1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2012 6:25 AM by alientech

Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI

JayTalbott

OK, I've read some other threads about this issue (such as this one and this one), but haven't come across a definitive solution.

I've built an HTPC as follows:

Intel DH67GD motherboard

Latest BIOS

i3-2100

8GB of Kingston DDR3

HDMI out

64-bit Win7 SP1.

I'm currently setting up the system in my office, connecting it to a Dell U2410 via HDMI, but when finished it will feed into an input in my A/V receiver.

Everything works fine until I install the Intel graphics drivers. Then it locks up on boot 100% of the time. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong and have started over from scratch re-installing Windows at least 4 times now, until I figured out the problem is with the graphics driver. Booting into safe mode works fine, and if I revert back to the standard VGA driver, Windows boots fine, so the problem is clearly an issue with the graphics driver.

For the record, I've also recently set up two other desktop PCs, both using an Intel DH67CL motherboard, one with an i5-2500K and one with an i7-2600K, each with 16 GB of RAM, and both with 64-bit Win7 SP1, and neither one of those systems has given me any trouble with the Intel graphics driver. In both of those installations, the PC is connected to dual monitors, the first via DVI, and the 2nd via HDMI.

So this is either an issue with driver support for the i3-2100, something different between the DH67GD and DH67CL motherboards, or something about using HDMI for the primary (and only) video output.

Robert_U, what's the latest on a solution for this problem?

Again, it is 100% repeatable using a DH67GD motherboard and an i3-2100 with 64-bit Win7. Same problem whether I use the graphics driver included on the CD that came with the motherboard or the latest one off the Intel support site.

Thanks,

- Jay

• 1. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
          Flying_Kiwi

Sorry if I'm asking you the obvious but you are trying to install the x64 version of Intel drivers (rather than x86) on the PC connected just via a simple DVI monitor aren't you? Whenever there are problems like this, it's always worth going back to basics and simplifying things as much as possible. How did you update to the latest BIOS for this board. I've read of a case with a recent 67 series board (not sure if your specific board was mentioned) where an Express update caused problems and a USB thumbdrive .BIO file update on a bare, simple system was required to fix this.

Have you installed your monitors configuration file (inf) for your OS?

• 2. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
            JayTalbott

Yep, I was installing the x64 version of the drivers. And I was connecting the PC to the monitor via HDMI.

I updated the BIOS using the .BIO file on a CD. I've verified that I have the latest BIOS version.

Installing the monitor inf file before the video driver made no difference.

However, the situation has actually become worse. After several iterations of starting over, I remembered one thing I forgot to configure in the BIOS, and that was that I wanted to boot UEFI instead of traditional BIOS so that at some point I can support hard disks larger than 2TB. So I changed that setting, and started over installing 64-bit Win7. The installation goes fine until, after the first reboot during the Windows installation process, when Windows transitions from the Windows logo screen to the next screen with the ongoing dialog boxes pertaining to the Windows installation. At this point the video goes all haywire, and the machine locks up, leaving the Windows installation in an incomplete state. I've started over several times and this happens every time. So when using UEFI instead of traditional BIOS, I can't even get Windows to install anymore using the on-board video support. I get the same result whether I use HDMI or DVI between my HTPC and the monitor.

Oddly, I used the UEFI BIOS setting on my other two PCs, and they had no issues installing Windows using the on-board DVI + HDMI for video to the same monitors. So this is definately some weird issue related to the i3-2100 and/or the DH67GD motherboard.

I finally said the heck with it and ordered an inexpensive nVidia GT 520 based video card, which is more than sufficient for my HTPC application. But it irks me that the on-board video is so problematic, as it should just work. I should get the video card sometime next week, and hopefully everything will go smoothly from there...

• 3. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
              Flying_Kiwi

Before spending money on a non-essential discrete graphics card, at least try Intel Tech Support. You should NOT have to go spending money to fix this and it should be up to Intel to help you through to get this working on a fairly standard system. When people give up without really trying all available options to fix a problem and then go away disgruntled that the thing didn't work, it's bad for all involved because it makes people such as yourself believe there's an inherent problem with this board and its compatibility with your CPU (which there isn't because your CPU type is listed as being fully compatible on Intels website). Something else is causing this problem.

