2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 4:03 PM by steve0814

Z68 and RAID

steve0814

Hi fellow Intel users,

I need a definitive answer to the question of "How many RAID volumes with the Intel Z68 Express storage manager support?"

I am experiencing an unstable system with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3(rev. 1.3) motherboard and two RAID volumes on the Intel controller.

Boot RAID1 on SATA2_2 and 2_3

Video RAID0 on SATA3_0 and 3_1

This MB also has a Marvell controller but cannot support both controllers set to RAID.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Are there any other Z68 MB's that do support more than one RAID volume?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• 1. Re: Z68 and RAID
          Diego_Intel

Hello,

The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology is able to support 2 RAID arrays, and you can set 2 volumes on each one of those arrays.

I suggest you to update your system BIOS and check with your motherboard manufacturer  to confirm compatibility with thee hardware installed in order to troubleshooting this stability issue that you are experiencing and check with them for further troubleshooting possible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Z68 and RAID
            steve0814

Thank you Diego,

According to Gigabyte tech support the Z68 chipset implementation has a shadow RAM limitation that has only room for one RAID array.  I could not find any documented confirmation of this so I am curious if any other Z68 boards have this same limitation.  He said the X58 boards work properly with more than one array.

Another curious thing.  You can set up two arrays on the Z68 but the system will randomly crash.  Not a pretty sight.

Stephen