Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

i3-2100 runs only at 2.5GHz

idata
Employee

The i3-2100 only runs at 1.6-2.5GHz, never reach up to 3.1GHz, even when I try to load it with a lot of computing.

I ran Super Pi 1 million, got 15 seconds to finish.

But if I go to msconfig--boot--adv options--# of processors, choose 3, restart the computer, then the cpu will run at full speed(3.1Ghz). When I change it to default or 4, it slowed down to 2.5Ghz again.

Did i get a defective cpu?

thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

I think that the default for the number of processor box in the advance option of msconfig is uncheck. If you put it back to uncheck try rebooting. Then run Turboboost monitor. Run a virus fullscan and look at the monitor. It should show a fluctuation from minimum to maximum. This condition is normal.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for advice, Boyet.

I tried put it back to default. It didn't work. CPU at 2.5GHz, and 1 million Super Pi takes 16 seconds to finish.

But if I "block one processor" in msconfig, CPU will be at 3.1GHz, and 1 million Super Pi only takes 11 seconds. Weird...Huh

I have also tried re-install Windows 7, still have the problem...

any sugestions?

p.s. i3-2100 does not support Turbo boost

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're right I3-2100 does not support turbo boost. You can use OpenHardwareMonitor instead. Perhaps you should dig up your user guide and specification guide for the motherboard to shed light on your question. You did not provide what mb you're using so I can't help you any further.

0 Kudos