14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 7:16 AM by davidtrierweiler

"The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"

Stim

Hi!

When I try to use the Intel SSD Optimizer I get the following message:

"The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD.

Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again."

I'm using: Intel SSD 320 Series 80gb, and I have the latest firmware installed according to the Toolbox.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae3/stimpacked/Untitled-2-3.png

Anyone knows if I really do have the wrong drivers, and if so, where do I get proper drivers?

• 1. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
          Nathalie@Intel

Hello Stim,

This error can show up if the drive is recognized incorrectly. You can check this in device manager. Double-click on ‘disk drives’ then double-click on your Solid State Drive then on the details tab. In the details tab click on the drop down menu and select hardware Ids, this will display several lines these all start in a similar way: IDE\DiskINTEL … if this is the case then the drive is recognized correctly by the motherboard. If it starts different like SCSI/Disk… then you would have the incorrect drivers.

Also note that the drive must be connected directly to an internal SATA port for it to be recognized correctly by the Toolbox.

If the issue is actually related to the driver, in that case the drivers you need to look for are the ones from the motherboard; these can be specifically SATA controller drivers, or they could be integrated into the chipset drivers.

You may also try connecting the SSD to a different internal SATA port if you have another one available, since most desktop systems have a two SATA controllers, each SATA controller uses separate drivers.

For help to find device manager you may refer to the link below it lists the steps for most Windows* versions: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

• 2. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
            Tanger

How exactly do set up the correct drivers for the SSD?

I have installed the toolbox and the Rapid Storage Drivers. I try to uninstall the device in the hopes that it get recognized correctly. Nothing.

What can we do?

Thanks,

Tanger

• 3. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
              Hopper64

I would like to know this too since I am having the same issue with my new 510 SSD. Windows sees the drive as SCSI in device manager with the current drivers. Thanks.

• 4. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                Hopper64

Anyone from Intel have anything else on this? Asus has replicated this issue with Intel's sata driver on the new x79 chipset. My Asus Rampage IV Extreme board reports my Intel 510 SSD as a SCSI and the toolbox won't connect with the drive, unless I roll back to the native microsoft AHCI driver. With that, the esata ports don't work. Anyone from Intel have a solution here? Thanks.

• 5. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                  Tanger

I filled out a support request and the response was the sound of chirping crickets.

At this point, I'd be happy with the native MS AHCI driver. The marvel driver keeps reinstalling itself even though I delete the Marvell driver files.

Really dissapointed in Intel. I'll be skipping switching my next  MB to Intel.

The only thing we can do is warn others behind us in places like Newegg and Amazon. It might help them buy another brand.

It seems we are on our own to figure this out.

• 6. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                    Hopper64

Yes, you are probably correct. The techies at Asus are working on it, but I just don't know what's up without Intel fixing this. I would have thought that someone would have installed the toolbox and seen the issue before all the new hardware was out. ??? I would be happy with the native driver too, but my esata ports won't work. I guess I hear those crickets.

• 7. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                      Abacus

I had the same problems with the toolbox and couldn't update the firmware also. I followed the advice and replaced the storage controller driver for the standard windows drivers (open device manager as administrator and search manually for the driver, it shows up in an options field). Afterwards the ssd was recognised by the toolbox optimizer.

• 8. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                        Hopper64

Yes, that's my solution too. Found out also that my esata ports are controlled by a different controller, Asmedia, on my motherboard. Different driver was needed. So I'm at the same point too using the native windows AHCI driver from 2006. Thanks.

• 9. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                          starblazer

I am using the P9X79 Extreme board along with Intel 320 - 160gb SSD.   My Intel Toolbox also cannot communicate with it.  Using the C600 Sata AHCI Driver as well.   Has there been any resolution for using this driver? 

How do I go back to the native MS driver?   I tried deleting the C600 driver from my device manager.   On my next boot up, it just reinstalled it again.

• 10. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                            Hopper64

OK. To go back to the native MS driver, I would first uninstall the C600 Intel sata driver from add/remove programs first, and then reboot. (But my limited understanding is that this does not completely remove the RST enterprise driver.) Then go to device manager to your SSD drive and update the driver there per this post:  http://communities.intel.co.jp/message/78453   Look at Polo127's post. That will help you. It is a different hardware configuration, but the principle for rolling to a different driver is the same. You will be prompted to reboot.

But as I alluded to above, I don't think the RST driver is completely uninstalled. I would really just reinstall windows (I am using Windows 7 64) and do not install the RST driver if you don't have a RAID configuration. That is what I did for my machine. I have an Asus Rampage IV Exteme board. I just noticed today that Asus has removed this Intel SATA driver from the SATA driver section in the downloads for this motherboard. They know there's an issue here. You may want to look at the threads at the Asus website on this. It did help me and I hope this helps you. I don't know what the status is on resolving the issue with this driver.

• 11. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                              davidtrierweiler

So it clearly IRSTe will not work on a solo 510...will it work with 510s in RAID 0?

• 12. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                                Hopper64

That's what the IRSTe driver is for. It is for a RAID configuration from what I am understang from the guys at Asus' website on this issue. As for RAID 0, etc, specifically, I don't know as I don't have a RAID array with my machine. I don't think the trim command is passed to the drive in RAID mode, so you may wish to do more research on this before you proceed. I understand this may change in the future. I just reinstalled windows 7 64 without using this driver for my single ssd, and the toolbox works fine without it. But I was planning on doing this anyway. Hope this helps.

• 13. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                                  davidtrierweiler
                                  That's what the IRSTe driver is for. It is for a RAID configuration from what I am understang from the guys at Asus' website on this issue. As for RAID 0, etc, specifically, I don't know as I don't have a RAID array with my machine. I don't think the trim command is passed to the drive in RAID mode, so you may wish to do more research on this before you proceed. I understand this may change in the future. I just reinstalled windows 7 64 without using this driver for my single ssd, and the toolbox works fine without it. But I was planning on doing this anyway. Hope this helps.

Aha!  You are correct.  I see now that is what the 'enterprise' in the name indicates.

Based on forum comments here and pretty much all over various web/internet forums it looks like a lot of people new to SSDs are installing the IRSTe because it comes with their driver set and trying to make it work with single SSDs.

I have been looking at the wrong documentation (IRST not IRSTe) that came up in searches which reinforced/perpetuated the issue.  This makes a whole lot more sense now.

As to RAID 0, on these newer SSDs it looks like garbage collection has supposedly is greatly improved relative to the previous iterations and depending on the implementation used may be or may not be better with or without its implementation of TRIM enabled so that is something I will have to look at.

--- Addendum

I will add that it looks like there is not much reason to go to RAID0 for real world gains.

• 14. Re: "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD"
                                    davidtrierweiler

Yes but not every drive to be detected by this is necessarily going to be part of the RAID array so it should NOT have issues with non raid drives.  I notice a new IRSTe version has been posted so I will give it a look at least (with careful use of restore points).