0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 2:02 PM by captain_elvis

BLKDG965SSCK BIOS shows .4 GHz processor?

captain_elvis

I put together a PC with the following components:

Intel BLKDG965SSCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM

Intel Celeron E3400 Wolfdale 2.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E3400

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

Everything seemed normal as I started to install Windows 7, but it seemed to be taking much longer than normal.  I let it go overnight until it seemed to just stop running (I later realized it had gone into hibernate and the installer was still in fact running).  So I rebooted and this time checked the BIOS.  Temperatures seemed to be good, 30 C for the processor.  Processor speed was listed at .4 GHz??  I thought I must be confused by the BIOS or something, because that's not possible.  I think it is running at .4 GHz, though.

I figured the problem had to be either CPU incompatibility, a faulty CPU (and/or motherboard), or maybe I didn't have all the power cords plugged in the way they should be.  Someone on another forum linked a compatibility guide, showing that the processor I purchased was not listed as compatible with the board.  Thinking that must be the problem, I ordered a new CPU.

New CPU:

Intel Pentium E6700 Wolfdale 3.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E6700

Same exact problem.  BIOS shows .4 GHz.

The motherboard has spots to plug in case fans, which I did not use.  I thought that might be the problem; maybe it's underclocking the CPU because it thinks there are no fans.  I plugged in some loose fans I had lying around, though, and it made no difference.  CPU .4 GHz.

Today I found a post on this forum that I think that might be the same issue; but I can't say because it's an old post, a different board, and not enough details are provided.

Possibly related forum post (2009):

http://communities.intel.com/message/122087#122087

This leads me to hope it's a BIOS problem and therefore maybe someone here can tell me how to fix it so I don't have to buy a new board.