Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics driver causes random freezes

idata
Employee

Hi all, hopefully I can get some problem resolution finally!

I built a home theater pc and have problems with random freezes. I am using a mobo with the h55 chipset, using onboard graphics from the core-i3 and chipset. After installing the Intel HD Graphics driver, whether it be from Windows Update, Biostar's website (mobo manufacturer), or directly from Intel (latest version, 15.22.50.64.2509), I get random system lockups; the computer is completely unresponsive, and has to be turned off and restarted. The system lasts anywhere from not even loading windows, to ~20 minutes of operation before locking up. All temperatures are normal, and the amount of graphics/processor loading has no bearing on the freezes. Prior to installing the graphics driver, the problem is non-existent. Please help! I have been fighting this on and off since March, and only recently isolated the problem to the graphics driver. Below is my build:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

hec MicroATX case w/ 300w PSU

Biostar TH55 HD mobo

Intel Core-i3 550

LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray burner

Corsair PC3-1066 RAM (2x2gb)

Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA HDD

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi, m090030, I'm sorry for the problems you've had with this.

Have you tried reloading the operating system to discard a software conflict? Or running a BIOS update? How about an older version of the driver?

So far, we have not encountered any similar issues with the driver itself, so I would be more led to believe that the root if the issue is hardware-related. A warranty replacement would be an option if we confirm that after troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jose,

Yes, OS has been reloaded dozens of times. Safe mode makes no difference. BIOS has been updated to the latest release, as well as the original it came with. I have tried getting the driver from all available sources (Biostar, Intel, Windows Update) and all have the same effect.

I finally gave up and installed Linux. Runs flawlessly and fast on the first try, so I'm just going to stick with that for this computer. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

issue is hardware-related.... "quoted" See Intel HD is garbage...

If its a Desktop system your best bet is to buy a nvidia or AMD videocard and use that, Intel HD and the drivers are more problems then their worth...(read the posts here with the graphics problems its mostly driver related and dont forget to turn off Intel HD on your motherboard, and uninstall all drivers...

If you have a laptop join the group of screwed customers.... were all here

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I may just try that. It's in a micro-ATX case, so I have no idea what card will fit in there. And it just frustrates me that the hardware should be able to do just fine as-is. Turns out Linux doesn't play Blu-Rays, so a big part of the reason the PC exists is now gone ... I dunno. I guess I'll search for a micro-ATX video card with HDMI output.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Look up AMD, ATI, and Nvidia... those are the best in video cards... those are what Intel wants to be but their video graphics are technoligy from the early 90's...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

New graphics card fixed the issue. No further crashes!

0 Kudos
VNiel
Beginner

It might be to much for HD2000. try to install an entry card from amd or nvidia.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

Windows Update juste made me to update my HD graphics driver (i5 661 - H57). It freezed while installing it ...

I went back to the former driver and solved the problem.

Is there any other problems like this one ?

Thanks.