You mentioned you have the monitor connected via HDMI - for faultfinding purposes, I'd be using a DVI connected monitor at this stage as the DVI interface is much more mature.

It sounds like you would benifit from resetting your BIOS to load default settings and possibly even unplugging the mains and removing the coin cell overnight, then putting it back in and restarting. If the BIOS settings become corrupted, this is a good way to restore them back to default values. Attempting to use UEFI may be contributing to the problem but given using a > 2 TB Boot Volume in the future will need the OS reinstalling on the new Boot volume anyway, you may as well just be using old fashioned MBR BIOS booting for reliabilities sake at the moment and walking before you attempt to run. When you've got your graphics problem sorted, then think about custom configurations. If this is a new built PC that you've assembled from scratch, were all the CPU socket connectors / pins in order with none bent and no fingerprints on either (I hope you didn't touch either in the gold areas)? Perhaps a CPU socket/pin inspection and CPU re-seat can be carried out at the same time as your motherboard BIOS reset. Somthing like this MAY be caused by a CPU pin connection issue given the graphics are now onboard the CPU. Is your PSU up to spec for your system and is it a quality brand that you can trust to actually perform to spec? Some things to check.

• 4. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                JayTalbott

Fundamentally, I agree with you regarding working out a solution through Intel support. However, that takes time, and I just want to get my system working, and the $35 (net after rebate) I'm spending on the alternate video card is worth it to me if it solves the problem. I had considered a descrete video card anyway for this system, as it supports additional features not supported by the on-board video, so this problem just pushed me over the edge to buy one.

As I mentioned in my original post, it seems from reading other threads on this forum that several other poeple have run into issues with the Intel on-board video, so this isn't just an issue with my particular system. Just because the Intel website says things are compatible doesn't mean there aren't issues. Grahics drivers in general are notorious for having problems.

And, as I previously mentioned, using DVI instead of HDMI on this same system has the same results. That was not the case with my other two PCs that used the DH67CL motherboard with an i5 and an i7, both configured for UEFI, both using on-board graphics (DVI+HDMI to two monitors) both also with 64-bit Win7.

Also, I was very careful when installing the CPU, and I'm using a high quality 500W power supply from PC Power and Cooling, so I don't think either of those are an issue. If the CPU wasn't seated quite right or something, I doubt I'd get any video at all to get into the setup screens and/or to begin the Windows installation process.

And, I've already been through the cycles of re-flashing the BIOS, pulling the battery overnight, etc. Nothing has resolved the problems I've encountered.

• 5. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                  Flying_Kiwi

OK good luck with the new card and I understand that time was the dominant factor in your choice. It sounds like you've done everything right and have a system which SHOULD work together fine without needing a discrete card. I know if it was mine I'd still be pressing Intel tech support for a solution though (even if I put in a discrete card as a stop-gap measure - especially as one of their techs has reported in one of those threads you linked to that Intel has tested an I3 CPU in a 67 series board and encountered no such problems).

It is clear you're not the only one with such problems but it's also clear others don't have this problem so I'm not sure its fair to blame this on a compatibility issue without Intel at least having a good chance to check out your particular board / CPU combination (in case it was another 67 series board they tested with). Similarly it MAY be that you have a defective CPU but then others who'd made that assumption and obtained replacements, found the replacement also exhibited the same problems (and it would be very unlikely both the original and replacement CPUs were defective in the same way).

Sorry for misunderstanding the part about you having already tested a direct DVI connection using a non-UEFI fresh Win 7 SP1 setup.

• 6. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                    yf38

Hi,

I am running DH67GD (from january) using only Integrated graphics.

It is usualy connected to a HP2159m monitor using a DVI cable, but at several occasions I am using HDMI only connection to leave monitor's DVI input free for a second system.

I had the opportunity to do this with three DH67GD (the first B2, then two B3).

I updated  almost all the bios and drivers releases for windows 7 x64, when they were  available, and never saw your issue.

The status now is two systems, both with core i5 2500 and 8GB of PC10600 memory (Gskill ripjaws x) running windows 7 x64 SP1 with all updates.

No expansion cards.

Standard bios (not UEFI).

