2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 8:38 AM by mglennpooh

VT-x,d,c:What do I need to optimize V?

mglennpooh

I recently bought an i7-2600k with VT-x but neither VT-d or VT-c assuming I don't need these or if I do then I can work around via the chipset(?). In August, I had bought a refurb HP G60-637CL/Intel T4400 which soon crashed while trying to install & operate Virtual Box due to the lack of VT-x via the processor. Now I'm procurring the components for a Software Development & General Purpose Student Desktop but worry I may be blowing my $$ on the wrong processor by paying too much heed to classmates who mostly play video games vs study. On the other hand, I don't mind a little overkill for graphics so long as I'm nailing two birds with one stone. I also have Ubuntu 11.10 installed on my Win7 Laptop (above) via Wubi (virtual disk installion) which works fine without VT-x,d,c because the two OS don't operate simultaneously - I must choose one or the other immediately before the boot within 10 seconds or then Win7 boots by default - but I'm told this is not a long term solution due to HDD Fragmentation(?). I expect to replace this HP Laptop for a Lenovo or other due to the lack of VT-x, Matte Screen, & eSATA or USB3, and later this tentative Sandy Bridge Desktop too for an Ivy Bridge (sometime next year?). I also bought an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard for the i7-2600k...(please feel free to comment).

#1) VT-x via i7-2600k should let me run through temporary Virtual OS like potatoe chips - true or false?

#2) I understood VT-d,c were only necessary if you wanted the V-OS to make coffee(-d for peripheral devices) or use the phone(-c for connectivity) while the Host-OS is busy doing something else simultaneously - true or false?

#3) If I wanted VT-d or c I would need either a different processor, OR, I could work around via a chipset or what??

I tried submitting this question two times before and was initially approved then later rejected after I tried to edit. I hope 3rd time is the charm.

• 1. Re: VT-x,d,c:What do I need to optimize V?
          mglennpooh

OK, I've done some further research and came across an Intel video survey presentation for IT Managers by some guy named Garcia regarding the importance of VT-d as a Desktop Tool for personnel who want to have dedicated memory via their Desktop for their Smart Phones so they can slip in & out without interupting the normal tasks of the Destop while they're roaming for meetings. lunch, or after work, and,or, for their supervisors who want to check on a few things, without the hassle of obtaining the attention & cooperation of the Host OS. In other words, the peripheral device in question in regards to VT-d is a Smart Phone, Laptop, or the Boss, not a printer or coffee maker as I suggested earlier(...why would they need dedicated memory in the Desktop?). I'm guessing VT-c is an additional feature for VT-d to enhance remote connectivity (or also for VT-x to enable an internal Guest OS to call out? which is what I desribed earlier too). If VT-d,c have nothing to do with internally installed Guest-OS then I have nothing to worry about when I do a work up on Windows 8 or Macintosh or Linux via Virtual Box etc.on my Win7 Machine. There may still be some unanswered questions though for those who are considering a complex array of virtual servers, but this answer may help demystify the main confusion most including myself seem to have with this issue.

• 2. Re: VT-x,d,c:What do I need to optimize V?
            mglennpooh

I hope someone with expertise in VT-x,d,c will help confirm or deny what I've suggested so far in the preceding two posts, as well as provide whatever additional information so we consumers have some idea what it is we're getting ourselves & our $$ into. Having to talk to myself in a public forum for a lack of feedback can be rather unproductive if not also wierd. HELLO ANYBODY THERE???