibilities.

/message/141110 http://communities.intel.com/message/141110

Furthermore, an entire month has passed with no response whatsoever to that post, a post that is 100% accurate and verifiable in under 10 minutes. The 4965 AGN is incorrectly listed as a supported model, it is a trivial mistake that is entirely understandable. What is not understandable is why the issue has been reported to you, in more than enough detail, and the fellow who took time out of his life to write not one, but two posts, letting you know about an error that he found the solution to, and no one has even acknowledged it? d3v14n7, in fact, appears to have created an account for the sole purpose of doing Intel a favor by letting you know about this issue.

If that's how you want to run your support forums, I can live with that, it's your business--not mine, and that's ok.

What's not ok is giving a response that wastes the resources of another company. If Systeman made a call to Dell, then you are personally responsible for wasting the time of that Dell employee [b]because you did not bother with a 4 character search on your own support forums before giving a form response making it someone else's problem.

Be lazy if you wish, but remember that you're taking time out of someone else's day when you respond the way you did without even the simplest check to make sure you're responsible first.

I came to these forums to post the problem/cause/solution as d3v14n7 did, as well as a few other intel driver problems/causes/solutions, but apparently it wouldn't actually help anyone.

I know this is a rant, I know it's harsh, and if you slipped up and feel badly about it, then I apologize for my harshness in advance-- and all is forgiven if someone, anyone at Intel, replies to d3v14n7 with so much as a 'Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'll look into it'.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think I've dropped a match in a box of fireworks!

Thanks for the driver info. After checking it out I downloaded the driver 3.4.0.0 for Windows XP 32 bit. I noticed it was a 'Previously released' version dated 11-29-2010.

I'll carry out the same installation procedure and keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. I'll report back here.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I should have mentioned that I had a 9400 recently that I put a 4965 in. I got worked up

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It'll be interesting to see how the upgrade goes.

I even contacted the seller of the NEW card and he was unable to exlain why it would not work and started giving advice like "resetting the BIOS" and so on..

I thought that's definite no no, and gave up.

Anyway, with my 9400 and original old card I'm maxing at 15.4 Mbps upload and 13.4 upload with my WiFi connection to the router. That's with BT's broadband FTTH connection of 100Mbps (97/98 in real terms).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

once i was also getting the same problem with my machine but it was actually resolved after installing proper drivers, thus you should make sure whether the one the that you have installed (as you have metnioned)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

you shoudl make sure whether the driver that you have installed in your machien works pefectly, in fact they are compatible with the card that you have installed and as well as with the operating system.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would like to recommend you that you shoudl try to reinstall the drivers and while installing that you should also make sure whether the are compatible wtih the OS and with the hardware that you have installed. when i was searching about the same i came across this http://forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/1447263.htm thread and they have clearedly mentioned this only.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
SSapp
Beginner

My Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965 card can use only 2 antennas.

Black to 1 (main)

Gray to 2 (aux)

No problem.

0 Kudos