8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 4:03 AM by BetterToday

Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board

BetterToday

I have experimentally installed an NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board into my DB45ID mainboard.

After uninstalling the NVIDIA card and its drivers again, the audio device is missing. Windows 7/64 doesn't recognize the on-board audio device. Even using Windows System Restore doesn't regain the hardware.

What's going on? How can I reactivate the on-board audio chip without re-installing Windows 7/64? Everything else is working fine...

PS: Perhaps this information helps a bit: After uninstalling (and automatically re-installing) the Intel GMA drivers, sometimes the audio device is back on again. But only until reboot. After following this procedure a couple of times now, even uninstalling the GMA drivers doesn't regain audio device. The Windows Devices control panel doesn't list any audio device.

Your quick help is very much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
          Flying_Kiwi

BetterToday wrote:

I have experimentally installed an NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board into my DB45ID mainboard

I assume thats a DG45ID motherboard you have as neither I nor Google has heard of the one you mentioned. There are Intel provided IDT audio drivers available on Intels website for the board. Download them and run the installation. If you've removed the nVidia card and are back to the onboard graphics, make sure you use the latest G45 Graphics driver (and not just the latest for the motherboard). Let us know how this goes.

• 2. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
            BetterToday

Thanks for replying.

I've tried this already. Unfortunately that doesn't work as the hardware is not recognized by Windows 7 anymore. There is no audio device so the driver doesn't install.

Is it possible that I have acidentally loosened some wire connection from the board? I wouldn't know which cable I could possibly have loosened. The manual doesn't say anything about some jumper setting that would be necessary to run the audio chip.

• 3. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
              Flying_Kiwi

Did you disturb the wires connecting to the motherboard when you removed the graphics board? If not, then that shouldn't be the cause of problems. IF it is a DG45ID motherboard (and you've not answered my question about that) then there is a user manual for the board which is freely downloadable off the Intel Support website. The manual has full wiring circuit diagrams and header pin allocation details - it also has details of how to enable audio is the BIOS SETTINGS (not using a jumper). If all of this is to confusing for you and you don't need front port audio and you are not sure if you've disturbed the case port wires, just remove the cable going from those case front audio ports to the motherboard - they're not needed unless you use those ports.

Now, which board is it that you have (before we go any further - see my earlier post)?

• 4. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
                BetterToday

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I understood is was a rhetorical one. -- You are perfectly right, it is a DG45ID.

I have read the manual thoroughly already, but couldn't find any hint why the audio device shouldn't be working anymore. The Audio device is enabled in BIOS.

What are chances that loose connectors can be responsible for disabling the audio device? I believe I have checked them being plugged-in firmly before I left home on Sunday. Until weekend I can't access my machine.

• 5. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
                  Flying_Kiwi

When you get back to your machine see what happens if you uninstall that Unknown device (right click it in device manager and select uninstall) then reboot... what happens when windows loads up again - what message (if any) appears about installing hardware or drivers etc? Is there any change to how it's displayed in Device Manmager afterwards? Is there a hardware ID value in the properties/details tab under the dropdown list?

I'm posting in another thread also about DG45ID audio so have a nosey of this one as well: http://communities.intel.com/thread/25370

• 6. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
                    BetterToday

There is no "unknown device" - there is simply no audio device listed in Windows 7/64 device manager at all. There is nothing to uninstall because there is no hardware listed to have any driver (even the dummy "unknown device") driver uninstalled. Even selecting "show hidden devices" doesn't display any audio device.

That's my problem. I have even installed Windows 7/64 anew already on Sunday, but to no avail.

The only thing that's strange to me is that in the beginning, after I had uninstalled the NVIDIA graphics card, the audio device was present for a single session after I had uninstalled and re-installed the graphics drivers. Then, at next boot-up, it disappeared again, so I uninstalled and re-installed the graphics drivers again - and, ping, the audio device came back again - for one single session... However, this trick only worked three or four times. Since then, the audio device is completely gone.

• 7. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
                      Flying_Kiwi

BetterToday wrote:

I have even installed Windows 7/64 anew already on Sunday, but to no avail.

So that was after you're first post but before your second? What type of install did you perform (ie did you wipe everything from the hard disk with a custom install or did you choose to reinstall over the top of your current installation preserving your files and settings)? If it was the latter, it'd be worth backing up your valuable data and performing a custom install instead (that way you know any previous corruption isn't affecting your new installation). Are all devices unplugged from all audio ports, if not, this hardware has 'jack sensing' to enable retasking so it may help to try unplugging everything (eg if there's a short in a speaker lead for example). The audio hardware can handle nothing plugged in at all but a short in a speaker lead may cause hardware problems.

It'd be worth finding out what Intel Desktop Utilities says about the status of your audio device - please download and install this if you don't already have it and let me know whats displayed in the circled area shown:

audio disabled.jpg

• 8. Re: Audio device gone after uninstalling NVIDIA GTS 450 graphics board
                        BetterToday

Actually it was right after my second post - hence, on Monday

I did a full custom re-install. I have done this more than twenty times with this machine without having any trouble yet.

This time I couldn't install IDT drivers because no hardware was found.

Thanks for the tip!! -- I'll download that software tool right on Saturday.