Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000PSL - continuous long beeps during successful boot

idata
Employee

I just swapped out the power supply on a server-workstation with an Intel S5000PSL motherboard. The board has no additional expansion boards on it, the only connected peripherals are a SATA DVD drive and a four-bay SATA drive cage containing one hard drive.

When I start up with the new power supply, there is a short beep - long beep at the instant of power-on (this is normal) followed by infinite long beeps. However, the system boots normally, beeping all the while.

What do the beeps mean? The only clue I have is that the beeps do not occur when I disconnect the power to the SATA drive cage-- but the cage and drive are not malfunctioning since, again, the system successfully boots to completion. It's just these infernal beeps. The various available documents on this board mention a number of beep codes but "infinite long beeps" is not among these. What do the beeps mean? How do I stop them?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Almost sounds like a raid controller / expander in the system?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree that's what it sounds like, but there simply isn't a separate RAID controller installed. Is it possible that the onboard RAID system is making the beeps?

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Do you have a part number on the drive bay?

or maybe a photo?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was just now taking some stills and video to share with the forum, and in so doing I inadvertently confirmed that the beeping does originate from the drive cage (put my finger over the "blowhole" component from which the beeps were emanating). That confirms this issue to be off topic for this board, so I've marked the question answered.

The workstation was built to order from parts by a firm we've used in the past. I'll drop them a note and see what they have to say.

But for the curious: the drive cage / SATA backplane was bundled with the chassis, a Chenbro SR105 series.

Attached is an image of the backplane (in normal operation a cooling fan is mounted over this panel). "Blowhole" is the round black thing in the center along the top

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

...aaaand SOLVED!

Was able to find specs on the backplane fairly easily, discovered that there are in fact TWO cooling fan connectors at the bottom there, and I had the single available fan plugged into the "fan 2" slot, which was causing the alarm condition of a supposed failure in fan 1. All I had to do was move the cooling fan connector to the "fan 1" pins, and the beeping stopped.

Thanks for the dialogue, Doc_Silvercreek... it really helped me arrive at the answer.

BL

0 Kudos