2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2011 10:07 AM by Adolfo_Intel

VMWare ESXi - no valid microcode update

gmannorthe

VMWare ESXi 4.1 U1 installed on HP BL490 G7 with Intel  Xeon 5670  .  After installation in the Config logs it shows: 

Is the following an issue I should be concerned about?:

File m4010676860C0001.dat does not contain a valid microcode update for any of the processors.

File 10272010.dat does not contain a valid microcode update for any of the processors.

File m03106a5.dat not contain a valid microcode update for any of the processors.

Directory /etc/vmware/microcode/intel does not contain a valid microcode update for this processor

VMWare tech support does not have any cases logged with this being an issue - does not really know of this issue. I looked in the config logs

by accident and saw this error.  Intel's site lists many OS's for it's latest microcode.dat file for this processor but VMWare ESXi is not one of them.

ESXi is a version of "BusyBox". 

• 1. Re: VMWare ESXi - no valid microcode update
          Adolfo_Intel

Microcode issues are usually related to BIOS not properly recognizing the processor, but since this is happening only after installing specific software like VMWare*, it seems to be software related, however I would still suggest installing the latest  BIOS version for your server system to see if that helps.

• 2. Re: VMWare ESXi - no valid microcode update
            gmannorthe

Thanks Adolfo.  I have the latest firmware and bios already installed. I also just found out 30 min ago that VMWare loads the Intel processor microupdate  post-boot. Even though Intel's site does not list VMWare as a supported OS for their latest microcode update file I am going to try it anyway.  If it breaks I will just rebuild the server since it is not in production yet.  HP Support did not know of this issue either and also has not been able to supply a solution. Still waiting to hear back more from VMWare - since they are ones providing the microcode.dat file.  I also found all my other HP BL490 G7 servers have this same issue.