3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 2:00 PM by deepak2411

pata external HDD not recognised by intel DH67BL board with window xp sp3

deepak2411

hi,

i had a  Intel DH67BL  mother board, with i core 7 2600k with kingstone 16 gb  ram with NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 1gb graphic

card, with os window xp sp3.i had a old seagate pata hard disk which contain some old photos and data, i want to transfer this to my new computer, but this new i7 has no pata connector on board. i tried to connect it with a usb to sata/ide cable but it doen,t show in my computer and disk management, though it is shown as disk in device manager but shows no driver installed and also doesn,t recognise its serial number. when i connect a sata  hard disk with usb to sata/ide cable it shows up in my computer and functions well.please help me regading this as i have old family photos in my old HDD. the HDD is perfectly fine on a old computer with parallel ata port.

thanks

• 1. Re: pata external HDD not recognised by intel DH67BL board with window xp sp3
          Flying_Kiwi

It sounds like your PATA to USB adapter isn't playing ball with your HDD your attempting to extract the data from. If the drive works fine in an old PC why not connect the two computers together with a network cable and transfer the files that way (or use a USB thumb drive or burn some DVD-R discs with the data). How many MB do you have that you want to transfer onto the new PC?

• 2. Re: pata external HDD not recognised by intel DH67BL board with window xp sp3
            deepak2411

thanks for advice i want to transfer about 200Gb of data and secondly the hhd to usb connector is working fine with SATA hard disk, only when i replace it with my old PATA, it still recognise in device manager but say no driver installed. i even tried driveclean.exe utility to clear all drivers, but it doen,t work. i want to know whether the new intel board doen,t support even external pata hard disk

thanks

• 3. Re: pata external HDD not recognised by intel DH67BL board with window xp sp3
              Flying_Kiwi

If it's 200 GB you want to transfer then most of the methods I pointed out will be unsuitable but a network connection would still work OK for this - especially if you leave it to do its thing overnight.

Just because some of the details are passed to the motherboard via the PATA to USB adapter, does not mean the adapter is necessarily performing ALL of it's duties. Similarly, just because the SATA to USB function of the adapter seems to work OK, this does not mean that all PATA HDDs will also be compatible (especially if they are large drives over 128 GB which require 48 bit LBA support). If connecting the device pops up a box looking for drivers then let Windows go onto the internet and try to find them automatically. If that doesn't work, go to the device manufacturers website and try to find drivers for it there. Failing this being a lack of drivers issue, it looks to me like the problem is simply your adapter is not compatible with that particular HDD. You can test out my theory by trying it with another motherboard.

Do you know what make and model of adapter cable you are using (someone may have direct experience with that adapter)?