The only issue I had  with HDMI, I already explained in a thread here (and solved) is some initial overscan applied by the driver, which, if compensated by the size tuning feature, makes the screen a little bit bluried, more visible with text display.

This is not a solution for your issue, it is  just to tell that Intel driver and graphics bios (lot of releases) are running two systems similar to your's except the core i5 2500.

• 7. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                      JayTalbott

OK, after trying a separate video card (which simply introduced it's own problems), and all sorts of other messing around, including reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch countless times, I still got nowhere. I finally concluded that I must have a dud motherboard and/or CPU, so I ordered a new DH67GD and a new i3-2105. After they arrived I swapped out the old board and CPU with the new components, and I'm seeing the exact same issues. It doesn't matter if I used VGA, DVI, or HDMI out - if I install the Intel graphics driver, it hangs during boot right at the end of the time it's showing the glowing Windows logo. If I use the standard VGA driver (or boot in safe mode), it boots fine.

I've tried three different variants of the Intel driver:

8.15.10.2219 (10/1/2010)

8.15.10.2509 (8/31/2011)

8.15.10.2559 (10/21/2011)

The last one is the latest one from Intel's website.

I've tried a couple of different monitors, but that doesn't appear to make any difference.

Anybody have any new suggestions?

• 8. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                        JayTalbott

Oh, and I have the latest BIOS installed, and I've run memtest+ (no errors).

Again, on my two other systems that use a DH67CL motherboard (one with an i5, one with an i7, both using the same Kingston memory, both also running 64-bit Win7), the Intel graphics drivers work fine. So this seems to be something that is unique to either the DH67GD, the i3-2100/2105, or the combination of the two.

• 9. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                          yf38

Hi,

Just few words to tell you that I swapped my previous memory (Gskill) for 8GB Kingston (KHX1600D3B1K2) so my system is even more the same as yours except core i5 2500.

Kingston memory is running at 1333 using standard jedec SPD and 1.5V. (reported 1.57).

Graphics driver is 8.15.10.2509 and bios 132,

Bios settings for graphics: allways enabled, all auto mode, DVMT max.

Chipset driver 9.2.0.1025

MEI driver:7.1.20.1119

Sound driver:7.6.0.1.6449,      LAN 16.5      USB3 2.1.27.0   CIR not installed  firewire disabled.

Sata driver (AHCI) from Microsoft, already used Intel RST with no problem.

Windows 7 x64 home premium.

Core i5 2500 (HD2000 graphics)

display: HP2159m using DVI (and sometimes HDMI).

PSU: now Seasonic S12 II 82+ 330W, and also Fortron green 400W, and Antec Earthwatt 500 (the one inside Sonata 3).

When installing the graphics driver for the first time, I remember that, at some point, there was a discrepency between Windows resolution graphics properties settings and Intel's one, and I had to make them the same (1920x1080) before everything run fine.

Not enough times done to be more precise.

• 10. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                            JayTalbott

OK, even though all of the memory tests came back clean, the problem ultimately was still a bad memory DIMM. I tried different combinations of one or both DIMMs installed in various memory slots and in all cases the problem went away when one specific DIMM was not installed. Of course, I only learned this after buying a whole new motherboard (same board) and CPU (i3-2105) and finding I still had the exact same problem. Since memtest showed no signs of memory problems, I assumed the memory wasn't the issue. Also, it's been years since I've run into defective memory, so I just figured it was something wrong with either the motherboard or CPU.

Kingston replaced both of the DIMMs under their lifetime warranty (they wanted me to send back both DIMMs together since they came in a kit, even though it was clear that only one DIMM was defective). However, while I was waiting for the replacements I simply ordered new DIMMs (exact same Kingston part #) which worked just fine once they were installed, and I'm now off and running without any further issues.

Since I now have an extra motherboard and CPU, when I got the replacement DIMMs I put them in that board. I guess I'll just have to build another PC around the extra hardware.

