14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2011 1:21 PM by prunskunas

DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad

prunskunas

As I understand it, DVI-D only contains digital graphical data, while DVI-I contains both digital and analog (VGA) which one can use depending upon the cable.

On my DZ68DB system, I can use the Intel graphics because I chose a CPU which has a graphics processor.  It includes a DVI-D port and that works fine using a DVI-D cable.

However, on my new DQ45EK system which includes both DVI-D and DVI-I ports, I cannot use digital output.  If I detach the cable from the DZ68DB system and attach it to either of the DVI connections, here's what I see: the Intel BIOS screen and the usual messages, the mostly black XP start-up screen with the cyborg eye, and then nothing.  I never see the welcome screen.

But if I take a cable with a DVI-I plug on one end and a VGA plug on the other and attach it to the DVI-I port, I can see all possible video (my monitor has jacks for DVI-D and VGA).

So what's up here?  It's not the cable or monitor because they work with the other PC.  Did I miss a BIOS or configuration setting?

UPDATE 1: I actually have a DVI-A -> VGA cable, not DVI-I -> VGA, but that is not important, I think.  The monitor is a Sharp 19" LL-T19D1 LCD.  I just found a CDROM for the monitor.  I'll see if that fixes the problem.

UPDATE 2: I flashed the BIOS, had Windows search for the monitor driver with the Sharp CDROM in the drive, and changed the BIOS video type to IGP (or whatever the third option is besides AUTO and PEG).  No change.  And I have the resolution set to normal settings.

I would never have bought this motherboard if I knew it could not output digital video.

• 1. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
          fsofos

I' ve been using this particular motherboards (DQ45EK/DQ45CB) with dual monitor setups, for the last 3 years with no problems at all. I have attached 2 HP ZR22w monitors with no problem what so ever.

I suggest that you check your cables and if possible try another monitor.

Finaly try to upgrade to 0133 Bios (which is the latest) and which includes the latest VGA-Bios (v1930) just to see if any difference.

• 2. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
            Flying_Kiwi

Have you tried resetting your monitor while it's plugged in and attempting to display the Windows XP desktop (not sure what you mean by the Cyborgs eye though - is that the animated Windows graphic?).

Most digital capable monitors have a reset button. Otherwise your monitor may be expecting the signal and settings it detected on your other board you've used it with. Using the right cable (ideally the one supplied with the monitor) you should be able to get a DVI capable monitor working fine with this board (especially given you've updated the boards BIOS).

• 3. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
              prunskunas

First, thanks for replying to this query and my previous one.

When I wrote "cyborg's eye," I meant the mostly black screen with the Windows XP logo and the small horizontal slot mimicking a neon light traveling from left to right.  In other words, it is the XP screen seen between the Intel BIOS and the login/welcome screen.

I see no reset button, just a few other buttons: input, menu, mode on/off.  I will read the manual to see if it mentions a reset capability.

As to the cable, I am using a Tripp Lite DVI-D on my other PC; it is well-shielded with two really fat ferrite cores.  But I will try the DVI-D cable provided by Sharp to see if it makes any difference.

I will post any newfound knowledge later.

UPDATE1: I just remembered there are both soft and hard power switches on the monitor.  I have only been using the soft one.  I will now use the hard one to physically remove power from the device for a short time to see if it needs that sort of reset.

UPDATE2: Sharp did not include a cable with the monitor; I bought one from Belkin and that is my old cord.  It made no difference.

I found a non-operational USB port on the DQ45EK.

Power-cycling made no difference, even with leaving the power off for many minutes.

There is no monitor reset button.  Perhaps the soft power button performs a reset function.

Given the fact that the DQ45EK uses DDR2 RAM and only allows for one expansion card -- a PCIe x1 -- the possibilities for an add-on graphics card are rather limited.

Now I understand why most people do not use Intel native video and instead buy a separate graphics card for video output.

• 4. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                prunskunas

Thanks for replying.

I think the cable is okay.  Both the DVI-D and DVI-A / VGA cables are well-shielded Tripp Lite ones with fat ferrite cores.

I already flashed the BIOS to the latest available from Intel.

As to a new monitor, I was trying to avoid acquiring a second monitor.  I really like my Sharp LCD monitor; I wish they were still making them.

• 5. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                  Flying_Kiwi

What happens if you restart the PC in safe mode (press F5 repeatedly at the start of boot)? Is the 'driver' (more correctly termed a 'configuration file' or inf file for your particular monitor) correctly loaded in XP?

Finally, you mentioned it's a new PC so was the OS preinstalled on the base unit or did you install it yourself (and if so, was this particular monitor connected at the time).

• 6. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                    prunskunas

What do you mean by correctly loaded in XP?  You mean, does Device Manager indicate the device has no errors?  Please explain the process for verifying correct loading.

I allowed Microsoft Update to install the most current (2003) driver for the monitor.  My CDROM is also from 2003, so I thought the drivers are the same.  But maybe not.

I have a question for you.  Isn't there only one driver for a monitor?  There aren't digital and analog versions, are there?