• 11. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                              alientech

I just bought a new MB and it has the latest bios from jan 22nd but the HDMI does not work. The HDMI does work once windows is installed and the drivers are installed but not before. In fact you also need to have some of the settings about maintain aspect ratios not set to have it work in 800x600 modes. I had so much trouble with HDMI that I thought my monitor was not compatable but it all seems to some kind of initialization problem. Even the latest bios upgrade from this week also shows a blank screen if HDMI is selected during bootup. Heck I had such a hard time even registering here for the last month, its all just amazing! I am sure most people would have taken the MB back as bad by now because its amazing that it does not work out of the box. VGA is far easier but I would think by now HDMI would be an option that many people would use when getting a new system. VGA does seem to look far better than HDMI output and I think its a problem with the display driver since video seems far better than text in HDMI mode. By coincidence I bought a VGA connector when I got the system or I would still be trying to get this working. It seems the new bios also fixes some issues with memory not working properly.. Like I seen some comments where certain memory sticks wont work with HDMI mode and replacing them with other memory sticks even the same type will work. But since my display does work once I boot into windows my display does work.. Even though it took a while to figure out how to get it to work at 800x600.. Since it only says HDMI on the display while at HD mode it says 1080p mode.

• 12. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                                yf38

Hi,

I have two systems with DH67GD + core i5 2500 and had no issues, except overscan in HDMI discussed below.

They are from Jan. and June 2011 and ran almost all the bios rev. from this date, now bios 0132.

The first was replaced by Intel (rev B2 to B3)

No issues with memory:

2x4GB then 4x4GB Gskill Ripjaws X PC10600 cas9

2x4GB then 4x4GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX PC12800 running at 1333 (PC10600) by SPD @1.5V.

All without changing any settings in bios.

Running with HDMI monitor HP2159m:

Displays bios screens, and any live CD utility without specific driver,

One issue: Overscan (driver issue) under windows 7 solved as written  below.

Sound is OK to the monitor thru Hdmi câble.

My HP monitor has the capability to receive, from HDMI input, the low resolution when in bios or stand alone utility, this is not the case for any monitor and even less when the monitor is a TV screen.

Check the spéciifcations of your monitor or TV hdmi input.

To solve bad text quality (associated with overscan/resizing), do the following (within Intel graphics window)

define a custom resolution 1920x1080 32bit 60Hz (maybe 59Hz also), and sync good for your monitor.

change the scaling factor to avoid scaling.

Cancel any overscan / underscan at the monitor level.

The text then becomes as good as using DVI, and better than VGA.

Video is also affected but it is less visible.

Have a look at:

http://communities.intel.com/message/133095#133095

• 13. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                                  alientech

Okay I used the custom monitor resolution setting to get the HDMI to display properly.. Yes the text is much sharper and clearer as well..

But like I mentioned, originally it should have displayed something rather than just showing a blank screen until the driver was loaded.  So once I got to this point I already know it works and what all to do now. The sharpness problem is understandable, I figured it was a driver problem and they would update it sooner or later since I had similar problems before and an update fixed it. I have not tested HDMI during boot yet but I know it did not work after the current bios update. The HDMI text display is drastically better than even VGA and a HUGE difference compared to the crappy text that was displayed with the default profile..  Its all part of the process where I could not sign up for a month to reply to this post..

http://www.cybersprocket.com/2011/gadgets/hp-2509m-display-truncating-with-intel-hd-graphics/

• 14. Re: Problem with Intel graphics driver for i3-2100 on a DH67GD using HDMI
                                    cwatkin

I found a workaround to this issue for now. Basically, I took one of those DVI to HDMI converters and plugged the cable into the DVI port of my monitor instead of HDMI. So, I have an HDMI cable coming out of the laptop, then being converted to DVI on my monitor. The Intel HD no longer sees this as a digital TV and no longer runs at 59 HZ with the overscan issue.

For those of you who have the same problem and have an unused DVI port on your monitor, there are several ways to adapt this without spending much money. There are plenty of cables and converters to choose from if you look at buying one online. I cannot say this would work on any monitor but it did on mine. I have an HP 2709m which is a 27 inch LCD and have seen others referencing the same problem with an HP 2509m so I guess it would work on that one too. The one issue is if you only have one DVI port and need it, you will then need to convert DVI to HDMI to input that data. Unless you are using the same Intel HD graphics, it may work fine. Also, maybe this would also work without overscanning??? I don't know.

Anyway, I thought it was good to share this workaround.

Conor

1 2 Previous Next