As to the origin of the OS, this is a custom-built PC.  I had a spare power supply, a LGA 775 CPU, a SATA II hard drive, and an old copy of XP Pro 32-bit, and I wanted a spare PC so I bought a DQ45EK, 2x2GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM, a CDROM/DVD drive, and a case and slapped it all together.  The OS is a retail version, not an OEM like Dell.  Yes, the monitor was used during the install, as I only own one monitor (if Sharp still made monitors, I'd buy a 21-22" one).  Are you suggesting that only an analog driver was loaded because the monitor was hooked-up that way at the time?

• 7. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                      Flying_Kiwi

prunskunas wrote:

I allowed Microsoft Update to install the most current (2003) driver for the monitor.  My CDROM is also from 2003, so I thought the drivers are the same.  But maybe not.

I have a question for you.  Isn't there only one driver for a monitor?  There aren't digital and analog versions, are there?

There may be different infs otherwise certainly different parts of the same inf will be used when the monitor is connected using the analog connector to using the DVI one. I'm using the Microsoft provided driver for my monitor or you could use the manufacturer provided one  - it's unlikely to make any difference just for a monitor.

Now, what about my question - what is displayed when you boot the PC in Safe Mode with the monitor connected by DVI? (you can get into safe mode by repeatedly pressing the F5 button from when the POST/BIOS screen appears)?

• 8. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                        prunskunas

When I connect the DVI-D cable to both the DQ45EK PC and the Sharp monitor, press the power button in front, see the Intel BIOS screen, and immediately press F5 once or twice, I see no different behavior than before.  I never see the welcome/login screen.

• 9. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                          Flying_Kiwi

That's probably because you're not succeeding in booting it into safe mode. Try pressing F8 repeatedly at at the start of post or even holding it down - such things can be temperamental and you may need to have several goes - don't worry about holding the key down to much or to long. See this Microsoft page about entering safe mode.

• 10. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                            prunskunas

Yes, you were correct, I never entered safe mode before.

After pressing F5 a few times, I saw lots of driver messages and then actually saw the login screen.  I was able to login.  Obviously there is a big difference between DVI-D in regular mode versus DVI-D in safe mode.

• 11. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                              Flying_Kiwi

Ok we know your monitor is working fine but something about the drivers loading up within Windows during a normal boot situation is loosing the display. It'd be worth re-downloading the graphics drivers for your board (to suit the service pack revision of your OS - ie Latest drivers if you're attempting to install Win XP with SP3 built in) then uninstall the 'problem' drivers using control panel in safe mode and reboot. Let us know how another attempt to install the drivers works this time (oh and make sure you get the 32 bit drivers to match your OS).

Just noted you are using a DVI to VGA cable - do you have a DVI to DVI cable you can use to connect directly to the motherboard port and use the full native functionality?

• 12. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                                prunskunas

As to the second question regarding the cable: for analog I use a DVI-A <-> VGA cable; for digital I use a DVI-D on both ends.  Yes, the cable attaches directly to the motherboard's I/O connectors peeking out through the I/O shield.

Before I update the device drivers, I have a follow-up question.  I do not know why I never looked at this before, but I have two almost identical entries in Device Manager under Display Adapters:

Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
                                  driver: 6.14.10.5132; 9/23/2009

Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
                                  driver: 6.14.10.5132; 9/23/2009

And maybe better yet, I have three entries under Monitor with all three having the same details:

Sharp LL-T19D1-H
                                  driver: Sharp; 1.1.0.0; 3/19/2003

I would think that I need to eliminate one of the former and two of the latter.  Is that just an uninstall within Device Manager?  Do I choose the first one on the list to keep?

• 13. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                                  Flying_Kiwi

It's a long time since I had Win XP (was actually Media Centre version) on my DG45ID but I remember it had 2 listings for the display adapter as you are experiencing. Even Windows 7 Device manager shows 2 adapters if you unhide hidden devices so I think the display adapter entries are correct.

As for the monitor entries, if you only have one monitor connected, I don't see why three entries should be there - are hidden devices being displayed and maybe two of the entries are for the unused connection methods on the monitor? If you simply uninstall the monitors (all of them) in device manager just by right clicking and selecting uninstall in each case, when you reboot the PC, the monitor should be detected and the appropriate entry/entries in device manager should appear.

What happens when you unistall the existing driver in safe mode (from Win XPs add and remove programs section) and then reboot and attempt to install the correct driver downloaded from the top entry on the relevant Intel download page. It should let you boot directly into the desktop using native Win XP drivers (maybe with reduced resolution) after the reboot.

• 14. Re: DQ45EK: VGA good, DVI-D bad
                                    prunskunas

I uninstalled all three monitors and rebooted, only to see all three of them back again.  Maybe there are actually three entries because there are three jacks, two analog and one digital.

I want to make sure I understand which driver you want me to remove through Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.  Do you want me to remove Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver?  I am fairly certain I initially loaded that one from the CD.  You wrote that I "should" be able to see video, but what if the screen is black after the reboot?